SQ Shadow Vector Soundfield Mapping

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I see nothing from Malcolm since May this year . Considering the real availability of the Surround Master for both SQ n QS, what does he have to offer?
Not wishing to re-open previous arguments. But if you agree with some analyses of what Surround Master does for decodes, you might want shadow vector to have something that does the decode correctly.

I know matrix quad is a niche market, so I don’t expect a lot of competition in the field, but having choices isn’t a bad thing.
I totally agree with you. Having choices is a good thing. But right now the only choice is between some ancient creaky vintage SQ decoder or the Surround Master.

It has been 2 years (!) since this thread started and if nothing else it's also been a very worthwhile read. Lynn Olson's comments are like gold to me. But it's also been 7 months since Malcolm posted and even before that he spoke of the project in pre-production. Which is another way of saying it's not in production yet.

I recognize the challenges & have a great deal of respect for an individual to bring a passion from idea to product. One the best examples in our little world is the Wurlyscope. But I don't see the same progress on the SV decoding project.

I have done extensive bench testing on the Surround Master and of course mucho listening time & I accept that it decodes SQ & QS accurately & artifact free. There would have to be some feature or concept beyond that to make me think I need another SQ only decoder.

Not wishing to re-open previous arguments. But if you agree with some analyses of what Surround Master does for decodes, you might want shadow vector to have something that does the decode correctly.
Hard to understand exactly what OD was rambling on about. I would think that there Is a major difference between decoding on the fly and software based decoding. I would argue that you can better "cheat" using software. The center channel extraction process used in Audition and other audio editor programs has no analogue equivalent. To say that the Involve approach is "wrong" would be far from correct. To say however that perhaps things might be done a bit better is fair game.

I have done extensive bench testing on the Surround Master and of course mucho listening time & I accept that it decodes SQ & QS accurately & artifact free. There would have to be some feature or concept beyond that to make me think I need another SQ only decoder.
I would only know how to test a decoder if I knew what the original tapes sounded like, and I don't have access to them, so I'll have to defer to those who have more data than I. My only real experience with quad decoding is in my own rooms, starting with my bachelor pad in the early 1970s and a Sony SQD-1000, followed by a Tate bought through ebay. I almost always enjoyed the experience, but whether anything was "accurate" or not would have been pure guesswork on my part. As I noted in other threads, I figure I have a SM in my future.

One of the best tests is doing an instant a/b from the original discrete to a QS (or SQ) encode/decode and see if you can spot a difference.
I suspect the problem Malcolm is having is related to the world electronic chip shortage, particularly related to Voltage regulator chips........ It's caused us around 8 board redesigns in various projects. The dsp Bitch is using in the preamp has jumped from $10 to $300 if you can get it

We had an FPGA go end of life at work, with no last time buy option (usually you get one, which lets you stock up on a year or two's supply). We changed the design to use a much newer one, and were part way through testing when another smaller FPGA on the same board went end of life. It's a total nightmare at the moment.

Still nothing from Malcolm? Has he deleted his account (no 'last seen' info showing may suggest as much) -which would be sad. I note that his own website hasn't been updated since 2017. Curious. Hope he is well.

Still nothing from Malcolm? Has he deleted his account (no 'last seen' info showing may suggest as much) -which would be sad. I note that his own website hasn't been updated since 2017. Curious. Hope he is well.

You have to be logged in to see the 'Last seen'. He has not deleted his account. Let's just hope he's been busy

malcolm.jpg

I am logged in Jon & I can see the last seen info on other members, but there is none shown for Malcolm.
Must be a bug I don't see it either, or for you!

It must be a rights thing as I can see it for all of you. As you all know, that's not my thing anymore. I thought maybe it was a feature for QQ Supporters, but if DuncanS can't see it, then I am not sure. I am no longer able to get into the database and see stuff I used to be able to do when I ran the place. No big deal for me, but I can't answer your question about this. Sorry

For those that are concerned, wouldn't a PM that would be copied to his
e mail be a good approach? Or is there contact info on his web site?
Malcolm doesn't have PMs enabled on this site, I wanted to PM him at a point in the past but the button isn't there and I can see it for other uses and indeed have sent PMs.

Are there "people finder" websites for UK residents (there are several for USA residents)?

Maybe someone could write him an old fashioned actual paper letter asking what he's been up to lately.

Kirk Bayne

Back