HiRez Poll Staind - 14 SHADES OF GREY [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Staind - 14 SHADES OF GREY

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this title - (y) :phones (n)

Unfortunately, this is one of the poorest DVD-A's I have because of the surround mix.

It sounds like a non-discrete mix, although it is. The backing vocals are almost the only element which are great in the rears.

But maybe the mix itself is not the culprit. The music was not the ideal type for surround treatment. I wonder what Elliot Scheiner himself could have done.

The definition and fidelity are great anyway, and I prefer to listen to the album in PCM stereo.

This is just a showcase that not every album are good for surround. Some are just way better in stereo.

Just so unutterably AWFUL.
From the music (if you can call it that), to the surround mix (if you can call it that).. just everything is so dreadful about this...
(just like the Paul Simon DVDA, although totally unlike the PS and for completely different reasons.. I GAVE it away!)

I gave it a begrudging "3" some time ago on here.
Now I'd probably give it "1" or "2" and that'd be kind.

Total ear rape in every way, just shocking.

Great album RUINED by horrible mastering. Loud as hell: zero dynamics.

The actual 5.1 mix is just o.k but you can't turn it up and enjoy due to the compression.

Unfortunately, this is one of the poorest DVD-A's I have because of the surround mix.

It sounds like a non-discrete mix, although it is. The backing vocals are almost the only element which are great in the rears.

But maybe the mix itself is not the culprit. The music was not the ideal type for surround treatment. I wonder what Elliot Scheiner himself could have done.

The definition and fidelity are great anyway, and I prefer to listen to the album in PCM stereo.

This is just a showcase that not every album are good for surround. Some are just way better in stereo.

The fidelity is garbage due to mastering. Practically every album could sound better in 5.1 if done right: especially rock with multiple overdubs.

Jesus H Christ this is bad. Hard to work with in audacity because if you highlght guitars in rears and raise levels, you also raise vocals and effect balance. Lead vocal in all speakers. I will see what I can do.

idk how people could vote high (there are 2 x 8's and a 9) on this one and not pass comment at all.. 🤷‍♀️

since we can revise our Poll votes i will revisit this one and see how i feel about it now, maybe i was wrong!? ⚖️

• Haha
Reactions: GOS
idk how people could vote high (there are 2 x 8's and a 9) on this one and not pass comment at all.. 🤷‍♀️

since we can revise our Poll votes i will revisit this one and see how i feel about it now, maybe i was wrong!? ⚖
I love the material so I am remastering this one now, but it will never be great.

Jesus H Christ this is bad. Hard to work with in audacity because if you highlght guitars in rears and raise levels, you also raise vocals and effect balance. Lead vocal in all speakers. I will see what I can do.

if the vocals in the Rears are panned in the Centre Rear position i guess you could phase cancel them out by flipping the phase on one of the Rears and summing both Rear channels to Mono.. although you'd end up with one mono Rear which wouldn't be much use unless you could extract info from another channel or two.. what's going on in the Centre and LFE?

if the vocals in the Rears are panned in the Centre Rear position i guess you could phase cancel them out by flipping the phase on one of the Rears and summing both Rear channels to Mono.. although you'd end up with one mono Rear which wouldn't be much use unless you could extract info from another channel or two.. what's going on in the Centre and LFE?
Center has some kick, snare, vocals and odd guitar part. LFE plenty of bottom.

Back