SQ CD Decoding

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Svensson

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Pardon the simpleton question, but for any of these CDs that have had the SQ encoding carried over does running it through Dolby PLII do anything to
give you a quad effect? Does it vary between discs? I've never had a Tate unit personally and the only SQ decoder I have has been one dimensional sound for several years. Found myself about to ask about the "quad mix" tracks from Volunteers on the old Jeff Airplane boxed set...... but I caught myself . Thanks. John

SQ and DPLII are quite different. Although you may get some out of phase effect, I do not believe you will notice the proper placement of sounds at all. However, there are always "lucky" exceptions.

I think maybe QS may yield a closer result in DPLII, but I will leave the definitive answers to those who know. :D

I have actually run the following JA albums through Pro Logic II (a Rockford Fosgate RFQ5000 car processor) with satifactory results:
Surrealistic Pillow
After Bathing at Baxter's (this one is the best of the bunch, very discrete)
Crown of Creation
Volunteers both the stereo and the CD-4
Live at the Fillmore East

Back