SQ decoder needed

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This looks great - but it's a shame it doesn't have a digital out. I know that would upset the purists - but it'd make it a whole lots easier to integrate within a normal home surround system.

https://involveaudio.com/product/surround-master-v3/
It wouldn't be impossible for them to do, but considering the license fees for whichever system, for example, DTS, they'd have to convert the output to, not to mention the necessary A-to-D converters needed to accomplish the deed, and to include the HDMI output, the price of the SM would be, necessarily, much higher. Is there really a market for that extra circuitry to be added to an already excellent piece?

On that note, Involve has a preamp in the works that will include Surround Master circuitry. I don't know for certain if it will also include HDMI in/out connections; As far as I know, it's an all-analog device, possibly including a two-channel-in Toslink optical input, that could be fed from a CD/DVD player for playing stereo CD's through the SM circuitry for enhancement, or matrix-encoded discs for proper decoding. Involve are also looking to license their SM circuitry to other hardware manufacturers, for inclusion in their receivers and processors. At the same time, there's a bit of a push for said manufacturers to, once again, include multichannel analog inputs on their products.

I use my SM with a Denon AVR-3300 receiver, from back in 2000. It has Dolby Digital, DTS, Pro-Logic 1, and analog multichannel inputs. Those inputs are shared, via a switchbox, with a DVD/DVD-A/SACD player, and my CD-4 demodulator. It works, and it's terrific. The receiver still works perfectly, and sounds as good as the day I got it.

Last edited:
Bridge Over Troubled Water is a mess in SQ, no matter decoder you use - the actual discrete quad mix (as heard off the Q8/Q4) isn't all that impressive to begin with. The title track and "El Condor Pasa" have very little front/back separation to begin with. Some of the other songs are a bit better - "Cecelia" has the xylophone at the end in the rears and "Baby Driver" has some of the car effects going around the room - but overall it's uncharacteristically tame for a Columbia quad.
I'm not sure if they were, actually, going for a lot of separation in the BOTW mix. The SQ mix, regardless of which decoder I've used, tends to have a more "ethereal" sound to it, which kinda-sorta matches the music. On the title track, Art's voice seems to be suspended in mid-air. I've also heard the discrete version, from a DVD-A that was made from the Robin tape. It's pretty much the same effect. I also made a QS-encoded disc, to play in my car sans decoding, and it beats even the stereo mix, when played without decoding.This may, or may not, be what the engineers at Columbia were after, but I like it!

Last edited:
This looks great - but it's a shame it doesn't have a digital out. I know that would upset the purists - but it'd make it a whole lots easier to integrate within a normal home surround system.

https://involveaudio.com/product/surround-master-v3/
@chucky3042 has indicated that he’s considering an HDMI output on a decoder, but that the licensing fees to HDMI make the profitability of a niche product questionable.

I’ve spent years looking for a MCH audio-in/HDMI-out adapter, and they are as scarce as hens’ teeth. At first glance, the technology isn’t too intimidating to a retired circuit engineer, but I have enough on my plate that I definitely won’t be working on that project this hear.

What is everyone using to decode SQ and QS vinyl records? I've tried Dolby Pro Logic 2 and it does not work properly with SQ. My Marantz receiver has a couple of matrix settings on it, they don't work either. I've got a new copy of "Bridge Over Troubled Water" in SQ I'm dying to hear. Does the Involve decoder give good front/back separation? I've searched for years for a Tate Decoder, no luck. Thanks in advance for any insight you can give me. -Chris

For SQ matrix , you might try DTS NEO matrix.

According to the late great Disclord , he got very good results with their Matrix.
His knowledge for all things SQ can be found in some of the legacy threads regarding quad matrix.

Ideally you could purchase a Surround Master version 2 , for SQ and QS encoded cds and LPS .

It wouldn't be impossible for them to do, but considering the license fees for whichever system, for example, DTS, they'd have to convert the output to, not to mention the necessary A-to-D converters needed to accomplish the deed, and to include the HDMI output, the price of the SM would be, necessarily, much higher. Is there really a market for that extra circuitry to be added to an already excellent piece?

On that note, Involve has a preamp in the works that will include Surround Master circuitry. I don't know for certain if it will also include HDMI in/out connections; As far as I know, it's an all-analog device, possibly including a two-channel-in Toslink optical input, that could be fed from a CD/DVD player for playing stereo CD's through the SM circuitry for enhancement, or matrix-encoded discs for proper decoding. Involve are also looking to license their SM circuitry to other hardware manufacturers, for inclusion in their receivers and processors. At the same time, there's a bit of a push for said manufacturers to, once again, include multichannel analog inputs on their products.

I use my SM with a Denon AVR-3300 receiver, from back in 2000. It has Dolby Digital, DTS, Pro-Logic 1, and analog multichannel inputs. Those inputs are shared, via a switchbox, with a DVD/DVD-A/SACD player, and my CD-4 demodulator. It works, and it's terrific. The receiver still works perfectly, and sounds as good as the day I got it.
What is the name of the switch box you are using.

Thanks

What is the name of the switch box you are using.

Thanks
20230725_211855.jpg

This is the switchbox. Three inputs, one out. It's an inexpensive one, originally intended for component video, with stereo audio. It works for 5 channel audio, too. Got it from Amazon.

Back