SRS Circle Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obbop

600 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
I have touted the SRS system on this board. I have an early version that I run my CD players into then run the Circle Surround's output (2 channels) into my 9001 so that the Vario-Matrix can work on the output.

I have been very satisfied with the results. The three controls on the SRS unit allows me to tailor the sound in many ways. It is great fun experimenting with each song played.

I consider the what, $26 bucks paid for it on eBay (I forget the exact amount) the best audio investment I have made.

Here is a review of a different Circle Surround unit that I found interesting:

emusician.com/ar/emusic_srs_labs_pro/

And.... the Pro 220 is on sale for $99 with free shipping. Follow this link:

www.srs-store.com/store/m...owSale.asp

My unit is different but the controls appear to be very similar though my unit lacks the mono controls.

Reading the info I do not see where they mention inputting a CD as an audio source. Other sources are mentioned so I see know reason why this unit can't be used as I have used mine.

For those wanting to enhance their quad experience I believe these Circle Surround units are an excellent way to achieve that goal at a reasonable price and via new equipment that doesn't have the problems so many older true quad era units possess.

Of course, your mileage may vary depending upon your system. My QRX-9001 and two inputted CD players accept the Circle Surround output with no discernable audo problems.

By golly gosh I noticed it before and use it but have never thought of mentioning it here.

"Mention what?" I can hear the assembled multitude mutter.

Well, Windows Media Player version 7.0 includes the SRS WOW program that is akin to the Circle Surround units. There is a difference, though. The effects I receive with my CS unit are far more intense than the effects produced by the WOW circuitry in the Media player.

My computer's audio output runis into a new Technics 100 watt per channel stereo receiver with a Sony SQA-2030 decoder/amplifier patched into the tape jacks. Thus, I obtain synthesized quad via either SQ or RM. I have noticed that the WOW system enhances the synthesizing of a quad sound from the stereo source.

Maybe you can use the WOW system in Media player to ascertain the system's capabilities.

Enjoy!!!

Hey my amp has Circle Surround II
It's great at getting 5.1 out of stereo
bright with good seperation

The Wow technology is another patented system by SRS and is not the same as Circle Suround. Visit their website at www.srslabs.com for specs.

Have also been a longtime fan of CS. Speaking of mileage - I've had the auto CS unit installed in my Camry for years. At one point it was offered by the former manufacturer for only $99. Terrific surround from all sorts of 2 channel sources including old cassettes and binaural recordings. Creates a great center channel middle of the dashboard without a speaker there.
Now there are similar ProLogic II units for cars. Would like to compare the them with the new CS II, since I'm very impressed with PLII in my home system.

Back