SQ Decoding with Adobe Audition for New Converters - Start Here

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi there

Newbie here. I gather a version of Cool Edit Pro is supposed to be pretty much the same as Audition 1.5 and so can run the scripts. Any thoughts?

- Mike

Hi there

Newbie here. I gather a version of Cool Edit Pro is supposed to be pretty much the same as Audition 1.5 and so can run the scripts. Any thoughts?

- Mike

Unfortunately, Cool Edit Pro does not have the Center channel Extractor found in Adobe Audition and therefore cannot run the scripts. Fortunately, you can now download Adobe Audition 3.0 for free!

Program: http://www.adobe.com/downloads/cs2_downloads/index.html

3.01 patch: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4237

Phase Bug: http://www.betabugsaudio.com/plugs.php

J. D.

Hi J. D.

Thank you so much for the help, I am quite excited about this!

- Mike

Not sure it could. The techniques for extracting the front and rear from the SQ or QS encoded stereo is strictly possible because of the way Adobe Audition works. The scripts for decoding use phase shifting and center channel extraction.

Voxengo makes great programs but there is way more to the process than just phase manipulation. There is extraction of center channel information, channel mixing and more that is being done. The process also involves using copies of the same file for front and rear. Then you have to manipulate the resulting files from the first process to do a second process. Then you manipulate those files to do a third process. Each process is done with a separate set of instructions or "script". I don't know everything about Pro Tools but I do know that Audition is the only program that will do a main part of the process. I have Wavelab, Nuendo and Sound Forge besides Audition and none of those will do the things that Audition does. And even the new version of Audition won't do the things that version 3.01 will do.

Hi guys,

I know I am warming up an old thread, but 10 years after my idea about using Adobe Audition as a tool for SQ decoding and after setting up a modern i7 PC as my allround media player, I came up with the idea to give AA REAL TIME SQ DECODING a try....and it works !
Modern PCs are fast enough to do all of the phase shifting and all six instances of the Center Channel Extractor on the fly !
Not really real-time, there is a lag of approx. half a second, but who cares...
If anybody is interested in my settings, I can post them here.
I am still using AA3, I tried the 2014 x64 version as well, but the main problem remains:
AA runs only one thread...even in the actual version !!
This means that the CCE stuff can only use one CPU core, a fast CPU with good single core capapilities is mandantory.

Now I can quick check SQ and QS sources about their quadraphonic qualities and it is some kind of elevating moment of finally being able to replace a Tate or whatever with a standard software...

Andreas

Hi guys,

I know I am warming up an old thread, but 10 years after my idea about using Adobe Audition as a tool for SQ decoding and after setting up a modern i7 PC as my allround media player, I came up with the idea to give AA REAL TIME SQ DECODING a try....and it works !
Modern PCs are fast enough to do all of the phase shifting and all six instances of the Center Channel Extractor on the fly !
Not really real-time, there is a lag of approx. half a second, but who cares...
If anybody is interested in my settings, I can post them here.
I am still using AA3, I tried the 2014 x64 version as well, but the main problem remains:
AA runs only one thread...even in the actual version !!
This means that the CCE stuff can only use one CPU core, a fast CPU with good single core capapilities is mandantory.

Now I can quick check SQ and QS sources about their quadraphonic qualities and it is some kind of elevating moment of finally being able to replace a Tate or whatever with a standard software...

Andreas

Hello Andreas, Welcome, great to see you here again! Yes, please post your settings and any info you have. That's totally awesome you found a way for real time decoding! I'm sure we all will have lot's of questions to ask.

A lot of us have been wanting to do more decoding with the scripts for DVD-A creation, but at this point, not sure which script to use now as your original script has been changed many, many times. Do you have any scripts you could post or recommend we use now? Any info would be really helpful and great! Thanks.

Jim

I agree. It's great to see you again! Though I use the Involve Decoder now it would be great to check the results against Audition without having to wait 2 or 3 hours. If you need an email let me know!!! Thanks and welcome back. Hope you are well!!!

Welcome back to the originator of SQ decoding on the PC using AA.

Hi guys,

I will try to post something the next weekend, I will have to take screenshots because just posting an AA3.0 session file will not help much, because it is adapted to my sound setup.

I am pretty sure that a proper decoded (calculated by script) hi-res file will sound better than the on-the-fly-method, but I just was listening across some SQ-records and it sounds airy and free (I am no fan of heavy de-noising) and my setting are still the basic ones I used 10 years ago.
I decoded everything "by hand", there was never an "Imploder script". That came later, but not from me.
I am using 44.1/16 Bit because of my CPU's and Adobe's limitations, but, as I said, it is sounding very well.

I do not use only free tools in the effect chain, but....later, next weekend. :rolleyes:

Huh, never heard of the "Involve Decoder", but I can see no SQ compatibility in his official specifications...what is that thing? A free programmable DSP in a tiny box that can be programmed to all possible matrix versions? Or is the program unchangeable?

Perhaps only one thing before I continue listening....I have a PC with a 8 channel hi-res soundcard and I am doing everything with that machine, even listening (and declicking...) to analogue records, watching full-HD movies and running a VST host in the Windows sound system for real-time correcting my setup's frequency response with a 6-channel convolver and a bass management VST....
Lots of great stuff...

Andreas

Hi guys,

I will try to post something the next weekend, I will have to take screenshots because just posting an AA3.0 session file will not help much, because it is adapted to my sound setup.

I am pretty sure that a proper decoded (calculated by script) hi-res file will sound better than the on-the-fly-method, but I just was listening across some SQ-records and it sounds airy and free (I am no fan of heavy de-noising) and my setting are still the basic ones I used 10 years ago.
I decoded everything "by hand", there was never an "Imploder script". That came later, but not from me.
I am using 44.1/16 Bit because of my CPU's and Adobe's limitations, but, as I said, it is sounding very well.

I do not use only free tools in the effect chain, but....later, next weekend. :rolleyes:

Huh, never heard of the "Involve Decoder", but I can see no SQ compatibility in his official specifications...what is that thing? A free programmable DSP in a tiny box that can be programmed to all possible matrix versions? Or is the program unchangeable?

Perhaps only one thing before I continue listening....I have a PC with a 8 channel hi-res soundcard and I am doing everything with that machine, even listening (and declicking...) to analogue records, watching full-HD movies and running a VST host in the Windows sound system for real-time correcting my setup's frequency response with a 6-channel convolver and a bass management VST....
Lots of great stuff...

Andreas
I should have called it the "Surround Master". It is the latest box that is made to decode both SQ and QS - and it does a FABULOUS job!!! It also does a great job of upmixing stereo to 4.0 or 5.1.

Involve Decode is there name but
is a QS decoder

There is a Newer version that does QS and SQ

Hi guys, total SQ newbie query, would greatly appreciate your help..

I've got Adobe Audition etc but now it appears the SQ script Old Quad Guy refers to in this thread no longer works on the recent editions (and seemingly hasn't for some time?)

Basically all I want to do is decode my SQ vinyl transfers on the Mac and turn them into 4.0 FLACs/WAVs (or whatever so long as it lossless) so I can then play them back in 4.0 Quad on the computer and/or make 4-channel DTS CDs/DVDs (or whatever format, I'm open to suggestions) down the line.

I realise I am about 8 years behind the times on this but if it is at all possible I would like to try the software decoding route first
(I can't cope with another piece of equipment in my tiny place.. and there's the variable quality and reliability of old decoders and even if I got a brand spanky new Surround Master I'd have to get another audio interface with 4 channel input and I can't justify the outlay or the clutter).

Thanks in advance, looking forward to hearing from you :)

I use Oxford Dickie's SQ Final public script - it's very good. Do you have Audition 3.01? I can help you through the pain barrier!

BTW, what isn't working? Is the script stopping very quickly. Does OQD's script require the Phase Bug plugin?

I use Oxford Dickie's SQ Final public script - it's very good. Do you have Audition 3.01? I can help you through the pain barrier!

BTW, what isn't working? Is the script stopping very quickly. Does OQD's script require the Phase Bug plugin?

Thank you so much :) Nothing's working! :D I'll PM you tomorrow... (phase butt plug in?! :eek: ) I've got a lot to learn!

Just checked Mike, it's Audition CC 2015, Version 8.0.0

Not looking very promising..

Think I'm heading off to :ebay :D

Audition 3 is a legitimate free download from the adobe site (and so is the .01 patch). There's a link to it somewhere here!

EDIT: See post #102 in this thread, although when I clicked on it just now it asked to sign in, which I don't remember if I had to do a few years ago, but it does ring a bell...

...In fact, I'm pretty certain I did.

Back