Stanyan SRQ-4017 and 4020 - do they exist?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelydave

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
Hi Mark,

Doing some quad remix engineer homework I came across these two albums in your quad discography, but I can't find a trace of them anywhere on the internet aside from a mention in the April 20th, 1974 issue of Cash Box (which I've reproduced below). Have you actually seen these in the wild? I'm mostly curious about seeing back covers if they exist, so I can verify the engineering credit - should be Carl Yanchar I think.

ELECTRONIC MUSIC -

Concerto for Human Voice & Black Box. Stanyan SRQ-4020 (SQ)
Electric Music for Electric People. Stanyan SRQ-4017 (SQ)
{The titles above were released only in quad, no stereo version known}

Cash Box 4/20/1974 pg. 10
1590567115454.png

I was curious so I had a search and found nothing on those two, some of the others pop up in searches. I imagine if the albums do exist they're strange as I found a cover/marketing promo picture for the one below - and I would think that it makes the German band Faust or 1969s White Noise "An Electric Storm" look mainstream!
1590581559064.png

I could not find anything on those titles so I guess they did not get released. I'll amend the discography's to reflect that

I was curious so I had a search and found nothing on those two, some of the others pop up in searches. I imagine if the albums do exist they're strange as I found a cover/marketing promo picture for the one below - and I would think that it makes the German band Faust or 1969s White Noise "An Electric Storm" look mainstream!
View attachment 51726
Got a copy of that

Supposedly no masters left
Guy selling cd rip on discogs , expensive .
Early electronica , bought it years ago when I picked up my first quad receiver .
Good for annoying pet dogs next door , lots of high frequencies .

I have a little more info on Electric Music for Electric People SRQ-4017. I happened to be browsing the discogs page for Stanyan recently after Real Gone reissued Music to Freak Your Friends and Break Your Lease and noticed an entry for a test pressing of this album had been added:

https://www.discogs.com/release/23598599-Heins-Hoffman-Richter-Electric-Music-For-Electric-People
The entry appears to have been created by reissue producer extraordinaire Andy Zax (who most recently did that huge Woodstock box set for Warner, I think) and he's included the following note at the bottom of the listing:

"Three copies made. In plain paper sleeve; no jacket. "KENDUN" in dead wax.

Although the album and its catalog number appeared in Stanyan promotional materials, no commercial version was ever issued.
"

So I think we can definitively say "never released" (unless you include test pressings as 'released') but that a matrix quad master at the very least exists, or existed at the time.

Back