Spinning on the Turntable now...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bit of an obscure album I found in a charity shop, Hilly Michaels - Lumia (1981)
Hilly was drummer in Sparks for one album (Big Beat) and this album is power pop/new wave and musicians include Dan Hartman and RIck Derringer

View attachment 64398

I love the Big Beat album. It was my introduction to Sparks. And I am a big power pop guy. Will have to search this out.

Reactions: WBP
image.jpg

So finally finished off the last piece of vinyl puzzle to complete my best of all Beatles analog versions having all the others, White and Blue boxes and now the SHZE 327-B-3 pressing completes the proper REAL stereo version on MMT which was the only short coming of MMT on side 2 of the Mofi blue box. So it's :smokin time.

MMT-German.jpg

So finally finished off the last piece of vinyl puzzle to complete my best of all Beatles analog versions having all the others, White and Blue boxes and now the SHZE 327-B-3 pressing completes the proper REAL stereo version on MMT which was the only short coming of MMT on side 2 of the Mofi blue box. So it's :smokin time.

View attachment 64682
Just so you (or anyone reading along) knows, there are also German Apple reissues which have the same SHZE 327 in the deadwax, so they used the same stampers as the Horzu and have the same stereo side two (except that All You Need is Love IIRC folds halfway through the track). Handy to know as they generally sell far cheaper than a Horzu. However, these are not the only true stereo vinyl versions. They are the only all analog true stereo versions. The remasters are true stereo throughout, even the part that folds on this one. However, a lot of people (of which I am not one) discount vinyl cut from a digital master. Frankly, the most recent MMT sounds killer, but I already had the German Apple.

Just so you (or anyone reading along) knows, there are also German Apple reissues which have the same SHZE 327 in the deadwax, so they used the same stampers as the Horzu and have the same stereo side two (except that All You Need is Love IIRC folds halfway through the track). Handy to know as they generally sell far cheaper than a Horzu. However, these are not the only true stereo vinyl versions. They are the only all analog true stereo versions. The remasters are true stereo throughout, even the part that folds on this one. However, a lot of people (of which I am not one) discount vinyl cut from a digital master. Frankly, the most recent MMT sounds killer, but I already had the German Apple.

Yep totally agree but I wanted the Horzu just to be able to say all of my stereo Beatles were true analog, mostly for bragging rights but also I must say
the seperation on this pressing is really Great! and the vinyl is very quite. I wouldn't mind finding the latter 3rd version as It is know to be stronger on the bottom end response.

Still trying to get my Pioneer TT & Parasound setup so I can get to ripping vinyl again. My old Project was a USB TT, so now I'm figuring out connections and settings without USB TT. (thanks to Duncan!!)

Regardless, I wanted to comment on how amazing it is to have an album from 1980 that can sound so damn dynamic.

foobar2000 1.6.2 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
log date: 2021-03-19 11:15:22

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed: AC-DC / Back In Black (side a vinyl rip)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
DR12 -2.49 dB -16.29 dB 5:14 01-Back In Black
DR13 -2.02 dB -16.33 dB 5:18 02-Hells Bells
DR13 -1.52 dB -15.43 dB 3:35 03-Shoot To Thrill
DR14 -1.81 dB -17.02 dB 3:31 04-Given The Dog A Bone
DR13 -3.38 dB -18.03 dB 4:19 05-What Do You Do For Money Honey

Number of tracks: 5
Official DR value: DR13

Samplerate: 96000 Hz
Channels: 2
Bits per sample: 24
Bitrate: 2710 kbps
Codec: FLAC
================================================================================

Still trying to get my Pioneer TT & Parasound setup so I can get to ripping vinyl again. My old Project was a USB TT, so now I'm figuring out connections and settings without USB TT. (thanks to Duncan!!)

Regardless, I wanted to comment on how amazing it is to have an album from 1980 that can sound so damn dynamic.

foobar2000 1.6.2 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
log date: 2021-03-19 11:15:22

Analyzed: AC-DC / Back In Black (side a vinyl rip)

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
DR12 -2.49 dB -16.29 dB 5:14 01-Back In Black
DR13 -2.02 dB -16.33 dB 5:18 02-Hells Bells
DR13 -1.52 dB -15.43 dB 3:35 03-Shoot To Thrill
DR14 -1.81 dB -17.02 dB 3:31 04-Given The Dog A Bone
DR13 -3.38 dB -18.03 dB 4:19 05-What Do You Do For Money Honey

Number of tracks: 5
Official DR value: DR13

Samplerate: 96000 Hz
Channels: 2
Bits per sample: 24
Bitrate: 2710 kbps
Codec: FLAC
================================================================================
So does this mean you're now back to being GOS the Ripper or is that an old rip?

Reactions: GOS
Matthew Sweet 100% Fun. Intervention Records 180g 2LP reissue. Nice quiet, dynamic vinyl.

MatthewSweet100Fun.jpg

And if you're gonna listen to the LP, you might as well try to recreate the cover. (Anybody listening to Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here, please don't attempt this, LOL.)

View attachment 64776
I like your remote box, looks cozy there!

20210320_212208.jpg

Lal & Mike Waterson. Bright Phoebus.

I consider myself really lucky to have a copy of this. It was never repressed after it's initial 1972 release, due to poor sales and then legal/rights issues, and so became a cult classic and collectors item. Then when Domino records was able to release it about 5 years ago, I immediately bought a copy (after having read about it in Electric Eden by Rob Young). The record was then deleted shortly after release because of ANOTHER legal dispute.

The album itself is stunning, full of modern folk songs that sound like they could have been written 200 years ago, and The Watersons are backed by a folk super group including Richard Thompson, Maddy Prior and Martin Carthy.

View attachment 64827
Lal & Mike Waterson. Bright Phoebus.

I consider myself really lucky to have a copy of this. It was never repressed after it's initial 1972 release, due to poor sales and then legal/rights issues, and so became a cult classic and collectors item. Then when Domino records was able to release it about 5 years ago, I immediately bought a copy (after having read about it in Electric Eden by Rob Young). The record was then deleted shortly after release because of ANOTHER legal dispute.

The album itself is stunning, full of modern folk songs that sound like they could have been written 200 years ago, and The Watersons are backed by a folk super group including Richard Thompson, Maddy Prior and Martin Carthy.
That is rare! Never seen it before.

Back