Star Trek: Picard in 5.1 surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongojr

This comes out on 10/6/2020 and unfortunately wasn't broadcast in 5.1 surround. I can't wait to experience this amazing evolution in Star Trek that explores the characters we love and steps up the genre to a more adult audience. I can't wait and hope that Paramount/CBS gives it a Dolby Atmos soundtrack!!! IMHO this could be one of the best Star Trek series of all time. PS: Check out Doom Patrol. People with psych problems that have no business having superpowers, but they are sympathetic.

Slightly off topic (sorry) but I really wish they would have restored DS9 and Voyager for Blu Ray release (with 5.1) The BD restoration of TNG is incredible.

Apparently, the reason they haven't/wont do the same thing for DS9 and Voyager is that all of the editing and effects were done on video tape, not the original 35mm films, so the "restoration" was actually a completely new edit of the entire thing. All 178 episodes! 😲

Sadly, the sales and profits of the TNG BD were so low that the others are highly unlikely to be restored. :(

I guess the only good thing that came out of it is that the market was flooded with excess TNG Blu Rays, and you can now pick the boxed set of the entire thing up stupidly cheap.

Contrary to TNG, the majority of special effects on DS9 and VOY are CGI, and they were rendered at video (NTSC) resolution. And even if the original files were still available (it seems a lot has been lost to time), they’re so old now that you wouldn’t be able to use them in modern software, to re-rendered them at HD resolution. They were very few CGI in TNG, so the cost to redo them entirely from scratch was acceptable, but for DS9 and VOY it would be very expensive!

Slightly off topic (sorry) but I really wish they would have restored DS9 and Voyager for Blu Ray release (with 5.1) The BD restoration of TNG is incredible.

Apparently, the reason they haven't/wont do the same thing for DS9 and Voyager is that all of the editing and effects were done on video tape, not the original 35mm films, so the "restoration" was actually a completely new edit of the entire thing. All 178 episodes! 😲

Sadly, the sales and profits of the TNG BD were so low that the others are highly unlikely to be restored. :(

I guess the only good thing that came out of it is that the market was flooded with excess TNG Blu Rays, and you can now pick the boxed set of the entire thing up stupidly cheap.

CBS All Access has all of the Star Trek series available...straight from the original series through to the most recent cartoon. So it’s not surprising that BDs of these series are a hard sell. The video quality of a Voyager episode that I last watched wasn’t as good as previous ones, so I wonder what’s up.
This comes out on 10/6/2020 and unfortunately wasn't broadcast in 5.1 surround...
I wasn‘t in 5.1? I’ll have to see if I can get it in 5.1. I only watched it with Mrs Surround on the upstairs TV, not on the home theater rig in the basement. So I never checked the audio stream.

Well, it wasn't "broadcast" at all, but I do recall getting 5.1 from CBS All Access via Amazon Prime Video here in the 'States.
That is interesting since you didn't get 5.1 but a processed signal. I subscribed to CBS All Access, downloaded the Android app on my Channel Master Stream+ DVR and only got stereo. I then contacted them directly to find out how to get 5.1 surround and they said CBS All Access didn't support 5.1 surround yet. I told them to work on it.

At least they are on DVD, presented the best they can in 5.1 surround. I really love the Star Trek collections they made. My favorite is Time Travel with the best episodes from all of the series!!!

At least they are on DVD, presented the best they can in 5.1 surround. I really love the Star Trek collections they made. My favorite is Time Travel with the best episodes from all of the series!!!
I remember the days of Laserdisc when you only got 2 episodes (1 front & 1 back) on a disc for $30. The only thing good about investing in the 178 episodes/89 Laserdiscs = $2,700 is that I paid them forward for the same cost of the DVD release and then the Blu-ray release by selling them on Ebay for the cost of upgrading without making a profit.

I watched this series via an Amazon Prime stream and I can definitely confirm that the audio was 640kbps Dolby Digital+ 5.1.

I watched the entirety of Star Trek: The Next Generation (rescanned and remastered in beautiful HD) on Netflix and then all the TNG cast movies in anticipation of this, and (with a few misgivings) I really enjoyed it - there were a few genuinely emotional moments for me in the series.

It's my understanding that some (a lot?) of the hardcore Trek fans don't like the darker style and/or the serialized season-long arc of the show, but I thought it was an interesting and refreshing change. Did the series have it's dumb/bad moments? Sure, but having watched all of TNG recently, I think you have to remember that even at its peak in seasons 5 & 6 it still had its fair share of dumb and corny moments, and a lot of the first 2 seasons is borderline unwatchable. I understand Picard has been renewed for a second season, whenever that may be - I'm looking forward to seeing where they take it.

Back