HiRez Poll Starr, Ringo - 5.1 [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Ringo Starr - 5.1

• Total voters
So, are you saying you don't care about the surround mx? Given the nature of this forum, that seems a bit odd.

It's not that I don't care about the surround mix, but I have two systems.

The better of the two, and the one that gets used the most, is 2 channel only so I want to be able play DVD-A's on that system in stereo.

I've bought a few discs in recent months (Natalie Merchant, Tom Cochrane, Little Feat) that, unbeknownst to me, have no 2 channel option so they don't get played much (my wife is typically using the MC system to watch TV). As a result I'm trying to stay away from discs that are exclusively 5.1.

I suppose that viewpoint is heresy on this forum ;)

Not heresy Rang but probably 179 degrees away from most here:eek:. I love good Hi Rez stereo too but all my limited resources are pushed into having the best of both worlds in one system. Being single helps too:D.

Finally I am giving this one a listen. It ain't half bad! I even actually like the music on the first two tracks. Not sure about the rest yet. Didn't really care for the next couple set of songs. Anyway... good enough sound and a fine surround mix.

I bought this having read the previous comments and am not disappointed, so thanks all!

Music: It's Ringo, so you probably know what to expect. But within those limitations, it is done very well. Never Without You is a lovely tribute to George H from his friend - touching without being sickly. And while the album is nowhere near Beatles standard, there are lots of Beatley bits. Nice, happy tunes, played well, lots of variety but still identifiably Ringo.

Sound: I thought this wasn't such high fidelity as some DVD-As, but I've just seen comments about it being bass heavy, so I will try turning the sub down a bit to see. Others are very happy so I'm sure they're right.

Disc: Simple but still nicely put together. Dulby, DTS and DVD-A plus a separate CD for those who want it.

Mix: Very good. The surrounds are kept busy and there's even the occasional bit whizzing round the room, so pretty much perfect. Only disappointment is that Richie's drums are not as big sounding as they could be - I wanted them spread wider.

Overall, it's a 7 for me personally, because the music is competent but not too exciting. But I voted 9 based on the mix. If you like Ringo, this is a no-brainer.

FINALLY bought this disc on amazon.
Don't know why it took me so long to due so, cause I'm a HUGE Beatles fan, but I've never really been too interested in Ringo's recent output.
Once it gets here, I'll listen, review, and vote! :)

Too bad EMI couldn't put together a "Photograph" DVD-A or SACD. To be able to hear the best tracks of Ringo's from 1970-1974 would be KILLER!

FINALLY bought this disc on amazon.
Don't know why it took me so long to due so, cause I'm a HUGE Beatles fan, but I've never really been too interested in Ringo's recent output.
Once it gets here, I'll listen, review, and vote! :)

Too bad EMI couldn't put together a "Photograph" DVD-A or SACD. To be able to hear the best tracks of Ringo's from 1970-1974 would be KILLER!

I think you'll like it. I agree that some of Ringo's other tracks would have been great on DVD-A or SACD in multichannel. As it is, EMI, and the other major record companies, missed the boat on so many great recordings that would have been great on those formats. Too bad.

I was amazed that somebody had put a one in the voting..(Poor surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content it certainly isn't...besides those sort of votes are saved for silverline dvda where it's so bad you can't give a negative)...until i saw who did it...Jon I think you missed one here...

I was amazed that somebody had put a one in the voting..(Poor surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content it certainly isn't...besides those sort of votes are saved for silverline dvda where it's so bad you can't give a negative)...until i saw who did it...Jon I think you missed one here...

Yea, that would be out good friend who has been banned, if you look up his page. I guess he had a bad meltdown, even came after me, and I didn't do anything.

I haven't figured out how to delete those votes yet. I will, though. The tricky part is not removing the vote, it's removing the vote and the member number who made that vote. I do not want to corrupt the DB.

I haven't figured out how to delete those votes yet. I will, though. The tricky part is not removing the vote, it's removing the vote and the member number who made that vote. I do not want to corrupt the DB.

Would it be easier to flag them as "outliers", similar to the HiRez Poll?

Would it be easier to flag them as "outliers", similar to the HiRez Poll?

Well, the poll calculations will do that, but I would prefer them gone. Will be trying it on Sunday (after backing up the database! :) )

I vote 8. This grew a little on me, decent music and decent mix. I like it.

I didn't like music at all. I couldn't even sell it for $10 either. I eventually traded it in at a local store for $4 store credit after repackaging it in a crappier case. That was the best feature: the case it came in.

Back