Spinning on the Turntable now...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just received this morning. Playing right now. Love Japanese sellers. Packing as always very good and the record is SPOTLESS.

Attachments

• movin_CD4.jpg
    movin_CD4.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 142
Looks like a great rare find; what's the music like (1974?) I'm not familiar with that one.
It's your typical four or five piece arrangements. I really don't think it's the actual King's Road if they even ever were a real band with static members. It's right up there with Hot Butter or any of the other early 70's instrumental bands.

The mix is a little wonky at times. I thought my Demodulator was having a fit again but, thankfully that wasn't the case. On my 'scope, it seemed like the left's were demodulating better than the right but it turns out drums are front center, bass is LEFT center and an acoustic or rhythm electric guitar are in center right. So, the scope tends to favour the left side with the bass signals.

The mix is pretty static. Only two songs have really "Quad" moments. "Slaughter on 10th Avenue" starts out with a guitar replicating a machine gun sound out of back center. Then later, the same effect pans from FL to BR. "Pipeline" has a really weird moment during the descending guitar moments. It's like four guitars at the same time are trying to play the same notes without a whole lot of success. Very out-of-time. Probably would sound great if each guitar part was perfectly in time with the other. "Telstar" is interesting as it has some real or fake NASA-style chatter in the rear speakers. It's mixed low enough to not interfere with the music. Kind of reminiscent of the Drag Tower announcer on Simon & Garfunkel's "Baby Driver".

Probably one of my best $15-dollar scores. No OBI strip but I don't particularly care about that. The album jacket is MINT and the LP is very, very nice as well.

well, guess what I am spinning???
R-2257660-1344596190-5750.jpeg.jpg
R-2257660-1344596196-7569.jpeg.jpg

Yeah, I know that I am a big optimist who always says that everything is awesome cause ... IT IS!!!

And this is no exception....

Ahhh, Japanese pressings, when they are good they are Great and when they are fookin' good ..well they are fookin' awesome....
I always somehow hear ALL the space in the music when I get J pressings, maybe because somewhere in the chain they don't max out the volume like in the US pressings or other pressings...They always sound the closest to the 70-early 80s MFSL pressings.
You can feel the utmost care these people put into their work.

The best part is that this was ridiculously cheap, about 2,200 Yen (LP was 1,000Yen!!!!). And on top of that, I got a freebie bonus; the 1st DLBack Jap Pressing, so, for $20 or less I got these 2 great Jap pressings

Yes, I also got a USA Double Wally pressing which is the holy grail and it sounds great; a fuller sound, I'd say, but this one is way more detailed and nuanced.

The SACD is not bad at all, it is not brickwalled nor heavily EQ'd but I can't put my finger on what keeps it from receiving the highest rating...the transfer? a higher gen tape?

The Half Speed Mastered is ...well, a totally different animal cause it has harmonics that aren't anywhere (wrong EQ in the chain) but it still works to its favor in a freaky way...

So, yes, from now on...I know what LPs I will spend my hard earned money on...

Last edited:
well, guess what I am spinning???
R-2257660-1344596190-5750.jpeg.jpg
R-2257660-1344596196-7569.jpeg.jpg

Yeah, I know that I am a big optimist who always says that everything is awesome cause ... IT IS!!!

And this is no exception....

Ahhh, Japanese pressings, when they are good they are Great and when they are fookin' good ..well they are fookin' awesome....
I always somehow hear ALL the space in the music when I get J pressings, maybe because somewhere in the chain they don't max out the volume like in the US pressings or other pressings...They always sound the closest to the 70-early 80s MFSL pressings.
You can feel the utmost care these people put into their work.

The best part is that this was ridiculously cheap, about 2,200 Yen (LP was 1,000Yen!!!!). And on top of that, I got a freebie bonus; the 1st DLBack Jap Pressing, so, for $20 or less I got these 2 great Jap pressings

Yes, I also got a USA Double Wally pressing which is the holy grail and it sounds great; a fuller sound, I'd say, but this one is way more detailed and nuanced.

The SACD is not bad at all, it is not brickwalled nor heavily EQ'd but I can't put my finger on what keeps it from receiving the highest rating...the transfer? a higher gen tape?

The Half Speed Mastered is ...well, a totally different animal cause it has harmonics that aren't anywhere (wrong EQ in the chain) but it still works to its favor in a freaky way...

So, yes, from now on...I know what LPs I will spend my hard earned money on...
I can't listen to the Mastersound. A double Wally is my go to as well. I've been told (and I believe it) that the Japnese generally master with less bass because most of the island is apartments and good bass makes for bad neighbors.

I love Japan vinyl though I have heard some that doesn;t get it done for me. If I had to pick one country to get all of my vinyl from it would be Germany. Meticulous QC like Japan but mastered much more like US vinyl, only quieter.

Always felt this band was a notch above pop bands of the mid-80s. A bit more sophisticated sound. Of course the two hits are great songs. “When Your Heart is Weak” is one of the greatest love/obsession songs out there.

Attachments

• 2A93BDB8-E9D4-4F19-9609-217137CFED32.jpeg
    2A93BDB8-E9D4-4F19-9609-217137CFED32.jpeg
    89.1 KB · Views: 130
Back