Spinning on the Turntable now...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m listening to “3rd Stone From the Sun” at 45rpm. Are you? If not, do it. Right now!

Attachments

• 968D2E09-2633-46F2-81C8-482917B3A69E.jpeg
    968D2E09-2633-46F2-81C8-482917B3A69E.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Widely considered to be the worst album ever. I have to agree. Not sure why I kept it. Gonna listen to it anyway.

Attachments

• 6E4D751E-A2A3-4B43-B24A-BD945B6BF85E.jpeg
    6E4D751E-A2A3-4B43-B24A-BD945B6BF85E.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
I've bought a copy of the three vinyl record set from impulse called "The Drums" new back in the early 1970's, and I just bought an additional copy. The three record set only came in Compatible Quad. If you look at the cover of the album and the small booklet, you would never know it was a Quad record. The Drums is a collection of Jazz songs featuring some of the greatest Jazz drummer up until that time. This is the song list with the drummers: 1. Art Blakey- Alamode. 2. Max Roach-Mama. 3. Kenny Clarke-No Smokin'. 4. Philly Joe Jones-Thermo. 5. Sid Catlett-Afternoon if a Bassie-ite. 6. Jo Jones-Cottontail. 7. Connie Kay-Statement. 8. Roy Haynes-Snap, Crackle. 9. Dannie Richmond-The Berkeley Underground. 10. Buddy Rich-Brainwashed. 11. Louis Belson-Thunderbird. 12. Shelley Manne-Chrokee. 13. Chico Hamilton-Jim Jeannie. 14. Bernard "Pretty" Pudie-Comin Back. 15. Elvin Jones-Shiny Stockings. 16. Rashied Ali-Gospel Trane. 17. Milford Graves-Ghosts. 18. Baby Dodds-Spooky Drums. 19. Joe Chambers-Rufus. 20. Beaver Harris, Norman Conners, Ed Blackwell-Magic of Ju-Ju. 21. Sunny Murray-Pots. 22. Alphonze Mouzon-Late Evening Prayer. 23. Paul Motian-Angles. 24. Barry Altschul-Hues of Malanin.
I also have copies of "The Bass," and "The Saxophone." Also a collection from the Impulse label. However, I was unable to find those other Impulse collections in Quad. I thought they did produce them. I kind of think there were a few other instruments released as collections, but I am unable to find those either.

If your into Jazz and into Quad, "The Drums," Impulse Collection would be a welcome addition to your collection.

I'm now listening to a double vinyl record set by Ron Carter called "Piccolo." Ron Carter plays the piccolo bass, Kenny Barron - piano, Buster Williams - bass, and Ben Riley - drums. Carter plays the piccolo bass like a lead guitar/ cello with and without the bow. He plays tasteful melody and rhythm patterns that excite the band and the audience. The vinyl set has seven songs: Saguaro, Sun Shower, Blue Monk, Three Little Words, Laverne Walk, Little Waltz, and Tambien Conocido Como. However, if you were to obtain a CD copy of this recording you would not get "Blue Monk," because of time constraints the CD removed that track.

The recording is very good, and extremely good for a live recording from 1977. Amazing what was done with analog. Carter is a jazz double bass player who played with the Miles Davis Quintet in the 1960's, playing with Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, and Tony Williams. Carter's discography spans six decades of great jazz music.

This album is not a Quad format, but I am listening to it on my Quad system and I think its simulating a little of the Quad effect. I would appreciate some advice on this matter as to what my Marantz 4400 is simulating. The O-scope seems to show some Quad separation. With the double bass and the piccolo bass this recording makes the four speakers come alive. The bass sounds are not that modern thumping sound that is partially percussive and partially subsonic. This is a true bass sound played on acoustic instruments.

If you like the sound of two bass players there are other recordings that also use two bass players such as on the album Ole' by John Coltrane, there are two bass players on "Ole'", "Dehomey Dance". First Time! The Count Meets the Duke, is a recording that will tickle your ears when you here those two big bands meeting up in one studio playing the swing era hits from Duke Ellington and Count Basie. The two big bands also have two bass players.

Back