Spinning on the Turntable now...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O
Never heard of, nor heard this particular group but it sounds like something snood would say. 😆

Did they do only one album?

They released 3 albums.
First one, self titled, they were called Big Wha-Koo.
The dropped the “Big” from their name for the 2nd album, Berkshire. The song
(You’re Such a) Fabulous Dancer got some airplay. Both albums on ABC
3rd album, Fragile Line, on Epic.

O

They released 3 albums.
First one, self titled, they were called Big Wha-Koo.
The dropped the “Big” from their name for the 2nd album, Berkshire. The song
(You’re Such a) Fabulous Dancer got some airplay. Both albums on ABC
3rd album, Fragile Line, on Epic.
1655609092042.png

Me, no speakie Engrish

really.. you should have someone list your collection in Discogs.. I am sure it's worth quite a bit of change...
I still don't understand why someone would list all their albums and such unless they were putting it all up for sale. I have a few duplicates I mistakenly bought twice (or in once case 3 times!) that I might part with, that's about it.

I still don't understand why someone would list all their albums and such unless they were putting it all up for sale. I have a few duplicates I mistakenly bought twice (or in once case 3 times!) that I might part with, that's about it.
Well, I guess some people like some cream with their coffee and some don’t
in my case I find that having them listed helps me quite a bit, not for duplicates, my memory is quite good in that respect but in other ways
the last thing that I was interested in was its worth but in another way it’s very curious 
($400 or more for THAT?)

well , I decided to spin this overlooked jewel with outstanding sonics, it is also cut REALLY LOUD, my MOTU is basically in the RED!!!
That John KurOUTlander may have been a d**k but, man, he definitely had the art of recording a classical orchestra down pat!!!
NC0yMDY1LmpwZWc.jpeg

I probably have a repressing cause I did not get the cool original inner sleeve which had the REAL classics from RCA, one of which I got the other day at the Salvation Army (Swan Lake, which is also available in QUAD... anyone have a conversion of that?), hell, they even included the TOMITA "Pictures at an exhibition"!!!
NC0xMjcwLmpwZWc.jpeg

NC05NzE2LmpwZWc.jpeg

Flying Island - Another Kind Of Space

(btw if you like Jean-Luc Ponty you'd probably like Flying Island.)

flyingisland-space.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 80282
Styx ~ Equinox

My favourite Styx album, a Desert Island Disc for sure.
How long since I last played this audiophile pressing
.40 years?

Half Speed Mastered, pressed by JVC in Japan. Clean and utterly quiet.
Sibilants though are brutal.
Could blame my TT set up or the settings on my phono stage, but this is the only LP that sounds like this so
As i recall, during the vary late '1970s through the 80s and into the 90s, Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs pioneered (I believe) the 1/2 speed mastering craze that passed through the audiophile world back then. I remember that MFSL would describe the 1/2 speed mastering process and claim that they did not polish the sharp edges off of the metal masters to make sure that all the actual HF info was recovered. They described that some of their discs would sound harsh in the sibilants. They recommended setting your stylus pressure to the maximum recommended by the manufacturer and just play the record. Supposedly the diamond stylus would polish the sharp edges of each groove naturally and the problem would eventually disappear. My memory may have gotten some of the details incorrect, but I believe I've accurately described the gist of it. Personally, I never experienced this particular problem. I found the crispness and clarity of the high end and overall transparency of the sound in MFSL's early releases such as Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, to be truly amazing on my modest. but decent stereo...especially for 1979. A Pioneer SX-747 receiver, Sony turntable with Sonus Silver cartridge and a pair of loudspeakers designed and built in town by the local high end HiFi shop.

Mobile Fidelity which had originated and remained in Northridge, California for its first life was sold to a company in Chicago which still markets audiophile CDs and vinyl. As far as I know they abandoned 1/2 speed mastering years ago.

I need to do it for insurance value. Collections aren't covered under a standard homeowner's policy and my collection is worth about half of the house that it lives in.

I need to do it for insurance value. Collections aren't covered under a standard homeowner's policy and my collection is worth about half of the house that it lives in.
Was talking to a financial guy a couple of weeks ago. He asked if I had any collections like baseball cards that we could add to my net worth. "No, but I have a lot of records that are probably worth a few bucks..." He laughed out loud!

Was talking to a financial guy a couple of weeks ago. He asked if I had any collections like baseball cards that we could add to my net worth. "No, but I have a lot of records that are probably worth a few bucks..." He laughed out loud!
I insure my collection, its too big to steal (they'd get a hernia or slip a disc or two! ), but đŸ˜± if the house caught fire, paranoid maybe (on LP & CD :)) so I do it because of what it would cost to replace!

Back