Quad LP/Tape Poll Steely Dan: Countdown To Ecstacy [QS/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Countdown To Ecstacy

• Total voters
My number 1 as well. That and Pretzel were the last two albums with different song styles for each song. After that, they moved into a funk and cool jazz groove for most of their songs. Nothing wrong with that, but it wasn't nearly as exciting.
Yeah, the Dan's first three albums are my favorites. Can't Buy A Thrill is my favorite and Countdown and Pretzel go back and forth between #2 and #3. Bodhisattva and My Old School are killer rockers. This quad is dull sounding as far as equalization goes, thus I gave it only an 8.

OK the mix is a little too muddy and conservative, compared to Can't Buy a Thrill, which I think is their most discrete, but this is my favorite of their albums. The quad era managed to capture many artists at their peak, and SD is one of them. I never cared for much they did after this, including Aja, which I know is heretical to SD fans. Their quad albums songs are so perfect to my ears. Now. About the sound quality. Why oh why did ABC roll off their QS releases? Almost (but not quite) all of them sound like they were recorded in the closet. This one is no exception. So I am torn. I give the material a 10, the mix an 8 and the sound a 6.Averages to an 8, I guess.
Played the Can’t Buy A Thrill Q8 for a visitor last week. He couldn’t believe what he was hearing. Was all wow, wow, wow! I’ve never heard these songs like this! Not the first time that has happened and not the last.

This one sounds pretty good actually. The tape itself was unwound a bit (like many eBay tapes are) but after re-spooling and setting the tension and adding new pad it plays great. (the answer to your question is: Yes, it was me.) I rebuild all the Q8 tapes I buy from eBay, even ones that are still sealed. I've been doing it (the rebuild) since the mid 70s so it's 2nd nature for me now. After tossing a dozen or so tapes, trashing ones that went bad ended and I started fixing instead.

Golden anniversary this month (exact release date is hard to come by...).
Such a great LP and even a pretty decent sound and mix, which is not too common for ABC. Can't believe its been that long. I don't see how that is possible, since I am not that old yet...

Back