SPECWEB (Now 2.2)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MC Maniac

300 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
A very good stereo to surround upmixer called SPEC has been around for a number of years - today the developer of SPEC formally announced a new version called SpecWeb 2.2:

SpecWeb 2.2 Download (for CPUs made after 2010):
http://www.surroundbyus.com/sbu/download/SpecWeb 2.2 Release.zip

SpecWeb 2.2 Download (for CPUs made before 2011):
http://www.surroundbyus.com/sbu/download/SpecWeb 2.2 No AVX Release.zip

SurroundByUs Forum: SurroundByUs.com • View topic - SpecWeb 2.2 <===== SpecWeb Current Version)

Edit: 2.2 shipped with the 2.1 Guide document. Correct one attached.

This new product is web based and does not require the use of any other programs - anyone who has used SPEC in the past knows that there was a steep learning curve that went with it. That has all changed with this new version. It is very simple to install and easy to use by starting with the default settings.

You can't beat the cost either as it is donation ware..:)

so if you do give it a try and like the results, please make a donation btn_donateCC_LG.gif

as many hours have gone into it's development. I have been doing conversions for many years now, and SPEC is the best one available. I converted quite a few albums during the testing of SPECWEB, and in most cases, the results are quite good and definately worth the effort.

Give it a try!

Attachments

• SpecWeb 2.2 Guide.pdf
    5.4 MB · Views: 461
Last edited by a moderator:
I downloaded it....but what next? How does it work? When I click on any of the icons it decided to put on my desktop it says something like "Did you forget to drop a file"? Huh? What the heck....how it works my good man?

I downloaded it....but what next? How does it work? When I click on any of the icons it decided to put on my desktop it says something like "Did you forget to drop a file"? Huh? What the heck....how it works my good man?

Drag a stereo FLAc file onto the 'SpecWeb' shortcut and it will convert to MCH.

Just drag and drop a stereo file onto the SpecWeb icon. Or, if you want to listen, the SpecWeb Play icon.

The manual is in the install directory.

Huh, seems to work purdy good. I tried The Spirit of Radio. It processed in under a minute.
It definitely kicked some of the sequencer and synth sounds to the rears, along with some percussion and guitar elements.
Left the vocals and lead guitar center. I'd say I like it. Not sure 100% what I think of my first test. I'll read the manual and see what options might be available.
I just went default on the test.

I did Permanent Waves and IMO it came out pretty good - for this one try raising both surrounds - my default setting has Ls and Rs with a value of 6..

Huh, seems to work purdy good. I tried The Spirit of Radio. It processed in under a minute.
It definitely kicked some of the sequencer and synth sounds to the rears, along with some percussion and guitar elements.
Left the vocals and lead guitar center. I'd say I like it. Not sure 100% what I think of my first test. I'll read the manual and see what options might be available.
I just went default on the test.

Like every upmixer I have tried, your results will vary depending how the stereo was mixed..you will get different results based on the different versions of a CD release..

Yesterday I did Sgt Peppers and on 4 of the songs, the lead vocal was entirely in either the Ls or Rs.. I ended swapping the C with the particular surround channel and am pretty happy with it.

If anyone wants a sample emailed of what is possible, please send me a PM..

Cue and M3U files are playlists (and can point to lossy and/or lossless audio files). Good to here it can handle a list of files.

I tried it on Phil Collins - In The Air Tonight last night and results seemed ok but the rears need more volume. I will read the manual today. Very promising!

Wow! I just made my first upmix, and I'm pretty excited! "Piece of Mind" by Iron Maiden from a vinyl rip... Used Audacity to increase the center and rears by 2dB each... Very happy with the results (but still not as good as upmixes by Holland123 or DKA:() This might become a habit...:mad:@:

Wow! I just made my first upmix, and I'm pretty excited! "Piece of Mind" by Iron Maiden from a vinyl rip... Used Audacity to increase the center and rears by 2dB each... Very happy with the results (but still not as good as upmixes by Holland123 or DKA:() This might become a habit...:mad:@:

I am sure we all have our own lists of classic albums that were never released in surround. Personally I'd like to do a few Australian/NZ artist's albums I have starting with Crowded House, Hoodoo Gurus, Australian Crawl, Paul Kelly and Split Enz.

Not read only, but flac files with embedded id3 tags (which they're not really supposed to have).

The ones I found with those tags also happened to be "read only" so in order to overwrite the files with fixed tags, I had to make them writeable first.

Back