SQ Decode then QS Encode then QS Decode

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfbkfb

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
Discussions about Matrix Quad encoded (FM) radio content inspired this question:
(This may have happened at radio stations if the station used a QS encoder but had particular Quad content available only in SQ)

Take an SQ encoded LP, decode it (Involve Audio/Tate etc. SQ decoder) then
encode the resulting Quad into QS, then decode the QS (Variomatrix/Involve Audio etc.)

(I could get out my HP-45 calculator and figure out the vectors/channel separation values, but that doesn't take into account issues such as the 12dB issue, speed of logic action etc.)

I'd be interested to know how this decode/encode/decode cycle affects the Quad "presentation".

Kirk Bayne

I think that it would be a bad idea, matrix systems are by design a bit of a compromise. To convert one to another by any means would involve even more compromises. You would end up with the worst of both worlds.

I think that it would be a bad idea, matrix systems are by design a bit of a compromise. To convert one to another by any means would involve even more compromises. You would end up with the worst of both worlds.
Not exactly what Kirk was inquiring about, but...
In ancient days of The MCS Review I was in contact with a quaddie that would decode stereo in the synth mode on a Sansui QS decoder. Then he would take the decoded outputs & with Y connectors mix front/back into 2 ch and decode again. I guess the logic was if it sounds good decoded once it must sound GREAT decode twice!

I didn't have 2 QS decoders at the time so I decoded once & tape recorded it. Then mixed it down to 2 ch & decoded again. What an un-godly mess it was! Certainly plenty of sound coming from each speaker with no sense of direction, just a huge mash up. I didn't even finish listening to one song to know it was trash.

Still Kirk raises a good question. I'm kinda thinking high separation decoded SQ encoded by the original EV matrix might have worked out pretty good for broadcasting.

Last edited:
Back