SQ Decoder and 4 channel receiver.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockaMarka88

Hello, quaddies.

Just a question out of curiosity...

I have a Sony SQD-2020 SQ decoder, and the instruction manual states that one has to connect it to two separate amplifiers; front and rear.
I have done so when playing my SQ and QS records, and the results are quite good.

According to other quad related forums and websites, the decoder is not designed to be used with a 4 channel amp/receiver.
Indeed, I have connected it to my Realistic QTA-753, and it more or less plays double stereo.

Is there any particular reason for this? I'm just curious.

Many thanks,

Mark

Other quad-related forums?
Four independent channels are four independent channels, no matter if in two boxes or one box.
Be sure the QTA-753 is not in bridged mode.
What are the SQ records you have played? Some have greater or lesser separation than others.

Yup, make sure the four discrete channels on your receiver are truly discrete and everything is selected properly and there is absolutely no reason it shouldn't work like any other four discrete channels.

Doug

Hi, everyone.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Guess what? I turned the switch to “Discrete 4”, and...voilà! Four independent channels!😂

Apologies; I thought “bridged” mode meant the “Stereomax” function, which “bridges” the rear speakers with the front to get twice the number of watts.

Also, I thought the “Discrete 4” function only applied to CD-4 because it’s Compatible Discrete-4, as opposed to Matrix. I was completely barking up the wrong tree!😂

FAEB196D-CEA1-4864-8138-59B65862EC1F.jpeg

Anyway, it’s all up and running now. Thanks for your help! 👍🏻😁

2F538CF7-93CA-419D-9CE2-AB0DA9CE74F1.jpeg

Hi, everyone.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Guess what? I turned the switch to “Discrete 4”, and...voilà! Four independent channels!😂

Also, I thought the “Discrete 4” function only applied to CD-4 because it’s Compatible Discrete-4, as opposed to Matrix. I was completely barking up the wrong tree!😂
Nope on "Discrete 4" for only CD-4. You can connect any already decoded music (think "outboard" decoder, like what your SQD-2020 is), or any already discrete source (CD-4, quad 8-track, and quad reel-to-reel). Also, if you branch into digital 4-channel media (like Dutton-Vocalion's 4-channel SACD reissues), the 4-channel output from an SACD/DVD-A/BD-A player can also be connected to "Discrete 4" too. Basically think of it as an AUX input, you can connect any 4-channel source that won't need to be decoded internally by your receiver.

Back