DVD/DTS Poll Steely Dan - Gaucho [DTS CD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTSCD of Steely Dan - GAUCHO

• Total voters
Great music, and a great surround mix. A definate 10. :banana:

This was one of my first surround purchases, and one I still listen to quite regularly. Honestly, I think I prefer this mix to the later SACD mix. This one seems to be fuller, with richer sound. (And, from what I understand, the SACD mix is actually missing some elements.)

dprokopy said:
This was one of my first surround purchases, and one I still listen to quite regularly. Honestly, I think I prefer this mix to the later SACD mix. This one seems to be fuller, with richer sound. (And, from what I understand, the SACD mix is actually missing some elements.)

This one was my "first" too.... ;)
Boy when that blue light came on my Sony receiver....thing's changed :D
I like the new mix on the SACD/DVD-A but some of those missing elements really piss me off to no end. Plus my SACD was pressed by Crest (n)
So I find myself listening to the DTS version more often.

(REVIEW FOR THE SACD VERSION - oops, sorry, wrong thread :D )

A no brainer;

INDUSTRY STANDARD!!!

or

"let us show you how to do a Surround Mix"

Open and bright...the best...

i.e. buy it!!!

A pleasure to play every time-
and
great to test HiFi Systems obviously...

Last edited:
I've only just got this one as I had no idea it was a different mix to the DVD-A version until Jon told me the other day.
Will be giving it a spin & voting later on - it's going to have to be darned good though, as I love the DVD-A.....

I've only heard this DTS edition(edit: I only have the DTS here to play, and do own the DVD-A as well), so all I can add is that this is a very enjoyable, discrete mix with nice sonics. My regret, I suppose, is that because it's my least favorite of the Steely Dan albums(though not too 'least'--a matter of degree, really), I wish another title--AJA, or COUNTDOWN TO ECSTASY--has been chosen instead. But for what it is, essential for the MC enthusiast. An '8'....

ED :)

This one was my "first" too.... ;)
Boy when that blue light came on my Sony receiver....thing's changed :D
I like the new mix on the SACD/DVD-A but some of those missing elements really piss me off to no end. Plus my SACD was pressed by Crest (n)
So I find myself listening to the DTS version more often.

Don't know if it's my system , but the DTS sounds too "midrangey" and without as much prescence as the sacd...

Funnily and curiously enough, I must admit that my SACD input is analog (multiCh in)as opposed to the Optical In from the dts signal, so I don't know if I'm getting some weird ass signal upgrading from the receiver...

SACDs sound INCREDIBLE (warm AND with harmonics only for cats and dogs :mad:@:) compared to the rest of the stuff...in my system i.e.

Don't know if it's my system , but the DTS sounds too "midrangey" and without as much prescence as the sacd...

Funnily and curiously enough, I must admit that my SACD input is analog (multiCh in)as opposed to the Optical In from the dts signal, so I don't know if I'm getting some weird ass signal upgrading from the receiver...

SACDs sound INCREDIBLE (warm AND with harmonics only for cats and dogs :mad:@:) compared to the rest of the stuff...in my system i.e.

I th8ink that you are somewhat mistaken about the truth of SACD top end!!
All there is above 23KHz, my friend, is noise - and a lot of it as well. No music at all - this is because DSD is a single bit system (Dare I say from a 2-bit company?) that requires the use of some heroic noise shaping technology to make what was designed as an archival format listenable.
There are absolutely no ultrasonics at all on any SACD.
(For all those who are doubtless outraged by now, I suggest that you take a spectral analysis off of any SACD transfer. The tools don't lie)

The mixes are different, the processes are also different. DTS-CD - good as it is - is still a lossy technology as it is a data reduction process.

Hey, 23KHz is good enough for my neighbors' dog!!! :)

Thanks for the research, I personally thought that Freq Resp in SACDs would reach at least 25KHz, but not much more...LPs are supposed to go up to 30KHz- do you have any LPs that you have measured that go up there? it would be interesting if I had the gear... I could record an Lp into Logic at 96 KHz and have the Spectrum analyzer scan it...

As I pointed out, I'm sure it's my system that gives it that EQ , even though I don't change the EQ (you can't in Mult Ch In)....

Finally got my copy: IMHO it sounds as good, if not better, than my DVD/A version
In my new Acura TLX/ELS system, there are nuances, from "Glamour Profession", that I've never heard before
I know the ELS is awesome, but this disc is the bomb; bass response is tight, & off the charts; 5.1 surround is perfectly spaced, & the dynamic range couldn't be better. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

I started with the DVD audio and thought it was fantastic. Then I found the SACD for a decent price. Preferred the bass impact of the SACD plus it's easier to play.
I actually got the DTS CD last.
I noticed right away that the DTS had a fuller sound. There is "extra" percussion here. Not sure how the original vinyl sounds...?
I also prefer the mid bass on the DTS. You can really hear someone plucking those strings. Not just a thump - thump like other bass.

One of the absolute BEST dts discs ever released. Elliott Scheiner mixed and Bob Ludwig mastered. Hard to top that powerhouse duo. This release by dts was designed to showcase dts as premium sound format. Also in the days when dts and Dolby (AC-3) were going head to head about which codec was the better sound.

I th8ink that you are somewhat mistaken about the truth of SACD top end!!
All there is above 23KHz, my friend, is noise - and a lot of it as well. No music at all - this is because DSD is a single bit system (Dare I say from a 2-bit company?) that requires the use of some heroic noise shaping technology to make what was designed as an archival format listenable.
There are absolutely no ultrasonics at all on any SACD.
(For all those who are doubtless outraged by now, I suggest that you take a spectral analysis off of any SACD transfer. The tools don't lie)

The mixes are different, the processes are also different. DTS-CD - good as it is - is still a lossy technology as it is a data reduction process.
What's worse I wonder - the DSD limitations (some say it sounds exactly like 24/96kHz PCM, and they can't hear any differences), or the lossy DTS CD here with the Gaucho title?

Anyway, seems the DTS mix is one of the better ones ever released in the CD format.

Back