Spinning on the Turntable now...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20211113_205204.jpg

Native North America. 3 LP set. 2014.
Fantastic compilation.
https://lightintheattic.net/release...-1-aboriginal-folk-rock-and-country-1966-1985

Ashamed to say, I've never heard this album.....and yes.....I'm a big Elton fan. :(

It got overlooked at the time as there was a glut of Elton albums already on the charts when this was released. (Friends, Elton John and Tumbleweed Connection were still inside the top 70 at the time). However, this is essential listening for any EJ fan. This is what his early live shows sounded like, just a trio of him, Dee Murray and Nigel Olsson. No guitar player, and you don't miss it. They were a power-trio that could rank up there with the best of them. Elton's playing is off the charts. He later said he was afraid to release the album because he was not sure if he could ever play that well again. The energy is incredible, Dee & Nigel really shine. And to give you an idea as to how early in his career this is, he hasn't had a hit yet. "Border Song" had been released as a single three months earlier, but stalled at #92 on the singles chart. "Your Song" would debut at #89 on the singles chart the week after this concert. The Elton John album was inching its way up the album chart at #24 the week of the concert. If you love Elton, you need to hear this album. The original album was a single LP. But if you can find the RSD LP from a few years ago, grab it. It expanded on the original release to include the entire concert.

It got overlooked at the time as there was a glut of Elton albums already on the charts when this was released. (Friends, Elton John and Tumbleweed Connection were still inside the top 70 at the time). However, this is essential listening for any EJ fan. This is what his early live shows sounded like, just a trio of him, Dee Murray and Nigel Olsson. No guitar player, and you don't miss it. They were a power-trio that could rank up there with the best of them. Elton's playing is off the charts. He later said he was afraid to release the album because he was not sure if he could ever play that well again. The energy is incredible, Dee & Nigel really shine. And to give you an idea as to how early in his career this is, he hasn't had a hit yet. "Border Song" had been released as a single three months earlier, but stalled at #92 on the singles chart. "Your Song" would debut at #89 on the singles chart the week after this concert. The Elton John album was inching its way up the album chart at #24 the week of the concert. If you love Elton, you need to hear this album. The original album was a single LP. But if you can find the RSD LP from a few years ago, grab it. It expanded on the original release to include the entire concert.
Awesome, thanks for that. I will for sure seek it out.

That was always one of my favourite EJ albums. The UK version was titled 17-11-70 rather than 11-17-70 (US/Canada) to reflect the differing date format used in the US and often in Canada as well. Not a bad track on it, almost a greatest hits album, up to that time at least. "Bad Side of the Moon" was covered by April Wine. "Take Me To The Pilot" , "Burn Down the Mission", "Sixty Years On" Elton never gets any better than that!

I wore out my original Canadian UNI pressing (11-17-70) then picked up a re-release copy UK Pickwick ( Elton John Live 17-11-70) and still later a Japanese CD (17-11-70).

Recorded 51 years ago today in New York City. My 2nd favorite live album ever. (Top honors go to an album recorded nine months and three days earlier.......The Who Live at Leeds. :) )

View attachment 73617
That was always one of my favourite EJ albums. The UK version was titled 17-11-70 rather than 11-17-70 (US/Canada) to reflect the differing date format used in the US and often in Canada as well. Not a bad track on it, almost a greatest hits album, up to that time at least. "Bad Side of the Moon" was covered by April Wine. "Take Me To The Pilot" , "Burn Down the Mission", "Sixty Years On" Elton never gets any better than that!

I wore out my original Canadian UNI pressing (11-17-70) then picked up a re-release copy UK Pickwick ( Elton John Live 17-11-70) and still later a Japanese CD (17-11-70).
Mine bought in the UK is a US issue named 11-17-70, who knows why, they must have run short of UK pressings and shipped in from the USA, I don't think I've played it in 40+ years I must dig it out and give it a go.
Elton John – 11-17-70 (1971, Vinyl)

Back in 2017, there was an RSD (Record Store Day) release of 17-11-70 on vinyl that included a SECOND disc with the following tracks:

* Indian Sunset
* Amoreena
* Your Song
* Country Comfort
* I Need You To Turn To
* Border Song
* My Father's Gun

I wasn't able to go a participating record store day, but I was able to get a copy of it from a record store in Florida. Glad I went to the effort to hunt that down as it's always been one of my favorite EJ albums.

Playing Big Big Train - The Underfall Yard cherry cola triple vinyl in memory of David Longdon. this is the first time I have put this on the turntable, but I felt the time was right. RIP David.:cry:
View attachment 73684
Sad, sad loss. I think we could all see Graeme Edge coming, but this one is a shock. BBT became the BBT we know and love when David joined.

Back