SQ/QS Matrix Decoding Software

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no prob. just figured I'd mention it, as many of the scripts that have been floating around in the last few years made use of it. Also, with the older versions of Audition, I think people avoided the built in phase shifter as it wasn't the cleanest sounding thing. I expect that has been improved a lot in subsequent versions of Audition.

Audition is very well capable of applying a 90 (or any other) degrees phase shift. I don't know what Phasebug can add to that.
Arconada,

You've got me thinking that maybe I should check out a newer version of Audition. There are some aspects of the CCE in Audition 3 that I wish were better. Maybe the newer versions sound different in that respect. At the moment, I can't seem to find a downloadable version of CS6 that works longer than the 30 day trial period. Then the current versions need a higher resolution monitor than I have at the moment. Doh.

Last edited:
Arconada,

You've got me thinking that maybe I should check out a newer version of Audition. There are some aspects of the CCE in Audition 3 that I wish were better. Maybe the newer versions sound different in that respect. At the moment, I can't seem to find a downloadable version of CS6 that works longer than the 30 day trial period. Then the current versions need a higher resolution monitor than I have at the moment. Doh.

Hi Everyone.

I saw this thread come across and thought maybe you would be interested in the QS plugin that Brett Buddin and I made with a collective of engineers and artists through dublab and supported in part by the National Endowment for the Arts. This collective includes guidance and inspiration from Suzanne Ciani, Quad Bob Herndon, Odaka Shuichi, Richard Brice, Bernie Grundman, Beno May, Scott Sedillo and though we haven't quite figured out how to integrate Involve's flavor of QS yet, David and Charlie over there were especially helpful in us getting our head around the most important AES paper by Ryosuke Ito, Susumu Takahashi and Kouichi Hirano.

We call it QUARK (Quadraphonic Universally Accessible Resource Kit). It's 100% free. It is made as Mac VST3, AU and AAX versions only. Tested in ProTools, Reaper and Ableton Live. I'm hoping to put up some instructional videos in the coming months since Quad creation workflows are pretty funky, especially in Ableton Live. Reaper has been helpful for the development and testing of the parameters of the plugin.

you can download it here: QUARK

it encodes and decodes QS in realtime, developed for people to make new quad work for release but I'm sure that it will help for these other purposes too.

I'm very much seeped in another project of mine called PHONOCUT and can't do much technical support beyond what we have on the site. It's pretty self explanatory but like I said, I hope to make some videos soon. Thank you for the patience, if it takes me a while to reply via my website for any questions.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone.

I saw this thread come across and thought maybe you would be interested in the QS plugin that Brett Buddin and I made with a collective of engineers and artists through dublab and supported in part by the National Endowment for the Arts. This collective includes guidance and inspiration from Suzanne Ciani, Quad Bob Herndon, Odaka Shuichi, Richard Brice, Bernie Grundman, Beno May, Scott Sedillo and though we haven't quite figured out how to integrate Involve's flavor of QS yet, David and Charlie over there were especially helpful in us getting our head around the most important AES paper by Ryosuke Ito, Susumu Takahashi and Kouichi Hirano.

We call it QUARK (Quadraphonic Universally Accessible Resource Kit). It's 100% free. It is made as Mac VST3, AU and AAX versions only. Tested in ProTools, Reaper and Ableton Live. I'm hoping to put up some instructional videos in the coming months since Quad creation workflows are pretty funky, especially in Ableton Live. Reaper has been helpful for the development and testing of the parameters of the plugin.

it encodes and decodes QS in realtime, developed for people to make new quad work for release but I'm sure that it will help for these other purposes too.

I'm very much seeped in another project of mine called PHONOCUT and can't do much technical support beyond what we have on the site. It's pretty self explanatory but like I said, I hope to make some videos soon. Thank you for the patience, if it takes me a while to reply via my website for any questions.

How long do you figure before a Win ver is ready?

no windows yet.JPG

Hi Everyone.

Hello Everyone, with a grant from the National Endowment for the Arts and dublab we just did a national call for NEW quadraphonic work. If you make music or know people who do we would love to hear your work. There are lots of incredible people involved too:

#MakeMusicinSpace at http://QUARK.CyKiK.com with dublab's national call for your #quadraphonic work reviewed by Suzanne Ciani, Laura Escudé, Laraaji, Craig Leon, and Timeboy. The chosen applicant receives a $500 honorarium & creative tools from Ableton, The Cargo Cult, FabFilter, Focusrite, iZotope, Moog Music Inc., Output, Pioneer DJ, Spitfire Audio, The Transmute Academy. Made possible by a grant from the National Endowment for the Arts.

Kamranv,

Nice tool. I haven't used it to encode but the decoder is quite nice. I will do some serious listening once I get back home. Is there any plan of adding SQ encode/decode to this plugin? Would this be of interest to your team?

Blaine

If you do something simple like google SQ/QS decoding software for Mac you find this:

Stereo Lab - Quadraphonics and Ambisonics

As mentioned on QQ many times.

I ended up purchasing Stereo Lab Audiophile. It was worth the money. I sold a couple of things on eBay and just used the PayPal funds to purchase the licence. It is way easy to use. I assume using the Adobe Audition script is probably a bit more cumbersome in comparison. It may seem idiotic to purchase this software since I already own a Surround Master V2. I just want to see what some of my CDs that I have of recordings from the 70s that are SQ encoded look like in discrete waveforms for kicks and grins. Thanks for the tip!

I ended up purchasing Stereo Lab Audiophile. It was worth the money. I sold a couple of things on eBay and just used the PayPal funds to purchase the licence. It is way easy to use. I assume using the Adobe Audition script is probably a bit more cumbersome in comparison. It may seem idiotic to purchase this software since I already own a Surround Master V2. I just want to see what some of my CDs that I have of recordings from the 70s that are SQ encoded look like in discrete waveforms for kicks and grins. Thanks for the tip!
Have fun! Looking forward to your compsrison with the SM v2!

Have fun! Looking forward to your compsrison with the SM v2!

I've done it already. So far I will say that they are nearly identical, the only difference is that with the multi-channel Stereo Lab wave files I can see what they look like. That is nice. I still like having the SM v2 because it is simply "plug and play" right out of the box...

...I assume using the Adobe Audition script is probably a bit more cumbersome in comparison. It may seem idiotic to purchase this software since I already own a Surround Master V2.
You're quite right,you should choose the product that suites you and if you are interested in SQ/QS it suffices, I suppose. I have a subscription to Adobe Audition, nowadays with Favorites, not Scripts, and it works for me because I like to adjust the decoding to the material on hand. Mostly that is just stereo, but I upmix it to 5.0 channels. When the stereo balance is well made, the surround balance is most of the times ok, but you will have to tweak the decoding to make it just right. For me Audition is the right thing.

You're quite right,you should choose the product that suites you and if you are interested in SQ/QS it suffices, I suppose. I have a subscription to Adobe Audition, nowadays with Favorites, not Scripts, and it works for me because I like to adjust the decoding to the material on hand. Mostly that is just stereo, but I upmix it to 5.0 channels. When the stereo balance is well made, the surround balance is most of the times ok, but you will have to tweak the decoding to make it just right. For me Audition is the right thing.

Stereo Lab Audiophile gives you the option to "upmix". I haven't done it yet however I may try it out soon to see what I get and what it sounds like.

Stereo Lab Options.png

Kamranv,

Nice tool. I haven't used it to encode but the decoder is quite nice. I will do some serious listening once I get back home. Is there any plan of adding SQ encode/decode to this plugin? Would this be of interest to your team?

Blaine

Thx for the kind words and suggestion however there are no plans for SQ. QUARK is primarily made as a music creation tool and QS is our format choice. For SQ (and other) Stereo Lab would also be my suggestion.

Hello Everyone, with a grant from the National Endowment for the Arts and dublab we just did a national call for NEW quadraphonic work. If you make music or know people who do we would love to hear your work. There are lots of incredible people involved too:

#MakeMusicinSpace at http://QUARK.CyKiK.com with dublab's national call for your #quadraphonic work reviewed by Suzanne Ciani, Laura Escudé, Laraaji, Craig Leon, and Timeboy. The chosen applicant receives a $500 honorarium & creative tools from Ableton, The Cargo Cult, FabFilter, Focusrite, iZotope, Moog Music Inc., Output, Pioneer DJ, Spitfire Audio, The Transmute Academy. Made possible by a grant from the National Endowment for the Arts.

It seems there are 3 submissions so far.

It was cool I could make one.

I wonder is there is a way to listen to any quark encoded audio and have it decoded on the fly, may be using a tool like Audio Hijack or this opensource tool (with code on github)?

It seems there are 3 submissions so far.

It was cool I could make one.

I wonder is there is a way to listen to any quark encoded audio and have it decoded on the fly, may be using a tool like Audio Hijack or this opensource tool (with code on github)?

Thx for making one!

Regarding listening on the fly with audio hijack, we actually emailed them with the very same idea (they actually have several pieces of software that could potentially decode on the fly with the QUARK plugin) but sadly their software is exclusively in stereo with no solid plans for multi-channel audio. Generally, we would love to build QUARK into all kinds of potential areas such as apps, cars (Tesla is ready made) and smart speakers. If you know any folks into this stuff. We would love to collaborate.

Back