Spinning on the Turntable now...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grateful Dead
Houston, Texas 11-18-1972

"Record Store Day" LP 2014

GD-2014RSD-.jpg

Satie: Piano Works - Frank Glazer 3 LP Vox

Hi Linda, do you have any Satie in surround? If so, what's your opinion? I've seen one or maybe two multichannel SACDs and am wondering if it's worth getting one. I'm guessing they would only be ambience given the sparse nature of the music but still might sound cool.

Hi Linda, do you have any Satie in surround? If so, what's your opinion? I've seen one or maybe two multichannel SACDs and am wondering if it's worth getting one. I'm guessing they would only be ambience given the sparse nature of the music but still might sound cool.

As you pointed out, sparse nature makes surround solo piano records almost a moot point.

I'm aware of these Satie surround titles. Listings from Mark Anderson's Quad Discography:

Quad:
Columbia MQ-31425 Romance - Isaac Stern/Brieff/Columbia Symphony
FREDERICK CHOPIN: Nocturne in e flat Op. 9, No. 2.
FELIX MENDELSSOHN: On Wings of Song.
ANTON RUBENSTEIN: Romance.
HENRY WIENIAWSKI: Romance from Violin Concerto No. 2.
FRANZ SCHUBERT: Serenade.
CLUADE DEBUSSY: The Girl with the Flaxen Hair.
SERGEI RACHMANINOFF: Vocalise.
ALEXANDER BORODIN: Nocturne.
ERIK SATIE: Gymnopedie No. 3.
P. I. TCHAIKOVSKY: Serenade Melancolique.
Perhaps my memory is off, but I don't remember this mix being all that active on SATIE. I own this on SQ LP. It has been years since I gave this Stern LP a spin.

Blood, Sweat & Tears (II) SQ, Q8 and multi SACD
SATIE: Gymnopedies #1 & 3
Recommended jazz interpretation. In my 10 favorite albums in any mix or format.

* 2C 069-10780 (SQ) Erik Satie: Pieces Pour Piano, Volume 1 (Aldo
Ciccolini) [France]
{Only the record labels have the SQ logo, no other Quad markings, all other
releases are stereo making this one questionable}

As Mark's comments indicate, I also doubt the French issue of this is actually SQ. I've owned this album on US Angel LP and as part of the 4 CD set of all 6 LP's of his late 60's/early 70's "cycle." Not SQ on either of my copies. It is my most played album of the several dozen Satie albums I own. Angel US pressings were too noisy. DEFINTIVE PERFORMANCES!

I bought the 80's Digital Recordings of Ciccolini on CD, too. Fidelity is a bit better, but I prefer the performances on the 60's-70's Ciccolini's.

Multi SACD:
Satie: Piano Works - Ronan O'Hora. Satie: Gymnopedies, Embryons
Desseches, Valse ballett Op. 62, Fantasie valse, Avant-Dernieres
Pensees, Nocturnes, Gnossiennes Ronan O'Hora (piano). Membran 222869

I have no experience with this title. Some great pieces: Gnosssienes, Gymnopedies and (Three Next to Last Thoughts) Trois Avant-Dernieres Pensees, my personal Satie fave.

Are you aware of other SATIE SACD's?

Are you aware of other SATIE SACD's?

Thanks for the detailed reply! I have seen this one: Satie:Piano Music Vol. 1 [Noriko Ogawa] It has some good reviews and some bad (for the performance - no mention of the surround). I don't normally like ambient-only surround, but when I've played through my stash of new discs from Christmas I will probably buy it and report back.

(There are further Satie surround SACDs in the series but of course Vol 1 has the greatest hits that even casual classical fans like me have heard of.)

Diamonds & Rust - Joan Baez Nautilus 1/2 speed test pressing

I Just Wasn't Made For These Times [Stereo Mix]/Wouldn't It Be Nice [Vocals Only]/Here Today [Stereo Backing Track] - Beach Boys 45 7" '96 advance tracks from '98 Pet Sounds sessions box

Magic Bus - (US/UK mono mix)/Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde (US mono single mix) - The Who
I Can See for Miles (early mono mix)/Someone's Coming (UK single mono mix) - The Who
7" 45's from The Who Sells Out Super Deluxe box

Started ripping the Camilo Sesto extravaganza!
Most of the LPs looked like they were from the same owner who treated them fine...
THIS ONE I was looking forward to from all of them cause it was a limited pressing and it's remixes from his biggest hits and it was done in 1981 at the same studio in Madrid where I worked at in 1991, Estudios Kirios (RIP)...
R-4405439-1587756433-9248.jpeg.jpg

Back