HiRez Poll Spyro Gyra - THE DEEP END [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Spyro Gyra - THE DEEP END

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Bad Mix, Bad Sound, Bad Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this title - (y) :phones (n)

A solid 10!

You need not have a love for jazz to appreciate this effort.

From the first notes of Summer Fling to the complete immersion of Monsoon, you are already settling down for a treat. The MC mastering by Paul Blakemore is top notch. This is one of those recordings where you can push the volume and it is easy on your ears. Very, very clean :smokin

Enjoy (y)

Nice mix; keywords are free, open, space, clean.
P.S. Is "5.1 Mastering" person responsible for mch sound resulting ??? Or its more to mixing person, producer ?

Last edited:
Of the three in this series that I've heard, this one is the best. Highly reccomended.

Good mix and fidelity - the playing is "studio perfect" - meaning that these guys having been making this type of consistent crossover jazz for over 20 years now and know how to do it - seemingly without effort -which is my only real criticism - they have a generic sound that unfortunately finds its way into supermarkets and dentist offices all too frequently - still a good surround title, but nothing extraordinary musically - an 8.

What Elmer said -- very polished. Easy to listen to and a good surround mix, but I traded it after one listen. An 8 nevertheless, we know what to expect with Spyro Gyra and they deliver it consistently.

I'll have to go back and listen to the old "Morning Dance" LP as I remembered enjoying that more.

Mark Z

I was listening to this and thought that's a great track.... put on the screen to check what it was ... and guess what track it was.... yep - Monsoon... awesome track...

The mix and sound quality don't get much better than this....

I was listening to this and thought that's a great track.... put on the screen to check what it was ... and guess what track it was.... yep - Monsoon... awesome track...

The mix and sound quality don't get much better than this....

Yep that was my first thought years ago. I still will spin that one when surround newbies visit the homestead! :smokin

all 5 of the Spyro Gyra SACDs have superb surround mixes and great sound quality, though the two most consistent in terms of surround and musical content are, for me, "In Modern Times" and "Good To Go-Go".

Good mix and fidelity - the playing is "studio perfect" - meaning that these guys having been making this type of consistent crossover jazz for over 20 years now and know how to do it - seemingly without effort -which is my only real criticism - they have a generic sound that unfortunately finds its way into supermarkets and dentist offices all too frequently - still a good surround title, but nothing extraordinary musically - an 8.

As an addendum to my own assessment, I should note that I recently saw them perform live in a fairly intimate setting and was blown away. They played hard and good! New respect!

Back