SQ MATRIX Various Information ( BILLBOARD 1972-1976 )

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fizzywiggs41

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
After delving through issues of Billboard Magazine from 72 through 76....I came up with the following Quad SQ tidbits.
Some very noteworthy facts on SQ , I M H O.
With the information presented here on this thread I'll provide the Billboard reference , ie ( MONTH , DAY , YEAR , and PAGE).

I'll try my best to keep them in historic date order , but if I'm out of order , but .sometimes it's a relevant grouping .

SQ DEBUTS

Sony introduced SQ albums in October 1971( Jan 25th 1975 ; 57)

CBS introduced SQ albums in the U.S. in November 1971 . And some SQ albums were outselling their stereo counterparts , such as Santana -Abraxis .(April 21st 1973 ; 12)

CBS Debuts SQ albums in the U.K. in February 1972 . These albums are first being pressed in Holland but later should be in the Aylesbury Plant in Britain. (April 07 ,1973 ; 54)

Japanese Quad SQ Albums are being released April 1972 in Japan. (August 11th 1973 ; 80)

Columbia/CBS are issuing two albums in Single Inventory : Bernstein's -Mass and Boulez -Bartok Concerto for Orchestra . (March 03rd 1973 ; 14&22)
Both Single Inventory Bernstein's Mass and Boulez -Bartok albums will now be available as Dual Inventory with the release of the stereo albums and separate Quads this November ,1973 ( Nov 17th 1973 ; 34)

Both Columbia/CBS Masterworks and Vanguard Records go Single Inventory SQ QUAD for 1976 .On May 15th 1976 for Columbia Masterworks the first album will be "My Fair Lady" and starting sometime in July 1976 , there will be selected titles for Vanguard Records .
Vanguard S I Information(July 10th 1976 ; 39&59)
Columbia Masterworks information (May 15th 1976 ; 01&63)

Quadraphonic cassettes going to be introduced in the U.K.by CBS/Columbia (November 10 ,1973 ; 70)

Angel debuts first SQ albums . (December 14, 1974 ; 03)

SQ OHR Music Productions : Hanza a Berlin subsidiary.
"There has been considerable International success with Tangerine Dream , Ash Ra Tempel , and Klaus 'Quadro'
Schulze ". All the quadraphonic albums from the German labels OHR , Pilz , and Kosmiche Kuriere .
(June 16 ,1973 ; 67)

EMI/Electrola Germany have introduced albums in SQ by : John Lennon , Heino , Deep Purple , Hugo Strasser , Helmut Zacharias , Barry Lipman and Adamo . (July 01 1972 : 48)

Meloydia Records : Soviets recording in 4 Channel now.
This according to EMI/Capitol (SQ?) (November 25th 1972 ; 03)

CBS/Columbia's SQ Quad Record Catalogue 72/73 contains 200 titles from 16 International labels ...according to
Joe Dash of CBS.

SQ/CD-4 :
Columbia Recording Studios New York N.Y. adds a CD-4 Mastering Room in addition to their SQ Mastering Room.
CBS/Colombia can now supply SQ Encoding at 5 CBS Studios locations in the U.S.
(December 14th 1974 ; 20 ,43 &48)

CBS unveils Advanced SQ Decoders ; L1A , L2A , L3A and Tate DES , at the CBS Demonstration Show for new quad development. (January 11th 1975 ; 51)

Suzy Records , Yugoslavia goes SQ with the labels first quadraphonic record. (January 25th 1975 ; 55)

SQ and CD-4 test records have been made by Polydor who've been making 4 channel recordings for some time now at Polygram's Soleveld Record Plant . Polydor is still undecided at this time about which system to choose. In the
meantine they're storing Quad tapes until conditions are right for these Quadraphonic albums eventual release.
(May 26th 1973 ; 64)

SQ in Yugoslavia , Juguton is releaing EMI SQ titles such as : John Keating -Space Experience and other popular recordings.
(May 03 ,1975 ; 53)

Czech a Slovakia :
- Both Panton Records and Supraphon Records are recording in quad using SQ matrix for their albums . The Quad Hardware is being supplied by Tesla Electronics . (May 03rd 1975 ; 45)

Sony's SQ album Santana - Lotus is the best selling album at Yamaha Music Stores in Japan
(June 29th 1974 ; 73)

Capitol Canada is importing SQ albums from EMI U.K. , such as Pink Floyd's Atom Heart Mother and The Dark Side Of The Moon amongst others. In addition Capitol Canada is pressing the SQ albums for Mandingo and John Keating.
(August 03rd 1974 ; 72)

Capitol Canada releasing SQ quad product . First up are John Keating -Hits In HiFi , and Mandingo , A Story Of Survival. They will also be distributing Vanguard SQ albums.
(August 10th 1974 ; 67)

Delos Records has recorded n quad and encoded in SQ , 14 albums of Bach's Organ Works for eventual release. On April 01 1976 , will see the release of four of these albums. (March 06 1976 ; 48)

Meloydia Records Russia are making quadraphonic recordings for release on EMI/Capitol Records for SQ releases on Capitol and EMI Records . (November 17th 1973 ; 06)

SQ and (QS) recordings both tried and tested at Electra Sound Studios according to Jac Holzman . Electra Sound Studios does recordings for the Atlantic Record label in addition to Electra Records.
(July 01 1972 ; 68)

SQ cassettes on the BASF label Germany , are being distributed in the U.K. (September 27th 1975 ; 90)

SQ XDR cassettes are available from Angel Records since last September 1975. (May 08 1976 ; 46)

TATE DES (SQ) unveiled at Chicago CES , on hand with Wilcox I.C. , and Ruggles/Bogue.
The Decoder has 40 dbs Front to Back separation. (June 22 1974 ; 01 & 54)

Lynn Olson and Charles Wood of Audionics showcase the Shadow Vector SQ Decoder.
Recordings tested in quad include popular SQ encoded songs/albums on Columbia Records and one song by
10 CC 's -The Original Soundtrack-called "The Same Night In Paris" , used by the SQ Audionics Decoder to demonstrate excellent localization .
(June 21st 1975 ; 03 & 67)

Highlights at the Winter CES include two advanced SQ Decoders .
The SQ TATE DES and The SQ Shadow Vector .(January 10th 1976 ; 66)

SQ Growth on Record Labels : There are 30 Software Companies worldwide , Germany now has 4 SQ Software Companies.
Both Motorola and Fairchild making Professional SQ I.C. Chips .and CBS is servicing 300 FM Stations with SQ material . Columbia Records supply Top Gold Albums such as Edgar Winter - They Only Come Out At Night , and Santana - Abraxis .

Art Garfunkel's SQ Single "All I Know" is being sent by Columbia Records to FM Stations. (October 27 ,1973 ; 90)

EMI 's first SQ quad Meloydia album to be , Katcharian's "Spartacus" recorded at The London Colisseum .
(August 03rd 1974 ; 30)

Peter Scheiber seeks to broaden the CBS SQ license for quad . (October 04 , 1975 ; 44)

The single inventory SQ album "Three Penny Opera" PS 34326 has just been released. (December 04 ,1976 ; 96)

The SQ Encoding handbook , 44 pages , is out now for interested Audio Engineers . (December 04 1976 ; 29)

Popular Recordings Studios with SQ Encoders :

Columbia/CBS Recording Studios (five in the U.S)
Bell Sound Labs , New York N Y. (also QS)
Kendun , Burbank California
Angel City , Los Angeles , Ca.(also QS)
A&M Studios , Hollywood
Elite Reordings New York N .Y. (also QS)

Europe

EMI Abbey Road
Dierks Studios Cologne , and Stommeln
Eurodisc/Ariola
Dureco Studios , Holland

It's funny seeing this all laid out the way you did, @fizzywiggs41. Makes SQ look solid and being distributed very well. (I did find it odd that CBS added a CD-4 Mastering Room, as reported in the Dec '74 issue. Why? 🤔). SQ singles, SQ cassettes, radio station servicing, single inventory releases, various companies getting ready to decide, (like Polydor.)

Sad that it all dwindled to zero. 😥

It's funny seeing this all laid out the way you did, @fizzywiggs41. Makes SQ look solid and being distributed very well. (I did find it odd that CBS added a CD-4 Mastering Room, as reported in the Dec '74 issue. Why? 🤔). SQ singles, SQ cassettes, radio station servicing, single inventory releases, various companies getting ready to decide, (like Polydor.)

Sad that it all dwindled to zero. 😥
Polydor actually did have at least two quad releases that I know of, neither of which were identified as quad on the cover or label. There was the soundtrack album for the movie "Tommy", and a James Last album, "Voodoo Party", which was released in Germany. I have both, and they sound quite good through the Surround Master.

Polydor actually did have at least two quad releases that I know of, neither of which were identified as quad on the cover or label. There was the soundtrack album for the movie "Tommy", and a James Last album, "Voodoo Party", which was released in Germany. I have both, and they sound quite good through the Surround Master.
Not familiar with James (aka Hans) Last; according to discogs a German big band leader and apparently very prolific with his recordings around 1970. So have you tried any of his other Polydor releases from that era; and what tipped you off that “Voodoo Party” was Quad?

Not familiar with James (aka Hans) Last; according to discogs a German big band leader and apparently very prolific with his recordings around 1970. So have you tried any of his other Polydor releases from that era; and what tipped you off that “Voodoo Party” was[Quad? /QUOTE] I'm a fan of Hansi's music, and this album was listed in the quad releases directory (damned if I can recall who compiled it) that we all frequently refer to. Played through the SM, it's clearly encoded. Until Polydor released some compilations of his music, using their AMSI process, none of his other albums were ever released in surround. The AMSI CD's sound excellent through the SM.

I'm a fan of Hansi's music, and this album was listed in the quad releases directory (damned if I can recall who compiled it) that we all frequently refer to. Played through the SM, it's clearly encoded. Until Polydor released some compilations of his music, using their AMSI process, none of his other albums were ever released in surround. The AMSI CD's sound excellent through the SM.
It's in Mark Anderson's wonderful Quadraphonic Discography on this page (he apparently has some Q8's also):
*edit- but it says QS not SQ
http://www.surrounddiscography.com/quaddisc/quadpall.htm
JAMES LAST -
Beach Party 5. Polydor Q3811 250 (Q8) [Canada]
Happy Hammond. Polydor Q3811 194 (Q8) [Canada]
Non Stop Dancing 1974. Polydor Q3811 228 (Q8) [Canada]
Non Stop Dancing 2. Polydor Q3811 246 (Q8) [Canada], Polydor #unknown
(Q8) [Germany]
Voodoo Party. Polydor 2371235 (QS) [Germany] {Unmarked Quad}

Back