SQ: Scheiber-Fosgate DSM-3608

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wagonmaster_91

701 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
(Not really a SQ decoder, but it is closer to that than any of the other categories for this section of the forum.)

The Scheiber-Fosgate DSM-3608

Rarity - Uncommon - These don't come up quite as often as the other 3600 line units, but often enough that if you want one you won't have to search very long.

Average price - $20 - $100
I got mine for 1 cent plus $20 shipping.(y)

IMG_8564.JPG

The 3608 suffers the "middle child" syndrome in the 3600 series of 360 Space Matrix surround processors. The Model Four and 3610 usually get all the attention when discussing "less than Tate" Fosgate Audionics decoders, but the 3608 deserves some merit.

Tape Monitor, Logic and Center Channel switches
IMG_8573.JPG

Mono Enhancement and Sound Stage Width selectors next to the Dialog, Surround, IR Sensor and Input Level indicators.
IMG_8568.JPG

Input Level, Input Balance, Bass EQ and Surround Channels Delay controls.
IMG_8565.JPG

Main and Tape Inputs, 5.1 outputs and note that the 3608 has internal amplification for the rear channels if you need them.
IMG_8579.JPG

Clean and impressive internal layout.
IMG_8583.JPG

And, in case you forget, designed by three guys whose names you may be familiar with if you hang out at QQ very often.
IMG_8586.JPG

The DSM-3608 was king of the hill at FA...until the 3610 made everyone forget about it.

He is a member here, or he used to be (he hasn't posted for almost 3 years). Bob repaired and recapped my Fosgate Tate II decoder, and he is a really nice guy too.

I once had 2 failing fosgate 101a units, failed on different Tate chips. Bob Popham was able to use the parts to make one working 101a. Agree, nice guy.

I got mine for US$51 on eBay, and it didn't work properly when I got it. I talked to Bob on the phone (he was in Colorado at the time) and he told me to send it to him. One of the Tate chips was bad, but he had a donor unit with the part I needed. He fixed it, recapped it, and returned it to me … and the whole thing with shipping, repairs and upgrades cost me a lot less than the usual eBay prices. It is still working great.

Back