Spinning on the Turntable now...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20220521_174108.jpg

One of my all-time faves. This is a French first pressing on CBS.

Last edited:
It's a cool one to have. I always like the alternate version.. I always hope that someday they would do a reissue with both versions both versions on CD and of course surround.
I got the UK version soon as I saw it in the record store, and was pretty used to it when the '78 version started getting airplay on the radio and I was thinking what the heck? They changed up the vocals, and of course the song order on the newer album. So I always preferred the '77 version. It sounds fabulous too.

Surround? You might be dreaming with Annie! But that would be great. On Blu ray of course!

Yep it's the one that's different from the regular version.

1977 UK The one I am playing now.
View attachment 79188

1978 USA
View attachment 79189
I was a student at Uni in Cardiff ('76-'79), there was a record shop (opposite Spiller's Records!) which sold a lot of imports cheap, so mine is the same as your UK pressing but is a German pressing, so also has the bit about the band being in a contractual dispute. I just looked at my CD copy and its the same as the US vinyl.

I was a student at Uni in Cardiff ('76-'79), there was a record shop (opposite Spiller's Records!) which sold a lot of imports cheap, so mine is the same as your UK pressing but is a German pressing, so also has the bit about the band being in a contractual dispute. I just looked at my CD copy and its the same as the US vinyl.

I remember going into Sound Warehouse and they had a bin full of them. I bought three and gave two away as Christmas presents.

You may want to read the Wikipedia page on Magazine and then listen to the album to see why.
Hmm never heard or read that. I would rank right up there with the rest. Damned good album IMO. Of course a lot of stuff I like people would scratch their heads wondering to themselves why.. :)

And a lot of popular stuff people like and accumulate I don't like and have none of. So it goes both ways.

Maybe someone has uploaded both versions of the albums in their entirety on YouTube and you can judge for yourself. Of the two versions I prefer the vocal work on the 1977 version.

Personally, I feel Magazine is a good album but not one of their best because it was a rush (Heart didn’t like what the record company did) to put it out to please the record company at the time. For sure, it contains some gems.

Agreed. It does have some really strong stuff on it, but you can tell it was kind of a patchwork contractual-obligation sort of album. For my money though, the band was at its best when Roger Fisher was still there. So I will happily take this over any of their 80's or after output.

Agreed. It does have some really strong stuff on it, but you can tell it was kind of a patchwork contractual-obligation sort of album. For my money though, the band was at its best when Roger Fisher was still there. So I will happily take this over any of their 80's or after output.
To me, the second version sounds like some record producer was in the control room saying "OK Ann, now THIS time try and put some more oomph into it and hit more high notes." I like the more natural mellow flow of the original. Call me crazy!

Back