Spinning on the Turntable now...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 80282
Styx ~ Equinox

My favourite Styx album, a Desert Island Disc for sure.
How long since I last played this audiophile pressing….40 years?

Half Speed Mastered, pressed by JVC in Japan. Clean and utterly quiet.
Sibilants though are brutal.
Could blame my TT set up or the settings on my phono stage, but this is the only LP that sounds like this so…,
Playing my standard issue Equinox. No sibilant distortion noted. Very clean sounding on the "Ssss" sounds, not excessively bright. Must be that super hot audiophile pressing!

styx-equinox.jpg

I insure my collection, its too big to steal (they'd get a hernia or slip a disc or two! ), but 😱 if the house caught fire, paranoid maybe (on LP & CD :)) so I do it because of what it would cost to replace!
I do have extra contents coverage on my homeowners policy to cover the stereo equipment, records, CDs etc. Probably need to have it all appraised by a 3rd party to cover replacement cost. I would never be able to replace it all anyway.

Playing my standard issue Equinox. No sibilant distortion noted. Very clean sounding on the "Ssss" sounds, not excessively bright. Must be that super hot audiophile pressing!

View attachment 80466
That was my introduction to Styx back in 1975 heard "Lorelei" on Capital Radio (UK London station), so got the LP and then loads of the following albums!

I love the subtle PRICE ...no, but really, I LOVE those hype stickers, so this is a first or early repress...
It's written on the shrink wrap. Came from Hot Rocks Records. The guy who owned the store would mark the price on all the albums with a yellow grease pencil. I could remove the price marking but that would take away some of the sentimentality I have for all those records I bought there. The store was close to my workplace.

It's written on the shrink wrap. Came from Hot Rocks Records. The guy who owned the store would mark the price on all the albums with a yellow grease pencil. I could remove the price marking but that would take away some of the sentimentality I have for all those records I bought there. The store was close to my workplace.
Same here with Sound of Market Records in Philly, he would do it in black grease pencil…it was a HUGE PLACE and IIRC, it eventually expanded…

02D4BFBB-BD6B-4117-A548-657F71644A60.jpeg
Count Basie - Echoes of an Era

My first play from the big pile of albums left to me by my late father-in-law.
This is a 2 LP comp of material from his Roulette years. The “Echoes” albums were a series, there are similar albums from other artists.

Back