Spreading the word...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cai Campbell

In Remembrance
Since 2002/2003
Hey all,

I belong to an audio club here in Seattle called the Pacific Northwest Audio Society, or PNAS. Please, no jokes about the acronym.

The club publishes a newsletter containing a feature called "System of the Month". Well, this month they chose to feature my system. Since I am pretty much the only guy in the club that is heavy into surround-sound, this is going to be a real eye-opener for a lot of our members. Quadraphonics and surround-sound get ample coverage. If you're curious, check out the newsletter at www.greatgig.com/misc/PNASJuly2002.pdf

Also, as a tie-in to the newsletter I will be doing a stereo DVD-Audio demonstration at the club meeting this evening. The club's system is stereo only, and I'm not about to lug my own setup to the meeting to do a surround-sound demo. Preparing for this demonstration is what started me down the road of evaluating the contents and format of the various DVD-A titles now available. In any event, club members have had ample exposure to SACD but there has never been a demo of DVD-A, and I know a lot of these guys will be hearing it for the first time. I get the feeling that they will very surprised with what they hear.

So, in my own small way, I'm trying to get the word out that surround-sound is not the monster that many audiophiles think it is and also hope to show them that just because DVD-A is marketed primarily to home theater types doesn't mean that it doesn't have what it takes to soothe the stereophile beast.

Yowza!
Cai

Good Luck is spreading the mantra!

Hope they enjoy it...

:-jon

Har-de-har-har!

The club has been around for nearly 25 years, and all this time they called themselves PAS, puprosefully leaving out the N for obvious reasons. So, the first time I go to a meeting, they vote to change it to PNAS! I'm like, "Um, I know I'm new and all that, but you might want to think about what that sounds like." Nobody cared and the vote to change it to PNAS passed.

At our last meeting, one of the founding members attended and he was like, "You know, we named it PAS for a reason..." He was just shaking his head.

Oh well!

I hope he's not testi with you now....That could get very hairy!

Oops......

I know, I'm a prick.

Dammit!

I better not be so hard on you.

Sh*t

Just give me a fair shake....

Okay wiseguy... :rolleyes:

The presentation was a huge success! Everyone was floored by the sound quality of DVD-A. One guy came up to me and said, "I have been in this club for five years, and this is by far the best thing I've ever heard here". Yay!

Hey Quad...

You better be careful or Cai might have a BONE to pick with you.

Awesome!!!!! Whoever wrote the article did a damn fine job of explaining your system.

Maybe if I'm really really good Santa will bring me some of those groovy goodies!!!!!

Referring to an article read years ago by a professional reviewer who noted that some folks didn't go for quad due to the lack of "Oh wow" effect I'm glad the writer actually listened and noted the difference between stereo and quad. Of course, having decent gear and not relying upon a budget brand Sears $99 quad system to convey the possibilities of quad helps!!!

Way to go, dude!!!!!! What next? A TV appearance?

...tv appearnace?

Not until he gets a new lawn mower! :D

Today on the Jerry Springer show, we will be talking with members of the small PNAS group to determine once and for all just why they feel the need to own such large speakers.

We'll see the "members" of the PNAS group as they experience the joy of multiple channels, being surrounded by a soothing massage of aural bliss, culminating with an incredible crescendo of sound.

A free cigarette will be offered to all attendees!

Back