SQ MATRIX Various Information ( BILLBOARD 1972-1976 )

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't see mention of SQ encoding on my Laserdisc copy either but it is defiantly encoded! My copy does mention that it uses CX noise reduction however.

Note that any Dolby surround recording will play back through an SQ decoder with everything recorded in the surround channel coming out of both back speakers.

Odd, but I don't recall Hifi stereo VHS coming out until after Beta was gone. And I was not interested in ANY video format until it could hold Dolby Surround.

Note that any Dolby surround recording will play back through an SQ decoder with everything recorded in the surround channel coming out of both back speakers.

Odd, but I don't recall Hifi stereo VHS coming out until after Beta was gone. And I was not interested in ANY video format until it could hold Dolby Surround.
Both VHS and Beta-HiFI coexisted for a long while! Beta was never "long gone" only maybe a few years before DVD's started to replace all videotape. Don't forget ED Beta came out in 1988, Beta machines were still produced until 2002! High end models were always HiFi!

All vintage Quadraphonic decoders that I know of could decode Dolby surround, but so what? It's not rocket science to put an out of phase signal into a stereo mix.

If you are suggesting that the Bowie recording is Dolby Surround rather than SQ you would be dead wrong. It was done in conjunction with the "Tate" people Wes Ruggles & Martin Wilcox and meant to be decoded by the Fosgate TateII.

Last edited:
https://books.google.com/books?id=T...epage&q="emi" "single inventory" "sq"&f=false^^^
"Qapability' Quiet

(went thru this thread, didn't see this info)

Kirk Bayne

Well , that's rather common knowledge Kirk. (at least for any quadraphile)

I saw that and I found it of little interest. Basically Angel double circle single inventory albums were from recordings made in Europe ,first released in SQ on the EMI and associated labels.

What is unique about Angel SQ Recordings is that they were still being issued in the early 80s. This is why I subscribed to Larry Clifton's Quad Quarterly/MCS Review for the latest updates.

If you play Dolby Surround recordings through a QS or RM decoder, you'll get separation in the rears, as well as the fronts. Dolby Surround is not fully compatible with SQ, but plays very well with QS.

Quadraphonic cassettes going to be introduced in the U.K.by CBS/Columbia (November 10 ,1973 ; 70)

IIRC, CBS/Columbia USA stated that prerecorded cassettes (at least with the tech available in the early to late 1970s) weren't suitable for matrix quadraphonic sound.

Anyone have any of these early 1970s CBS UK SQ cassettes (how do they sound compared to the same title on SQ LP thru the SM, for example)?

Kirk Bayne

Well I last left off with Billboard SQ tidbits from June 1974 as per post #43, so to continue;

(June 22 1974 pgs 01 & 54)
Tate DES unveiled at the CES Chicago with Martin Wilcox w/ the I C'S having 40 dbs front to back separation according to Wes Ruggles and Mr Bogue.

(June 29 1974 pg73)
The record Santana- LOTUS is the best selling record in Japan as compiled by Yamaha Music Stores.

(July 20 1974 pg03)
Advent Records introduces chromium dioxide cassettes by both Nonesuch and Conniseur Society(SQ).

(August 03 1974pg 30)
EMI 'S first Melodiya quad album will be "Katcharian's -SPARTACUS " recorded at the London Colliseum.

Pg 72
Capitol Records Canada , Import Division has begun to release the following UK Imports in Quadraphonic :
Pink Floyd - The Dark Side Of The Moon and will release Canadian pressings of John Keating - Hits In HIFI , and Mandingo - A Story Of Survival.

(August 10 1974) "QUADRAPHONIC FEATURE issue"
pg36
Listing of Columbia Records SQ albums to date.

PG48
The CD-FORUM Newsletter and The SQ Newsletter are introduced for interested audiophiles.

pg 67
Capitol Records Canada will be releasing SQ quad albums in September. SQ disc's by John Keating and Mandingo also Vanguard SQ albums and SQ Quad imports such as Pink Floyd's- The Dark Side Of The Moon.

(December 14 1974 pg 03)
Angel Records unveiled the first SQ Quad albums .

Pg20 & 43 , 48
Columbia Studios New York adds a CD-4 Mastering room along with an SQ Mastering Room.
Columbia Recording Studios are equipped with SQ and CD-4 encoding , all five of the USA locations.
-at CBS all nine Lacquer Channels are used for SQ , one also cuts for CD-4.
coming soon all Chicago 's albums in SQ as announced at the CES Chicago.

IIRC, CBS/Columbia USA stated that prerecorded cassettes (at least with the tech available in the early to late 1970s) weren't suitable for matrix quadraphonic sound.

Anyone have any of these early 1970s CBS UK SQ cassettes (how do they sound compared to the same title on SQ LP thru the SM, for example)?

Kirk Bayne
wow..!! 🤯🎉
do we know what the titles are?
is there any catalogue number information?

There WAS no Dolby Stereo and no LCRS when Tommy was made in 1975. They didn't exist yet. Dolby Stereo was first used the following year. Tommy was LCR with the L and R encoded in QS and C being a discrete center channel. LCR was a standard release method at the time. There was no surround track.

They added the Dolby Stereo logo when Dolby Stereo went into use in 1977. But they did not really have to do anything to the film because QS plays perfectly in Dolby Stereo (and Dolby Surround).

From what I understood in the literature at the time, The Who did the actual QS mix, not Polydor. Polydor entered later to make and distribute the records.

The VHS and DVD copies of Tommy I have include the Dolby Surround, QS, and Quintaphonic logos on the case and in the film. The DVD case (in front of me now) says ORIGINAL QUINTAPHONIC MIX AUDIO, Dolby Digital 5.0, and 2 ch Dolby Surround.
amazingly, the Blu-ray has the Quintaphonic in 5-channel fully discrete form! 😱💘

the Rears are not derived from QS-encoded Fronts as they are on the DVD, they are truly distinct from the Fronts!

its a must hear and after a complete playthrough thoroughly enjoying watching the movie in that way i found it an absolute hoot to go back to the start and isolate the individual channels at varying points, some incredible stuff going on in each channel throughout!! 💗

Quadraphonic cassettes going to be introduced in the U.K.by CBS/Columbia (November 10 ,1973 ; 70)

Angel debuts first SQ albums . (December 14, 1974 ; 03)

SQ OHR Music Productions : Hanza a Berlin subsidiary.
"There has been considerable International success with Tangerine Dream , Ash Ra Tempel , and Klaus 'Quadro'
Schulze ". All the quadraphonic albums from the German labels OHR , Pilz , and Kosmiche Kuriere .
(June 16 ,1973 ; 67)

EMI/Electrola Germany have introduced albums in SQ by : John Lennon , Heino , Deep Purple , Hugo Strasser , Helmut Zacharias , Barry Lipman and Adamo . (July 01 1972 : 48)
were any titles, artists or catalogue number info ever mentioned at all?
i'd dearly love to find one/some of these CBS UK SQ-encoded cassettes!! 🥰

were any titles, artists or catalogue number info ever mentioned at all?
i'd dearly love to find one/some of these CBS UK SQ-encoded cassettes!! 🥰

Nay.

But if they did...I think they'd be one hell of a collectors item. I'm thinking CBS Labs might have stopped the UK Affiliate from carrying it through.

There were EMI SQ cassettes but they were unmarked, and in the Classical genre.

Last edited:
Well I guess more tidbits this time starting 1977 , as those last 2 posts are repetitious of this thread.

(January 29 1977 pg 69)
Winter CES Highlights ;
A&R executives invited by CBS to hear Peter Scheiber and his Delteck Paramatrix SQ Decoder .

(March 12 1977 pg 90)
CBS introduces The Ghent Microphone
Inventor Ben Bauer dubs it the Ghent Microphone System in honor of the venue in which it was conceived . THE Ghent System is an adaptable miking system . From CBS Labs comes word of a new Microphone for recording SQ Quad...for positioning in a Concert Hall so that it's front reception area covers the stage while the balance of the Microphone perimeter receives Hall ambience .
The prototype utilizes a modified Neuman QM 69 Microphone which consists of 4 cardioid capsules mounted within a single housing .

(May 21 1977 pg 14)
At the AES Los Angeles, Tate Audio demonstrated it's long awaited production I.C. chips from National Semi Conductor for the Tate System multichannel SQ Decoder in the CBS suite . The Tate System provides superior separation in enhancing multichannel SQ quadraphonic reproduction and Tate principal Wes Ruggles claims it will generate a whole new rebirth of 4 Channel and SQ. The chips will be made available to manufacturers in June.

(June 11 1977 pg 56)
The June CES in Chicago
Both CBS SQ and Sansui QS , matrices argue against the expenses incurred on any Discrete system . And there is more study involved for the NQRC /FCC.

(June 18 1977 pg 55)
All Angel and Seraphim as well as Columbia Masterworks albums are now indicated with a "Q" in the album's number. That "Q" means it is an SQ quadraphonic encoded album .
Shown at the CES are 4 channel adaptors for Automobiles ,including an SQ Tate black box adapter using National Semiconductors I.C .'s.
Also a b'd were the Tate and Scheiber Parametric Decoders .

(June 25 1977 pg 43)
Picture of the SQ quartet....at the CBS suite at this Summers CES includes ...Peter Scheiber , Martin Willcocks(Tate ), Wes Ruggles(Tate) and Ben Bauer (CBS )...and their new advanced SQ Decoders.
Reported in July 23 77 page 32 &38 , the above had at the CBS Suite : Tate Audio, Wes Ruggles with the new National Semiconductors I. C. 'S , Peter Scheiber , with his 360 degree SQ Decoder and the Ghent SQ Microphone System .

Last edited:
(July 30 1977pg 32)
Vanguard Records signs an LP Import deal with Ariola/Eurodisc Germany. Initially there will be 10 records all issued under the Vanguard label. (Eurodisc is busy releasing SQ albums)

(August 27 1977 pg 66)
Angel Records supplies a listing of their albums and cassettes ,most are SQ encoded.

(September 24 1977 pg 79)
Angel Records supplies an updated listing of their LPS and cassettes in an advertisement.

(October 08 1977 pg 54)
Golden Crest Records are heavy into recording College music . The Golden Crest Series is priced ($6) , and all of our music is pressed on pure Virgin vinyl with a number of our LPS taped in 4channel SQ sound , a label spokesman states.

(November 05 1977 pg 54)
Large advertisement for "Live At The Agora" broadcasting Rock music in SQ quad. In Ohio and Pennsylvania.

Pages74
At the AES Convention ; Features quadraphonic presentations by advances in CBS SQ by Ben Bauer , the Scheiber Deltek SQ Parametric decoder . Also with Ben Bauer a live broadcasting Filharmonia Delas Americas
in SQ with Gustavo Cots Audiorama in Mexico City.

(December 10 1977 pg 39)
Advertisement for latest Angel SQ records and cassettes.

Ok now 1978..

(January 21 1978 pg 70)
CES shows Audionics latest SQ Tate Decoder , which will sell for about $300.00.
Audionics Of Oregon call it a "Super Decoder"..for SQ program material from disc's and tapes and also Live Encoded Broadcasts .
Pg 91...Angel Records advertisement for Stereo SQ quad LPS.

(March 11 1978 pg 118)
INSIDE TRACK
The CBS Technology Center at Stamford Connecticut has developed a quad Mike system that allows listeners to tell where performers are on stage . The new Mike can be hung from the proscenium and allows performers to move around it. Though most effective with four Receivers, Ben J Bauer of The Center says direction can be received with only Dual speakers .

(March 18 1978 pg 47)
Angel Records and Seraphim Records LP and cassette advertisement.

(March 25 1978 pg 84)
BBC TRANSCRIPTION Services advertisement.

April 08 1978 pg ?
Biscuits 5th Anniversary, The King Biscuit Flower Hour kicks off it's Fifth Anniversary of Broadcasts on March 26th with a 90 minute Broadcast featuring Eric Clapton at The Santa Monica Civic Auditorium. Now carried by 235 Stations DIR Broadcasting , launched the show on 25 outlets five years ago. The first show featured The Mahavisnu Orchestra, Blood Sweat and Tears and Bruce Springsteen.
Recorded in 24 track Stereo , several of the productions have later been released as Live Albums. These include the current Bee Gees Live LP , and albums by Rod Stewart and Emerson, Lake and Palmer.

(May 13 1978 pg86)
NEVE SELLS BROADCAST CONSOLES-JAPAN
CBS/SONY is getting 03 , 40 channel 24 bus , 32 track custom consoles and a 40 channel Quadraphonic-mixdown console ,with Neve's proprietary NECAM Computer controlled mixdown system.

(June 03 1978 pg 42)
DIR Programs include KBFH at 250 Stations , and Live From The Bottom Line at 90 Stations . These Broadcast s are mainly for the University Crowd.

Pg62
Atlanta IHF bows Audionics Of Oregon's production model of the Tate System SQ Decoder available in September at about $425.00.

July 08 1978 pg 23&44
SQ IN THE LEAD
Despite the absence of new 4 channel software there is still interest on the part of the public in FM Broadcasting Standardization with CBS'S SQ favored .
Out of 2569 responses to FCC July 77 Enquiry on FM Quadcasting conducted by the CBS Technology Center ,
374 came from broadcasters, and 2195 from others.
Ben Bauer says "We've been encouraged people to respond to the Enquiry and to vote for SQ with demonstrations and handouts . He notes " The NQRC has done the same thing for Discrete broadcasting. "
Bauer notes "500 Stations have SQ libraries supplied by CBS , permitting them to Quadcast without added equipment. Others have SQ Encoders to enhance their stereo libraries for Quadcasting , with more than 1,000 SQ titles now available.
Angel Records is now the only label producing SQ records on a regular basis.
CBS has Boulez conducts Stravinsky from February. RCA has Tomita Kosmos CD-4 , their first in over a year.
(But upcoming are special Q8'S for 79 Mercury/Lincoln models)
-GRT and Ampex sold off their entire Q8 inventory almost entirely.
A special booth at the AES November 77 in New York handled the distribution of the CBS survey form."

(August 12 1978 pg 27)
DIR Broadcasting has a newsletter known as "The Elast".
Pg 06 Enoch Light has passed away at age 71. ABC /Paramount acquired his Project 3 label , years prior.

Pg 98 Recommended albums , Boulez New York Philharmonic , Boulez conducts Pulchinella Suite Scherzo
Fantastique. Columbia M 35105 (SQ)

(November 11 1978 pg38)
Expose on Ken Rasek and The Unconcert Series on WXRT Chicago.
WXRT bows 6th year of Unconcert Series (many of which were in SQ)
Since October 73 , 250 local Concerts broadcast. There is a 2hour retrospective October 29th.

Page 42
Angel Records are being revamped in the U.S. as Fidelity on the associated disc's from England 🇬🇧 (EMI)are sounding far better than the U.S. pressings.
Patti Laursen producer in charge of quality control , emphasis will be on the new Wakefield manufacturing plant.
The entire Angel production chain was scrutinized at the insistence of Raul Montano head of Classical marketing.
This comes as a result of a visit to Abbey Road EMI for comparative listening . And in answer to the new audiophile albums being produced.

End 😉
-fizzy

Back