Spinning on the Turntable now...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just arrived today, a new release from Lonely Robot - A Model Life, double white vinyl & CD + Signed card.
20220827_172757.jpg

Lights Out: San Francisco. I haven't listened to this in years. As I'm ripping it I realized that the discs are labeled Side 1 and 3 and one disc and Side 2 and 4 on the other. It was designed for back in the day when we put multiple discs onto the spindle. This way the album played in the proper order.
2022-08-28 14.17.16.jpg

Lights Out: San Francisco. I haven't listened to this in years. As I'm ripping it I realized that the discs are labeled Side 1 and 3 and one disc and Side 2 and 4 on the other. It was designed for back in the day when we put multiple discs onto the spindle. This way the album played in the proper order.
View attachment 82838
really curious about how record stackers work! Maybe I could set one up for the 45 rpm singles I've collected.

Or a whole ton of them! One for each record, right?
Yep. I realized as soon as I posted that it should have been plural. Too lazy to edit it. Not a whole bunch though. Just a few. You could only stack a handful of 45s on the spindle. It was so exciting when single play turntables came out and in the center was a pop up spacer to put the 45 on. Ah, the old days, one song at a time.

Nooooo, Record stackers have the LP (or LPs) spinning underneath and then DROP the new LP (that wasn't spinning), onto the stack and I felt the grinding of groves as the two LPs spin to sync up! OK maybe its not quite that traumatic but I always cringed when I saw this happen. I guess its like watching someone handle LPs not by the sides but by touching the grooves. Shameful in my opinion :) . FYI - I always think of the Woodstock LPs set that was numbered the way described above.

Nooooo, Record stackers have the LP (or LPs) spinning underneath and then DROP the new LP (that wasn't spinning), onto the stack and I felt the grinding of groves as the two LPs spin to sync up! OK maybe its not quite that traumatic but I always cringed when I saw this happen. I guess its like watching someone handle LPs not by the sides but by touching the grooves. Shameful in my opinion :) . FYI - I always think of the Woodstock LPs set that was numbered the way described above.
Oh, I never said it was a good for the vinyl. :) Funny thing about the album I mentioned, Sides 2 and 3 on the vinyl are reversed on the album credits. So, your guess is as good as mine as to which side you are supposed to listen to second. For those of you not familiar with Lights Out San Francisco, it has different artists playing throughout and includes some people you may have heard of, including Neal Schon, John Lee Hooker, The Pointer Sisters and Dan Hicks (and for your West Coast people a bit of DJ Dusty Street). There is an amazing version of Leonard Cohen's "Hey, That's No Way To Say Goodbye", sung by Sylvester. You can find it on YouTube I believe.

View attachment 82838
nice, ..TODAY'S CENTERFOLD, a B&O TT!!!

I have a 45 rpm (7”) of “Grand Canyon Suite” that’s numbered that way. My beloved old Miracord 50H came with a 45 changer spindle, although it’s been over a decade since I’ve used it.

View attachment 82838

Interesting. With sides 1 and 3 on one disc and 2 and 4 on the other disc, you are describing the slide automatic sequence used on 78s before WWII in the so-called throwoff changers. I include a photo of one changing records.

slidchan.png

After the top record of the stack played, the changer slid the top record off. Thus, it reverses the stack as it goes through it. (And sometimes it broke the record - worst changer I ever saw.)

With a drop changer, sides 1 and 4 are on one disc and sides 2 and 3 are on the other disc. This lets you just turn the entire stack over to play the rest of the album.

I have only two Microgroove albums labeled for slide automatic operation.
- One is a 45 album made like a 78 album made for slide operation in 1952.
- The other was the Rick Wakeman "Journey to the Center of the Earth", where the album is pressed for drop operations, but they put the wrong side numbers on the labels.

Last edited:
Stop cringing.

LPs and 45s are made with the labels areas thicker than the groove area. The rims of 12-inch records are also thicker. Thus the grooves should never touch each other unless the record is badly warped.

And if that isn't enough, I know of a few record changers that stop the turntable before dropping each record:

Dual 1004
Glaser-Steers GS-77
VM-1555 and 1585
Several Philips models (can't remember which)

I also modified my Collaro Conquest to do this.

Back