Spinning on the Turntable now...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This morning I am listening to "Miles & Coltrane." This is a collection of live performances from October 27, 1955 and July 4, 1958. The vinyl was digitally re-mastered from the original analog tapes. I am playing the vinyl on my Marantz 4400 with the vari-matrix setting simulating some quadraphonic effect and it is doing the job. The 1955 recordings were mono and the 1958 were stereo.

I like their take on the second track "Straight no Chaser," the Jazz standard by Thelonious Monk. Its very interesting to hear what the two giants (Miles and Coltrane) interpretation on the Monk standard. The other songs are also interesting to listen to.

The 1955 band was: Miles Davis-Trumpet, John Coltrane- Tenor Sax, Red Garland-Piano, Paul Chambers-Bass, Philly Joe Jones-drums.
The 1958 band was: Miles Davis-Trumpet, John Coltrane- Tenor Sax, Bill Evans-Piano, Paul Chambers-Bass, Jimmy Cobb-drums.

a Salvation Army rescue...
Honestly, it looked a bit (a LOT) like crap, all dirty but thankfully, to my Swiffer+Distilled water with Alcohol 90º with KimWipes cleanning method it sounds almost NM!!!!
I can't believe some people are such SLOBS!!!!
obviously , they were gifts or they just don't work hard for their money is my guess...

AND, a big PLUS, my dear Capucine was honored in a way on this album cause it has a cover of the REALLY GREAT theme of her movie she shot in New Orleans, "Walk on the wild side" !! and IN STEREO cause the movie is in glorious MONO...

https://www.discogs.com/release/1678983-Henry-Mancini-Our-Man-In-Hollywood

and we are going down alphabetically through the recent Salvation Army rescues... a lovely 1960 recording of one of my favorite conductors, Pierre Monteux, this time it's a reissue from the 1970s..
now, THIS ONE was nice and clean with no spindle marks ( a lot of these rescues have no spindle marks which leads me to believe they were never played...) but it STILL goes through my "patented" cleaning method...
https://www.discogs.com/release/119...d-Pierre-Monteux-Piano-Concerto-No1-In-D-Mino

Widely considered to be the worst album ever. I have to agree. Not sure why I kept it. Gonna listen to it anyway.
Here' the french cover. I didn't know it was considered to be the worst album ever. The original UK is a RED vinyl
I did listen to it a lot, and I still like it. I remember these guys were tripping so that's maybe why I understand this kind of sound

Attachments

• hap.jpg
    hap.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 0
Tonight I feel above the law and I'm coming in to land...
It may be their BEST album...
Brand new and sealed but not that good of a pressing unfortunately, but hey!
https://www.discogs.com/release/14362963-Everything-But-The-Girl-Walking-Wounded
I LOVE IZOing this kind of stuff cause there are obvious LP samples with clicks and stuff that get cleaned with the inherent clicks so it's basically immaculate... it reminds me of when I cleaned the P.M. Dawn LPs with all their samples (Joni Mitchell's!)

Back