SQ decoding via Dolby pro logic 2/ modern Dolby Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seanh

Hello All,

New here and I have a decoder question.

I recently bought a SQ record and it set off a quad interest. I have tried to use Dolby pro logic II on an older Avr (Onkyo tx-sr705) decode it by turning off the center channel and only using four speakers and a sub. From what I played on a SQ demo disk on YouTube (QS demo) it seems to decode each channel reasonably well. When they say it surrounds you on the demo it sound starts at point A and goes 360 around the room and back to pint A. How accurate is it Dolby IIcompared to a stand alone SQ decoder?

Also in my main atmos system I have a Marantz AV7702MK2 that has Dolbysurround. It claims to be able to support all legacy Dolby decoding. Has anyone tried this with QS and compared accuracy to an External sq decoder?

Thank you everyone for your answers for someone new. After more research I found this on AVS Written by Jim Fosgate about Dolby Pl2 which he developed.

“Does PL II decode SQ and of QS Quadraphonic material?

It does a great job on EV4, and QS, but not so good on SQ. I do not think there is any way to adapt it to work correctly with SQ. On SQ material all the directional signals come out in the correct positions except LB and RB. The LB information will appear in LF. The RB information will appear in RF. This is not a problem on a lot of SQ material where mostly ambiance was recorded in the backs.”

I am still wondering how good a job modern Dolbysurround, DTS X and Auro 3D would do. I will try it on my other system in the coming weeks.

Jim posted a about 10 times on AVS in 2001 and even had a demo of PL2 at his home for AVS members. Jim were are you we have more questions?

Last edited:
My experience with playing SQ through PL II has been that, while you'll get some front-rear separation, the rear localization is gone. It sounds diffuse. It's OK on classical albums, but not so much for pop. From what I've been reading, the new Dolby Surround, DTS-X, and Auro 3D work in an entirely different way. They'll do nothing for SQ or QS.

I tried QS and EV with Dolby surround via YouTube. The music appears from the appropriate speaker. It does not with SQ. Will have to get a surround master. How much do they run? There site was down today. Is there any sonic difference between the v1 and new v2?

You can somehow pimp fully featured PL-II decoders:

- Use the PL-II Music Mode.
- Activate the Panorama-Mode
- Then set Dimension and Center-Width to your liking.

Nonetheless you won't achieve rears separation.
But what you gain is proper stereo separation (widening)

You can somehow pimp fully featured PL-II decoders:

- Use the PL-II Music Mode.
- Activate the Panorama-Mode
- Then set Dimension and Center-Width to your liking.

Nonetheless you won't achieve rears separation.
But what you gain is proper stereo separation (widening)
But if you can't get separation in the rears, what's the point?

Back