SQ/QS Matrix Decoding Software

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thx for making one!

Regarding listening on the fly with audio hijack, we actually emailed them with the very same idea (they actually have several pieces of software that could potentially decode on the fly with the QUARK plugin) but sadly their software is exclusively in stereo with no solid plans for multi-channel audio. Generally, we would love to build QUARK into all kinds of potential areas such as apps, cars (Tesla is ready made) and smart speakers. If you know any folks into this stuff. We would love to collaborate.
I was looking at Blackhole on github, and there is a feature request to add AU plugins, may be this is an avenue, as the code is open? I think the old winamp used to take VSTs...

You can use Fission->Soundflower->your AU host.

Were you able to get this to work? I'm not sure if I fully understand. What I'm hoping for is for non-audio engineer folks to be able to use any audio player like Spotify, iTunes, Google Chrome to route through something like blackhole/loopback to take the 2 channel stream, run through plugin, and then push out to a simple audio interface with 4 channels. Of course, it's always possible to use a standard DAW (Reaper, ProTools, Ableton Live) to do the same thing however it's overkill and too complicated for many... so if you have a way to do this, it would be great to understand it better and share with folks.

Thx for the kind words and suggestion however there are no plans for SQ. QUARK is primarily made as a music creation tool and QS is our format choice. For SQ (and other) Stereo Lab would also be my suggestion.

The new version of QUARK is even better. I can also use it with my new subscription to Adobe Audition. I was using it in Ableton Live 10 but when I updated the software, Live 10 is no longer useful for my recording needs. My collaborator and I do long recordings. In Live 10 crackling and warbling happen at random places throughout the recording. I tried everything they suggested on the website to no avail. I demoed Adobe Audition, no audio problems whatsoever. I hate Live 10 is unreliable for long recording sessions. My solution is importing my Audition recordings into Ableton Live 10 and use whatever effects I like in Live 10 and "overdub" there.

I emailed the Blackhole dude. Maybe something can come of it. Thx for pointing it out.
I also checked Soundflower on github and briefly spoke with Matt Ingalls in another forum. He was the original coder, and then he handed it over for several years. He recently came back to manage the site/repo... He is not really making any work on it. However he is active in the San Francisco experimental music scene. So here is another avenue.

Were you able to get this to work? I'm not sure if I fully understand. What I'm hoping for is for non-audio engineer folks to be able to use any audio player like Spotify, iTunes, Google Chrome to route through something like blackhole/loopback to take the 2 channel stream, run through plugin, and then push out to a simple audio interface with 4 channels. Of course, it's always possible to use a standard DAW (Reaper, ProTools, Ableton Live) to do the same thing however it's overkill and too complicated for many... so if you have a way to do this, it would be great to understand it better and share with folks.

Let me see if I can do this too... I will report back if it is possible.

Using Audacity and Loopback, here is what I did. I will note, when I did this, all I heard was a loud "buzz" until I disabled it. Maybe someone out there can figure out a way to fix it. I don't see an option either in Loopback...

Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 6.02.25 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 6.03.26 PM.png

Last edited:

I looked into iTunes and such but they don't have the option to use "plug-ins". But free software like Audacity does. Download Audacity, load your file and download QUARK. But I have to cavet that when I did this, all I heard when I applied QUARK, was a loud "buzz" BTW, great work on the new version, it is a tool that I use a lot. I will note that I own hardware that will in incode as I record that Involve Audio sent me for free. I have used both methods and both ways are basically identical.

Last edited:
Yes, this works very well. First download SoundFlower. Rogue Amoeba has a link to it, if I remember. Set up a SoundFlower device that has two input and two output channels. Set up Fission (or whatever you use for playback) to output to SoundFlower.
Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 7.46.16 PM.png

Now get your AU host (the easiest is JUCE AudioPluginHost - free) and set the input for SoundFlower and the output to your four-channel device.
Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 7.45.04 PM.png

Next, load the QUARK plugin and set it for decode. Wire it up.
Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 7.54.49 PM.png

Start playback.

Good luck.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 7.46.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 7.46.37 PM.png
    211.9 KB · Views: 195
Yes, this works very well. First download SoundFlower. Rogue Amoeba has a link to it, if I remember. Set up a SoundFlower device that has two input and two output channels. Set up Fission (or whatever you use for playback) to output to SoundFlower. View attachment 62621
Now get your AU host (the easiest is JUCE AudioPluginHost - free) and set the input for SoundFlower and the output to your four-channel device. View attachment 62623
View attachment 62624
Start playback.

Good luck.

What I did above didn't work. I will try this...

My submission to the QUARK contest:

What we used:

Ultamahtoola collaborated and at first improvised for about 10 minutes using the Mackie Onyx 1220i firewire mixer and my MacBook Pro (early 2011) along with the following equipment: Compact Phasing X (Van Daal Electronics), KOMA Elektronik Poltergeist Analog Quadraphonic Audio Mixer / Panner / VCA, Synthi ‘A’ mk1 (modified), Intellijel Quadra, Strymon Volante, ARP OMNI, ARP SOLUS, Dunlop Echoplex and Strymon Deco. As I recorded, the QUARK plug-in was being used. I then took the recording and shortened it to meet the time requirement. Using my microphone I recorded a single breath and pasted it till the end of the edited recording.

My submission to the QUARK contest:

What we used:

Ultamahtoola collaborated and at first improvised for about 10 minutes using the Mackie Onyx 1220i firewire mixer and my MacBook Pro (early 2011) along with the following equipment: Compact Phasing X (Van Daal Electronics), KOMA Elektronik Poltergeist Analog Quadraphonic Audio Mixer / Panner / VCA, Synthi ‘A’ mk1 (modified), Intellijel Quadra, Strymon Volante, ARP OMNI, ARP SOLUS, Dunlop Echoplex and Strymon Deco. As I recorded, the QUARK plug-in was being used. I then took the recording and shortened it to meet the time requirement. Using my microphone I recorded a single breath and pasted it till the end of the edited recording.

I could swear this almost sounds like surround sitting at my computer 😲

Yes, this works very well. First download SoundFlower. Rogue Amoeba has a link to it, if I remember. Set up a SoundFlower device that has two input and two output channels. Set up Fission (or whatever you use for playback) to output to SoundFlower.
Now get your AU host (the easiest is JUCE AudioPluginHost - free) and set the input for SoundFlower and the output to your four-channel device.
Start playback.

Good luck.
So I followed these instructions and found them a bit hard for a novice, so I made a tutorial about it.

I was able to listen to all the entries on Soundcloud very easily after this.

Thanks @BJMarsh for figuring it out and thanks @kamranv for the Quark plugin, I hope this video helps more people enjoy quadraphonics.

So I followed these instructions and found them a bit hard for a novice, so I made a tutorial about it.

I was able to listen to all the entries on Soundcloud very easily after this.

Thanks @BJMarsh for figuring it out and thanks @kamranv for the Quark plugin, I hope this video helps more people enjoy quadraphonics.

Nice work! This video is great. I made an FAQ on the QUARK site with a download of the compiled version of the app and your video. How can I listen in quad? - QUARK

Nice work! This video is great. I made an FAQ on the QUARK site with a download of the compiled version of the app and your video. How can I listen in quad? - QUARK
That's awesome, thanks.

I'm releasing this video at 11:30am PST today as a Premiere, which is the full performance of my entry to the competition and is quark encoded, so with the tutorial, we now have quad on youtube!

I'm trying to also do a demo of the new quadraphonics Shakmat modules in quark encoding, so you can listen to what they do.

In the past I have used a binaural encoder plugin to release quad into stereo, but it seems this quark encoder has got some binaural like feeling as some people told me.

Back