SQ Shadow Vector Soundfield Mapping

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have now perfected SV decoding of the strange H and BHJ locus. I suspect the BBC never got close to decoding their own weird system with any accuracy, even in the digital domain its not easy.

What is BHJ? I know about the HJ matrix but I've never heard of BHJ.

OK it's the 2 channel matrix version of UHJ. I've heard decodes of that before rendered ambisonically, and when it works the listening experience is sublime. The speakers just vanish, they cannot be identified as point sources. Most or all of the ones I have heard were Nimbus releases (I think Nimbus is the name).

A few days ago I noted one of the Surround Master tests was a tough one involving 4 simultaneous tones, one for each channel. Even though the SV decoder is now moving into production it seemed a very interesting test to perform. The test tone generator has now been updated to include this '4 corner' test. Instructions to use can be found in the zip.

Attachments

• TestToneWaveGenV031.zip
    39.1 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Here are the test results. I've used the same tone frequencies as used by Involve, i.e. LF=200Hz RF=1.5kHz, LB=5kHz and RB=600Hz.

Attachments

• LF 200Hz.png
    LF 200Hz.png
    19.8 KB · Views: 22
  • RF 1.5kHz.png
    RF 1.5kHz.png
    21.1 KB · Views: 25
  • LB 5kHz.png
    LB 5kHz.png
    21.3 KB · Views: 21
  • RB 600Hz.png
    RB 600Hz.png
    19.9 KB · Views: 20
Well as most well know this chip shortage is a real pain and costs/availability will reflect this. However I'm pretty sure first units can be shipped by the end of this year. I'll have a better idea of costs once I've gone through production quotes. I'm putting together a finalized specification and will release this in the next few days.

Last edited:
Here are the test results. I've used the same tone frequencies as used by Involve, i.e. LF=200Hz RF=1.5kHz, LB=5kHz and RB=600Hz.
Can you expand the X axis please? Over 75% of it is unused, and all the useful data is squashed together at the left hand side.

Last edited:
As requested with expanded x axis.

Attachments

• LF 200Hz 2.png
    LF 200Hz 2.png
    14.9 KB · Views: 24
  • RF 1.5kHz 2.png
    RF 1.5kHz 2.png
    14.4 KB · Views: 32
  • LB 5kHz 2.png
    LB 5kHz 2.png
    14.9 KB · Views: 26
  • RB 600Hz 2.png
    RB 600Hz 2.png
    15.4 KB · Views: 21
And just out of interest, the QS encoded Lt and Rt channels.

Attachments

• Lt Encode.png
    Lt Encode.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Rt Encode.png
    Rt Encode.png
    15.4 KB · Views: 22
Well as most well know this chip shortage is a real pain and costs/availability will reflect this. However I'm pretty sure first units can be shipped by the end of this year. I'll have a better idea of costs once I've gone through production quotes. I'm putting together a finalized specification and will release this in the next few days.

BJMarsh, post: 629233, member: 2930"]
Excellent, Malcom. Keep me updated on your progress. When do you expect production units? Target price?
[/QUOTE]
Soundfield, post: 629234, member: 6638"]
Quite the throw away line there Malcolm! Any details you'd like to share?
[/QUOTE]
Ditto

Anything new to report? I hope things are going well, but it’s been several months since an update.

Back