Spinning on the Turntable now...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s why it doesn’t sound as good as the rest of the album. I love the song and when I heard it in stereo on the Pandora Box set, it was much better to me. Though, not perfect.
Oh, I LOOOVE the MONO aspect of it and I think it suits the song perfectly (MONO is the HUGE BALL/METEOR), that's why the Stereo remix on the Pandora's Box kinda falls flat on its face; it is ALSO missing many guitar parts that are on the original mix...funnily enough , I think this song would be a PERFECT candidate for MCH cause of ALL of the "over the top" guitar O/D's (Overdubs AND overDose!!!)

Syrinx, first album. This is a cool early moog synthesizer/hand drum/saxophone recording. 1970 or so. Looks like the 2nd album ever released by True North Records. I wonder what the 1st was?

syrinx.jpg

Inner sleeve....these guys opened for Miles Davis bitches brew at Massey Hall.

syrinx_inner.jpg

Last edited:
Lately:

Copland: Appalachian Spring - Davies/St. Paul Chamber Orchestra Sound 80 Direct-to-digital LP

https://www.discogs.com/Aaron-Copla...e-Saint-Paul-Chamber-Orchestr/release/4204830

I love that album, Linda--bought it, excitedly, when it first came out, and still have it.

After learning that the "Appalachian Spring" portion was reissued a couple of times on CD on the Pro Arte label (only with Ives's "3 Places" swapped out for his 3d Symphony + Copland's "Short Symphony"--although there's a Japanese version that retains the original program), I went searching--and, uh, "found" it. Only the artwork embedded in the FLACs shows a Pro Arte album cover that I can't find a trace of anywhere else--and it features the words "Digital Surround Sound." Only two channels, although I suppose it could be Dolby Surround encoded (or "Circle Surround" or some such); I can't tell, since I don't have PLII anymore. But that wouldn't quite compute, anyway, since the original recording on Sound 80 was, as you point out, digital "direct-to-disc." Any clues?

Cover.jpg

Last edited:
I love that album, Linda--bought it, excitedly, when it first came out, and still have it.

After learning that the "Appalachian Spring" portion was reissued a couple of times on CD on the Pro Arte label (only with Ives's "3 Places" swapped out for his 3d Symphony + Copland's "Short Symphony"--although there's a Japanese version that retains the original program), I went searching--and, uh, "found" it. Only the artwork embedded in the FLACs shows a Pro Arte album cover that I can't find a trace of anywhere else--and it features the words "Digital Surround Sound." Only two channels, although I suppose it could be Dolby Surround encoded (or "Circle Surround" or some such); I can't tell, since I don't have PLII anymore. But that wouldn't quite compute, anyway, since the original recording on Sound 80 was, as you point out, digital "direct-to-disc." Any clues?

View attachment 75642

Follow-up to my own question: the above disc is in the Dolby Surround portion of Mark Anderson's Surround Discography (Intersound CDS 3429 [HTS]). John Sunier once explained that Intersound used the Shure Stereosound variation on Dolby Surround on many of their discs, and Mark's parenthetical "HTS" would support that. Meanwhile, folks on this QQ thread claim that while some Intersound discs included the Dolby Surround logo, later ones (like the SPCO/Davies Copland one?) simply indicated "Digital Surround Sound," with no Dolby logo. (I think I also saw a claim elsewhere that like Telarc, some early Intersound discs used CircleSurround.)

Still doesn't explain how they generated a surround mix from what was originally a direct-to-disc recording--I thought direct-to-disc was stereo by definition. Am I wrong about that? Or must the Stereosurround version be synthesized? There are reports that both the LP and subsequent CDs were actually cut from digital backup tapes, so maybe those tapes were multi-channel. Sound 80 (the Minneapolis recording studio that was among the pioneers of commercial digital recording) still exists, and this was a fairly historic recording, so I wonder what they have in the way of session records?

Last edited:
I suppose they could have cut a direct-to-disc surround LP if they had a surround console & used a matrix encoder in front of the preamp/lathe?

Didn't Kamran do just that, fairly recently?

Interesting theory. The original Grammy-winning LP (on the Sound 80 label) was never purported to be in matrix surround, though; just one of the subsequent CD reissues (on the Intersound/ProArte label, whose precise relationship to Sound 80 isn't clear to me)--and one of the more obscure reissues, at that. Most of the other CD reissues were stereo, like the LP.

Back