SPECWEB (Now 2.2)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to turn off my Norton when I run SPECWeb. It's not because it thinks it's a virus, it's because it has no info on the program. The Norton program looks for unknown programs and flags them as being "bad". WRONG. I have tried to add Specweb to the approved list with no luck.

The same thing happens at work, where I work with an Enterprise Network using Active Directory and Symantec Enterprise protection. When I go to use a program that comes with the equipment I support, the Symantec stops execution because it does not recognize the program, as it's very specialized and not used by the masses.

So on my music PC when I want to use SPECWeb, I right click Norton, turn off protection for 15 minutes, run SPECWeb and I'm fine. No big deal.

QUESTION FOR Zeerround!

Is there a setting that makes SPECWeb output 4.0 instead of 5.1?

That has come up before, either here or the surround by us forum. I recall doing some experiments for somebody on that. Set the center width to Zero. That should get you an empty center channel but I don't recall having any capability to NOT produce a center channel file.

Let me test at least the empty center thing...

That has come up before, either here or the surround by us forum. I recall doing some experiments for somebody on that. Set the center width to Zero. That should get you an empty center channel but I don't recall having any capability to NOT produce a center channel file.

Let me test at least the empty center thing...

Hey thanks! I was just curious. It's not worth wasting a lot of time checking it out if you don't have the time. I just wondered if there was something already in there. I thought I remembered back in the old Plogue days that you could select a 4.0 output, but I could be wrong.

I actually checked over at SBU to see if there was anything about this over there, but it seemed like there haven't been many posts over there for a while.

The SpecWeb ini file has:

"
;Speaker angles in your playback setup
;LFE is non directional so isn't considered here.
;speakerangles=LF,RF,C,LS,RS where the angles are in degrees counter clockwise from zero, zero being directly
;in front of the listening position, so the Center Speaker angle would normally be zero.
;The defaults are the ITU recommended positions for 5.1 surround.
;If you are making upmixes for yourself, and for one particular surround setup, you will get the best results
;by setting the speaker angles to match your surround setup.
;If you are making upmixes for others, and you don't know their setup, it is best to stick with ITU angles
;30,330,0,110,250
;Another use for this is if you wanted to make quad upmixes, you will want to set the angles for a quad setup
;such as a square, 45,315,0,135,225 (and set the centerwidth=0)
speakerangles=30,330,0,110,250"

in regards to 4.0

Still testing...

Yeah that puts out a 6 channel file with an empty center channel. You could output monos, and or use other tools, like AudioMuxer, to make a 4.0 file from that.

You could also use the -110 for the LFE gain:

"[gain]
;0 zero pregain here = -12dB pregain in Plogue Spec. If bit depth is not 32f AND you clip, SpecWeb will run
; again with a pregain calculated to avoid clipping.
;defaults all zero (dB)
; use -110 for LFE to turn off LFE (5.0 vs. 5.1) and speed up processing
pregain=0.0
lf=0
rf=0
c=0
lfe=0
ls=0
rs=0
;
"
to get an empty LFE channel.

So if I wanted a 4.1 output, and I used the settings in post #465, which leaves the center empty, nothing gets "lost", does it?

Thanks!
FYI SpecWeb (at least pre-ambiance extraction) doesn't have anything to do with phase/matrix. It's purely magnitude based (in the spectral, vs. time domain). Phase information is ignored (just passed on to the output).

If I interpret this right SpecWeb can not tell the difference between center front Left = Right in phase versus center back Left = Right opposite phase (polarity) because the amplitude levels are the same?

So if I wanted a 4.1 output, and I used the settings in post #465, which leaves the center empty, nothing gets "lost", does it?

I couldn't listen today (at work) but I remember checking when that came up before and yeah nothing should get lost. Those settings don't say you shouldn't listen to the results and play with the other widths, however, to get the best possible results.

Thanks Z. I appreciate taking your time to check in here, as I am sure the other members are as well. And....................thanks for the whole SPEC thing. It's a surround wonder of the world, in both variations! (y)

Thanks!

If I interpret this right SpecWeb can not tell the difference between center front Left = Right in phase versus center back Left = Right opposite phase (polarity) because the amplitude levels are the same?

So it seems we are talking about matrix encoded stereo, then no SpecWeb wouldn't separate any of that. What happens is we move the audio into the spectral domain (magnitude in frequency bins in time vs amplitude in time) using a "phase vocoder", then the magnitudes, in each frequency bin, are compared L vs R to determine what channels to output the magnitudes in. The Frequency values (which could be converted to phase values but aren't in this case) are just passed on to the five inverse phase vocoder processes.

I've messed around some with "quad" decoding but others have put so much into perfecting quad decoders that I didn't take it through to production.

I guess another way to say all this is IMO 98% plus of stereo is produced with what is called ILD panning, tricking our brains to locating sounds based on different levels (but the same phase) coming from the left and right speakers, as apposed to ITD, or tricking our brains into locating sounds based on the time or phase difference between signals coming from the left and right speakers.

Mixing consoles/software have pan pots that use ILD, in constant power (sin cosine), constant amplitude, or linear panning rules.

So Spec/SpecWeb exploits ILD to upmix stereo to surround.

I'm told there are some producers / mixing boards that do ITD, but I can't honestly say I've ever identified any music actually mixed that way, but still I think that is different from matrix encoding stereo.

This is all in reference to sounds in the horizontal plane, by the way. It gets way more complicated when talking about how we perceive sound direction vertically.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_localization

So... speaking of immersive upmix, when I asked here before almost no one had ceiling speakers or upward facing Dolby Atmos speakers. What about VR systems? Any Oculus Rift people? Anybody interested in stereo to surround (3D immersive) upmix to listen in VR or other headtracking headphones?

Binaural/Ambisonics making a big comeback there.

So it seems we are talking about matrix encoded stereo, then no SpecWeb wouldn't separate any of that. What happens is we move the audio into the spectral domain (magnitude in frequency bins in time vs amplitude in time) using a "phase vocoder", then the magnitudes, in each frequency bin, are compared L vs R to determine what channels to output the magnitudes in. The Frequency values (which could be converted to phase values but aren't in this case) are just passed on to the five inverse phase vocoder processes.

I've messed around some with "quad" decoding but others have put so much into perfecting quad decoders that I didn't take it through to production.

I guess another way to say all this is IMO 98% plus of stereo is produced with what is called ILD panning, tricking our brains to locating sounds based on different levels (but the same phase) coming from the left and right speakers, as apposed to ITD, or tricking our brains into locating sounds based on the time or phase difference between signals coming from the left and right speakers.

Mixing consoles/software have pan pots that use ILD, in constant power (sin cosine), constant amplitude, or linear panning rules.

I'm told there are some producers / mixing boards that do ITD, but I can't honestly say I've ever identified any music actually mixed that way, but still I think that is different from matrix encoding stereo.

This is all in reference to sounds in the horizontal plane, by the way. It gets way more complicated when talking about how we perceive sound direction vertically.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_localization

Hello Z!
Thank you for the comprehensive reply. Starting with an explanation: I have tried multiple times to use Plouge Bidule. The methodology & terminology just leaves my mind comatose. I’m not saying it’s wrong as others smarter than me on this forum have had good results from it. It’s just a way of doing things I cannot wrap my head around. So when SpecWeb came out I was very interested. A chance to use the legacy of Plouge Bidule in a way I can understand. Drag & click enter! Your post has illuminated aspects of SpecWeb that I either did not know or wrongly assumed.

I agree that a large part of constructing a stereo multi-track soundstage is based on amplitude panning. But ever since Les Paul discovered tape slap back echo (maybe earlier) artists have been using much more than just panning to make a soundstage. Echo whether plate, spring or digital, chorus, flanging, vocoder all produce an intricate array of not just level but phase relationships as well. I am probably stating the obvious. But more specifically any 2 ch stereo recording can have a level relationship between one and zero, any phase relationship between matching and opposite phase.

Using only ILD panning a stereo recording will sound wide but flat. Producers / engineers put echo & out of phase effects to make the stereo sound stage seem deeper. Problem with this is it still is “depth” bunched up around the front speakers. A good decoder, hardware or software, will take advantage of both these level & phase differences to create a full sound field around the listener.
I have used SpecWeb to make some very enjoyable upmixes, in fact sharing them with J Pupster. Based on your post I did what I should have done earlier & create a test signal that would give me a better idea of what SpecWeb was doing. I created an 80 second test in AA3 that is a clock sweep starting at center front. For front L/R blend it uses in phase blending -7.65 dB. For rear L/R it uses opposite phase blending -7.65 dB L/R. Center front is L=R in phase, center back is L=R opposite phase & center left = Left only, center right = right only. These are very well known quad encoding points. I fully realize SpecWeb was not created for quad decoding. I am using this because these are also very likely amplitude/phase points to crop up in conventional stereo recording.

Begin to 10 secs= center front
10 > 20 secs = right front
20 > 30 secs = right center
30 > 40 secs = right back
40 > 50 secs = center back
50 > 60 secs = left back
60 > 70 secs = left center
70 > 80 secs = left front

After decoding through SpecWeb audible impressions were: center front was strong & right where it should be. Right front was a vague blur of sound off to the right maybe a bit upfront. Center right came beautifully out of right back speaker. Right back was vaguely from the rear & to the right. The real surprise is that center back popped up right out of center front. This is obviously a stereo to surround decoder that doesn’t know front from back. No need to relate what happened on the left side as this was symmetrical.
Some of this is exactly how you described it that SpecWeb only pays attention to level differences between channels. I postulate that the most successful stereo to surround decoders pay attention to both amplitude & phase in a recording.

Anyone wishing to utilize my original 2 ch clock sweep test can find the file here: Stereo Clock Sweep

Anyone wanting to hear the SpecWeb decoding can find it here: SpecWeb Clock Sweep

Opening up the SpecWeb multi-ch flac in Audition yielded this:

In retrospect I think that my efforts at successfully pre-synthesizing for SpecWeb resulted from 2 things.
First is that out of phase blending before decoding widens the sound stage & nudges sounds panned to the sides even further out so they pop up in left back, right back. Secondly out of phase blending also reduces the amount of center front content in the original stereo. A common comment about SpecWeb is that the center front output is just too prominent & this would help reduce it.

Last edited:
But engineers are taught to keep their mixes between 0 and 1 on correlation or phase meters, yeah?:

https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advice/q-what-are-my-phase-correlation-meters-telling-me

but you are advocating that an upmixer should look for things that are between 0 and -1 (yes, used in quad encoded stereo).
Your "back" signals in your sweep all peg the correlation meter at -1. Back center completely cancels if summed to mono with the other back signals dropping 12dB from your center speaker.

As I said, I'm exploiting phase differences in my next gen stuff, but for the vertical direction (height in immersive surround systems like 7.1.4 and in VR or other headtracking headphones with ambisonics). I will think on it, however, and do some experiments.

Thanks
Z

Just started playing with this tool... really enjoying the results so far. Some recordings obviously benefit more than others. I was surprised how good it worked on Tears for Fears' Seeds of Love. Something to tide me over until the real deal comes (eventually).

OK I checked the defaults for both version 1.4. and 1.5 and they didn't change. I checked the spectrum of the same song using both versions and they matched, and I checked the LFE in both versions, peak, RMS, and LUFS and they matched.

If you still have the older versions you are referring to maybe you could convert the same song in both, being careful to use the same ini file or settings, and report back?

Hi Zeeround, sorry for the late reply, I had to deal with a little thing called shoulder reconstruction surgery. So I just acquired the new Adrian Belew album and used 1.5 to upmix. In my opinion, the default settings reduced the low end from the original substantially. The files are obviously large, how can I get the samples to you? Thanks

Back