Spinning on the Turntable now...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kap, are those German EMI's from the same source?

Used vinyl can have a myriad of problemsI Some are near impossible to detect until you play them.

Repeatedly playing the same LP side will cause more friction, thereby making it noisier with each pass. That friction can potentially slightly remelt the grooves, and impact high harmonics, etc. Resting the vinyl recommended. Eye test for grading won't reveal this.

What, if any cleaning system was used? Is there residue from too much fluid? Often, you may even see droplets that dried.

IMHO, too many people keep their tracking force at the minimum recommended. Going a bit heavier can yield better tracking, effectively providing less record wear in the middle of recommended tracking range.

I disagree with some of your generalizations regarding pressings. My experience with German LP's has been very good. Nice low end, relatively noise free and much better than Japanese LP's for bass. Have dozens of German electronica LP's, rock and jazz. Bought many DG classical German pressings.

Beatles' MMT German LP is the only LP completely 2ch and mastered directly from analog. All CD's have these corrections. Bass on true 2ch Baby, You're a Rich Man on German LP pressing is stunning, tight. Ortofon MC fineline makes it come alive, analog mavens. I'd expect later German MMT LP issues are corrected and true 2ch, though I'd surmise mastered from digitized version.

I've also had good experiences with UK LP's. Beatles' Blue (2ch) and Red (mono) LP collection boxes, again from analog. Have many UK pressings: Herb Alpert. Sergio Mendes, Beatles & solo, Soft Machine, Paul Simon, Matching Mole, Bacharach, Procol Harum, Devo, Joe Cocker, BS&T and so many more.

There are a variety of things that can affect record wear and how LP's sound. IMHO, cartridge is the biggest determinant. Proper mastering, PVC quality, recording are not far behind.

...I disagree with some of your generalizations regarding pressings. My experience with German LP's has been very good. Nice low end, relatively noise free and much better than Japanese LP's for bass. Have dozens of German electronica LP's, rock and jazz. Bought many DG classical German pressings....
this is precisely why I am so taken aback regarding these pressings...
as per visual inspection , there was no residue of any liquid cleaners, the vinyl looked shiny and without any visual issues, not even spindle marks!
The only issue was dust , not a lot of it but we know that if it had been played at least once with all that dust, it gets stuck in the grooves permanently, which is my only suspicion...The thing about dust is that I have got a lot from the Salvation Army store and others (the Camilo Sesto ones from Spain too) where they were REALLLLYY dusty and I managed to make them sound like NM+ after cleaning them thoroughly with distilled water with a bit of alcohol and KimWipes...

I personally have not had a lot of luck with European pressings, hell, in spite that even some SPANISH pressings have sounded GREAT (and the minty Italian PHILIPS one I go the other day!), I have way better luck with Japanese ones...

Before Wendy was Wendy. Picked this up for $5 at a local shop. Mint condition. Spectacular in fake quad, too! (Using my QS Synthesizer.)
PXL_20220915_113440252.jpg

The Fixx - Shuttered Room
Thrift store find
This is rad!
View attachment 83485
Damn! I wish I had that one on vinyl. My introduction to The Fixx. I remember when their sophomore album came out. I said to myself, Reach The Beach? WTF?? More like, Reach this bitch! Boring! Love that album now! 😍

Surrendered and dropping some non-Quad 1978 Cheap Trick through the SMv2 just for kicks.

View attachment 83840
I just went "....ooooooOOOOhhhhh" (as in "O") when I saw this !!! got a really decent Canadian pressing of this....

would you like to go to Heaven Tonight? yeaaaaahhh, yeaaaahhhh.....

Back