Spinning on the Turntable now...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any love for Direct Metal Master pressings? Had an original pressing of Fleetwood Macs’ Tango in the Night on the platter last night. These older ears appreciate the extended top end. #oldnotobsolete
Yes, I really like DMM pressings. Somewhere along the way it seems that many people have gotten it in their head that the D in DMM is for digital and therefore think they are inferior. There is much that is wrong with that notion, but it's not worth fighting with people over.

Well, crap. Marpow got me super interested in a new release from Smith/Kazen or something like that. He bought the download, I opted for vinyl. Historically, I have found that on newer releases, vinyl is the route to go (compared to downloads) for higher quality sound.

Ummmm

This is easily the worst sounding vinyl I've ever heard. No, not clicks and pops. Distortion. It's mostly unlistenable. How on earth can that happen? Seriously, I just need to toss it in the trash. UGH....
Adrian Smith aka, Iron Maiden should know better than allow something this shitty to be sold. Embarrasing........

20210330_193340.jpg

Vashti Bunyan. Just Another Diamond Day.

Just arrived from my local record shop (Vinyl Cafe, Carlisle). Pretty English folk for a pretty English sunset. Yet another beautiful Joe Boyd/Witchseason production.

Well, crap. Marpow got me super interested in a new release from Smith/Kazen or something like that. He bought the download, I opted for vinyl. Historically, I have found that on newer releases, vinyl is the route to go (compared to downloads) for higher quality sound.

Ummmm

This is easily the worst sounding vinyl I've ever heard. No, not clicks and pops. Distortion. It's mostly unlistenable. How on earth can that happen? Seriously, I just need to toss it in the trash. UGH....
Adrian Smith aka, Iron Maiden should know better than allow something this shitty to be sold. Embarrasing........
Did you ask Markie to refund your money?

Later tonight I'll be spending a hopefully productive evening with CBS Test Record STR100! :geek:

I'm gonna try to calibrate a phono front end using a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, using the instrument-level inputs, with parallel 47K resistors added for proper cartridge load. All EQ (including RIAA) will be done in Foobar. Otherwise known as "using stuff you got lying around instead of spending more money." Fingers crossed...
These songs really suck...jpg

Ummmm

I found HDtracks let me download to the UK so I went for the 48kHz/24-bit version, good album love the music. However, I'm not convinced its been well mastered though. I also got Sabbath Bloody Sabbath as well at 96/24 which is 48 years old but I'm not sure that sounds any better than the CD.

Here's something I never thought I'd say: I just spent 170 bucks on a phono cartridge!* (Audio-Technica AT-VM95ML)

Had to tell somebody, heh. Down the vinyl rabbit-hole I go, one more time...

*To which a few of you may reply, "Only $170?? Quel avare !" :p

Here's something I never thought I'd say: I just spent 170 bucks on a phono cartridge!* (Audio-Technica AT-VM95ML)

Had to tell somebody, heh. Down the vinyl rabbit-hole I go, one more time...

*To which a few of you may reply, "Only $170?? Quel avare !" :p
well, this is the only item on your TT that you should spend the most money on...my Ortofon OMP 30 was about 300 EUROS(and the TT was just 65 EUROS!!!) but it RADICALLY changed the sound of the TT (I had the "recommended stylus" EPK-22 , an elliptical cheapo IMO....)
And I can't wait to get the OMP40 which is about 400 EUROS...

I say, WELL DONE, enjoy, I am POSITIVE you will hear a brand new TT after installing it!

Thanks Kap. After being away from vinyl for decades, I tried to get back into it a few years ago, after one of my work clients just up and gave me a beautiful Sony PS-X70 table! I could hardly believe it.

After a couple hours' repair time it was working perfectly, but it had no cartridge. The only one I still had around was a Shure M105E - not a terrible cart, but it's actually a P-Mount in a 1/2" adapter, and the combination is too tall to set VTA correctly on this table. Plus, it's a bit too compliant for this heavy tonearm. So I played a few records on it and eventually lost interest. That was probably 5 years ago.

So last week I was screwing around with this stuff again, and was once again seduced by the whole vinyl mystique/ritual/nostalgia/etc. But I soon realized that this cart is just not working with this table!

I'm a bit pissed at myself for having half-assed this whole experiment the way I did a few years ago. So I decided to use a bit of my gummint' Covid check to give it one more try with some proper gear. We'll see...

Back