SPECWEB (Now 2.2)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't tested recent version with AudioMuxer but can.

In my mind the main reason for AudioMuxer integration was to use AudioMuxer for the resampling, but now that is build into SpecWeb.

Also the dynamics of the original stereo are preserved in SpecWeb, through up/down sample, where as in AudioMuxer the dynamics are changed to eliminate any true peaks (intersample) above 0dB.

My preference is to preserve the dynamics of the original stereo mix (true peaks > 0dB and all).

Side note:

For those of you keeping track, the "loudest" song I have found to date is:​
Savant - ISM - 13 ISM.flac​
It has a True Peak of +4.24 dB and an LUFS of -5.26! :eek:
One more time, not saying "louder is better", just saying if the stereo track was loud, the upmix should be loud too (and have the same "bite" etc.).

But I'll ping the author of AudioMuxer if there is an update he needs to make.

AudioMuxer 0.9.6.4 is "working" for me here with SpecWeb 2.2, if I reset the SpecWeb settings, in AudioMuxer, to find the new 2.2 version.

The problem is that 2.x has settings that AudioMuxer doesn't know about, as well as updated defaults, so it "works" but it's not giving all you the updated features or defaults.

I don't know why this happens or why this "fix" works, but I have discovered that setting SpecWeb's exe comparability to windows 8 solves it.

Right click on SpecWeb.exe in the bin directory, select properties, go to the compatibility tab, check "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and select Windows 8.

1591807621162.png

I don't know why this happens or why this "fix" works, but I have discovered that setting SpecWeb's exe comparability to windows 8 solves it.

Right click on SpecWeb.exe in the bin directory, select properties, go to the compatibility tab, check "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and select Windows 8.

View attachment 52377
Yessir that there fixed it. Thanks.

Intrigued by some recordings of classical music

Although I like Jazz and some other modern music, and songs by Elvis, Sinatra and others, my favorite style is classical music. I routinely convert some of my favorite stereo albums to their surround version using SpecWeb. More often than not, the result is superb. Naturally, the process leaves much to be desired for old, duophonic recordings, whatever the music style. However, I'm intrigued by some specific reasonably recent recordings of classical music. For instance, I love several opera albums by tenor Plácido Domingo and other albums by mezzo-soprano Elīna Garanča. Many of Domingo's albums are quite recent. Garanča's albums are contemporary. Both opera singers sing very much the same style of music, with the same type of orchestras, and I would assume the recording process, as far as sound engineering is concerned, must have been very similar. The odd thing is that Domingo's albums convert to surround beautifully, whereas Ms Garanča's SpecWeb upmixes are disappointing. Is there an explanation for this difference? Are there any particular parameters that can be used to make Ms Garanča's stereo recordings more surround-friendly?

Intrigued by some recordings of classical music

Although I like Jazz and some other modern music, and songs by Elvis, Sinatra and others, my favorite style is classical music. I routinely convert some of my favorite stereo albums to their surround version using SpecWeb. More often than not, the result is superb. Naturally, the process leaves much to be desired for old, duophonic recordings, whatever the music style. However, I'm intrigued by some specific reasonably recent recordings of classical music. For instance, I love several opera albums by tenor Plácido Domingo and other albums by mezzo-soprano Elīna Garanča. Many of Domingo's albums are quite recent. Garanča's albums are contemporary. Both opera singers sing very much the same style of music, with the same type of orchestras, and I would assume the recording process, as far as sound engineering is concerned, must have been very similar. The odd thing is that Domingo's albums convert to surround beautifully, whereas Ms Garanča's SpecWeb upmixes are disappointing. Is there an explanation for this difference? Are there any particular parameters that can be used to make Ms Garanča's stereo recordings more surround-friendly?
Well it's like the difference between Phil Spector's "Wall of Sound" vs recordings where various instruments are panned to different positions in the soundscape.

I just wanted to drop a quick note to express my thanks for everyone involved with SpecWeb. I started using SpecWeb 2.2 a few months ago and I have been pleasantly surprised with the results. If anyone is skeptical about this tool, I recommend that you test it yourself by taking the 2015 remixes on The Beatles 1 reissue CD for a spin.

I just wanted to drop a quick note to express my thanks for everyone involved with SpecWeb. I started using SpecWeb 2.2 a few months ago and I have been pleasantly surprised with the results. If anyone is skeptical about this tool, I recommend that you test it yourself by taking the 2015 remixes on The Beatles 1 reissue CD for a spin.
Although several of us have done testing of his "inventions" here and there over the years, Zeerround is totally responsible for all SPEC related things, whether standalone like SpecWeb or used in Plogue.:)
He has taught himself a variety of things as well, to be able to make these brainchildren work.

Last edited:
Well so far this is great. I‘ve ran saucer full of secrets and piper at the gates of dawn from the discovery box remasters and 24/192 beck mutations through it. Super cool what it does. where can I learn more about the tweaks and everything?

Well so far this is great. I‘ve ran saucer full of secrets and piper at the gates of dawn from the discovery box remasters and 24/192 beck mutations through it. Super cool what it does. where can I learn more about the tweaks and everything?
Did you read the guides that came with the installer?
Outside of that I don't think there is much more unless Zeerround has something.

Last edited:
Yeah read the guides and ask questions/give feedback here.

If you can play 5.1 sound from your PC in realtime then consider using the "play" version so you can tweak things in real-time and hear the results without waiting for the whole song to finish. The "web" in specweb is so you could sit on your couch with iPad or laptop, etc. and explore adjustments, even if your PC isn't near the listening position.

Also you can read the comments in the \install\bin\SpecWeb.ini file to learn more about all the settings.

Changes to settings in that file can be global, per song directory, or per song title depending on where you put that file or copies of it and how you name it.

Probably start with the width controls, leaving the various mode settings at defaults. Once you have a good handle on image, center, and front widths, check out blends, then lastly, modes.

If the sound is too "stretched out", "swishy", etc.

1) Make sure you try up/down sampling at 4x (default is 2x)
2) You can trade off separation for artifact reduction with either the adjacent speaker or blend controls

The "How to win with ArcTan" section of the guide goes over a lot of that and was originally written by one of the most respected and prolific users of "Spec", DKA. Today it is a little dated in that the default mode settings are now for modes that didn't exist at that time, but those options are still there and the methodology for setting widths and blends are still valid in any case.

That's the short version I guess ;0)

There you have it from Zeerround, the man himself. I'm just now getting back into the Plogue version of Spec....it's easier for me to fine tune with it the way I work.
I will admit I'm years out of practice but I had a pretty good run back then.
OH and big yes on what Z said about live monitoring. If you can tweak while listening it's a big help.

Sorry i read the quick setup guide and forgot there was another one.

Listening now to Radiohead ok computer remastered 24/96 upmixed, holy shit and pardon my language. This is heavenly! Donation coming......

Mutations is one of my favorites with this process, another is Midnight Vultures.

I’ve had a little issue with a few titles. A few songs I’ve ran through The program have a popping sound, very faint in all speakers. Any idea why this would be happening? Almost like it’s slightly clipping.

Best to PM me with link to an example source and output files, and any settings you are using.

and/or try without the limiter VST.

Back