SpecWeb 2.3 Beta 4.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeerround

Staff member
QQ Supporter
Changes since Beta 1

Further improvements in artifact reduction (It sounds better). Tighter Drums, crisper snares, etc. Also more stable sound field on high sample rate tracks.

• Transient detection / threshold is now in dB/ms with a 1.0 dB/ms default.
  • Improved quality for high sample rate tracks
  • Upsample ratio now defaults to 4x

One download for both modern and older (Pre AVX instructions set) computers (updated to 2.3b4.1 on 1/12/2022):

https://surroundbyus.com/sbu/download/SpecWeb2.3b4.1 Release.zip
  1. Download
  2. Unzip to a folder
  3. Click into install folder, for modern computers
  4. Click into "No AVX" folder for older computers
  5. Double click on Install_SpecWeb.bat
Can co-exist with other versions of SpecWeb.

Last edited:
2.3b3 had some quality issues after critical listening, so in this version (2.3b4) I was much more careful to listen to ~100 test tracks before releasing. A variety of production styles, music styles, loudness levels, sample rates, etc.

I just installed 2.3b4 and ran one file through SpecWeb using the default settings. The original file had a duration of 3:33 (a FLAC file 24 bit / 88.2 kHz). The resulting MCH file from SpecWeb has a duration of 3:16 (the file wasn't truncated, but rather was sped up). I ran the same original file again with the same results.

Another observation is that this version of SpecWeb is slower in processing time. It look 2 minutes 47 seconds. For comparison, the same original file was processed using 2.3b1 in 1 minute 25 seconds. I don't mind a longer processing time assuming that it is by design in order to produce a better result.

I'll take a look. Obviously the result should be "bit perfect" in terms of the exact same number of input and output samples (for a single channel).

I can not duplicate your reported sped up results.

What kind of file did you start with? Flac, wav?

Re the time to process, yes this beta takes longer. Since the release I've been working on speedups and will keep you posted. Also feel free to PM me if you want earlier access to stuff that might be better/faster but not otherwise fully baked in terms of all features working.

No luck installing on Windows 11 for me. Other than a brief screen flash, I don't see anything, no icons on desktop, etc.

Did you unzip the folder first?

Oh, windows 11? No idea. I can't run that here. :( :oops:

Please try running Install\bin\Windows_XP_Install.bat as Administrator.

All the registry stuff might be wrong, however, but it's just used to test if you have the dependencies.

Last edited:
Did you unzip the folder first?

Oh, windows 11? No idea. I can't run that here. :( :oops:

Please try running Install\bin\Windows_XP_Install.bat as Administrator.

All the registry stuff might be wrong, however, but it's just used to test if you have the dependencies.
At least it tried with the xp install batch file. lol.
specwebinstall.png

I was able to load it on Windows 11 OK. Got the three SpecWeb 2.3b3 icons on my desktop. I tried it out using a particular track that has worked well in the past, I can't play it right now, but the six channels were created successfully.

@boondocks I think you need to open a cmd window (as administrator) and cd into install\bin and run Windows_XP_Install.bat from there.

@mixfo what steps did you take to install?

I guess I need to fork out bucks to buy a windows 11 computer, as I can't run it, due to TPM (on any of my computers), and can't run it on a VM either.

@boondocks I think you need to open a cmd window (as administrator) and cd into install\bin and run Windows_XP_Install.bat from there.

@mixfo what steps did you take to install?

I guess I need to fork out bucks to buy a windows 11 computer, as I can't run it, due to TPM (on any of my computers), and can't run it on a VM either.
Thanks, guy. I'll try to work through it again in a little bit. Incidentally unless something has changed you CAN install Win 11, although it may not receive all updates which of course is not good.
Got the same thing going on my 2nd rig, I installed and ran 11 for several weeks but went back to 10 and only running 11 on my "newest" intel comet lake mobo. The older rig is 6th generation and runs fine but it is what it is, I guess.

I would not mess up a working Win 10 installation just to help others by installing a partially supported Win 11 and maybe screw oneself in the process, and I doubt anyone would expect you to.

Thanks, guy. I'll try to work through it again in a little bit. Incidentally unless something has changed you CAN install Win 11, although it may not receive all updates which of course is not good.
Got the same thing going on my 2nd rig, I installed and ran 11 for several weeks but went back to 10 and only running 11 on my "newest" intel comet lake mobo. The older rig is 6th generation and runs fine but it is what it is, I guess.

I would not mess up a working Win 10 installation just to help others by installing a partially supported Win 11 and maybe screw oneself in the process, and I doubt anyone would expect you to.
No good from cmd prompt.
If you will tell me what programs need installing I will do it manually. Is the vcredistributable blah blah x86 the only one? How to manually put icons/links on the desktop? (what links in other words)
If all this is too much to dig through right now, don't worry about it. I'll push through deeper later when I get caught up

I don't have any hardware with the right TPM chip, with the possible exception of my main workstation, but that install and bios settings has been so "fragile" in the past I don't want to take any risk with changing the TPM settings. I (sadly) let Dell command update do an update and I was down for days until suddenly, after many attempts to recover and changing bios settings it magically started booting again. As you say it's not worth risking trying windows 11.

Everything is in that .bat file.

MS c runtime: vc_redist.x86.exe
Intel C runtime: .\ww_icl_redist_msi_2020.4.311\ww_icl_redist_ia32_2020.4.311.msi

To make the shortcuts manually: Right click on SpecWeb.exe and click on create shortcut. Then you can drag or copy to the desk top and rename. 3 copies.

Then you can go into the short cut properties and add (after the end quote, with a space)

-A

for asking for command line options

-P1

for "Play" on your default sound device (or change the number 1 for whatever device you want to use)

and:

-P1 -pnone

For play but wait for a remote browser to connect (sitting in your listening position with an ipad or phone to make interactive settings during play)

After downloading SpecWeb 2.3 into my Downloads folder, I opened the zip file with File Explorer, which opened into two folders, 'Install' and 'Non AVX for older computers'. Double-clicked on 'Install' which revealed the 'Install_SpecWeb' batch file. Double-clicked on that, which created a prompt to 'Extract All', which I clicked. That requested a location to open the files to, so I created a folder called SpecWeb 2.3, and the files were copied there. The 'Install' folder re-appeared there, so I opened it and clicked again on the 'Install SpecWeb' batch file. That opened a cmd prompt window. After that I don't remember exactly what happened, but there was something about loading Visual C++, which I did. Everything went smoothly after that.

I suppose I could delete the files and do it all over again (paying more attention), if it would help someone out.

I think I have windows 11 VM running here so I should be able to trouble shoot on my side. But Thanks!

After downloading SpecWeb 2.3 into my Downloads folder, I opened the zip file with File Explorer, which opened into two folders, 'Install' and 'Non AVX for older computers'. Double-clicked on 'Install' which revealed the 'Install_SpecWeb' batch file. Double-clicked on that, which created a prompt to 'Extract All', which I clicked. That requested a location to open the files to, so I created a folder called SpecWeb 2.3, and the files were copied there. The 'Install' folder re-appeared there, so I opened it and clicked again on the 'Install SpecWeb' batch file. That opened a cmd prompt window. After that I don't remember exactly what happened, but there was something about loading Visual C++, which I did. Everything went smoothly after that.

I suppose I could delete the files and do it all over again (paying more attention), if it would help someone out.
That's generous. I haven't had time to get back to it today, hopefully the above instruction is enough to get me going. Seems simple enough, but ya never know. Tonight or tomorrow I will follow his instructions and if I absolutely get lost I may have to take you up on it. Otherwise, your call.
Thanks!
(We have a long history of my screwing up his install programs, lol.) :unsure:

In my windows 11 VM the installer just ran as normal :)
OK. What does the the vc redistributable show up as in installed programs? I have several so maybe everything installed but only nothing made it to the desktop?
I have both 64 and 32 bit from v8 - v14

Nope nevermind mine were all installed on the 1st of the month, curiously.

Last edited:
Back