HiRez Poll Steely Dan - GAUCHO [DVD-A/SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/SACD of Steely Dan - GAUCHO

• Total voters
A 10 from me. Classic Album, brilliant surround, just right use of multi channel.
SACD version, as purchased new last week.

This showcases all that is good in multichannel audio. I have the SACD and the DVDA, has anyone else noticed the menu on the DVDA spells the album Goucho.......Ouch

This showcases all that is good in multichannel audio. I have the SACD and the DVDA, has anyone else noticed the menu on the DVDA spells the album Goucho.......Ouch

Maybe they were watching some Marx Bros. movies when authoring the DVD-A ;)

Now that I have the DVD-A , there is this much more improvement over the SACD, which is still great (any MCH is good with me)...

BTW, anybody want the SACD?? I'm selling it!!!

This is one of my favorite, well, scratch that, it is MY FAVORITE SD record....get goosebumps every time "Time Out of Mind" plays....awesome stuff!!!

Even though I rated Gaucho a 7, I'm a hard core SD fan. Seen them live three times and have seen Fagen solo and NY Rock & Soul Revue. Time Out of Mind may be their best track ever. That track does elicit goosebumps.

Linda
Direct from Lhasa

Maybe they were watching some Marx Bros. movies when authoring the DVD-A ;)

Now that I have the DVD-A , there is this much more improvement over the SACD, which is still great (any MCH is good with me)...

BTW, anybody want the SACD?? I'm selling it!!!

This is one of my favorite, well, scratch that, it is MY FAVORITE SD record....get goosebumps every time "Time Out of Mind" plays....awesome stuff!!!

Kamakiriad is a great album, as is Gaucho. I believe that Fagen has yet to top Nightfly, which I prefer to Gaucho. Morph was pretty strong. I saw him live on that tour and again that year as Steely Dan w/McDonald.

Linda
:smokin With Jazz and Conversation, From the Foot of Mt. Belzoni

I like kamakiriad a lot. I really like the 5.1 mix and how they used it especially in "Teahouse on the tracks".

Ok. So I just bought this disc from eBay on SACD.

Can someone confirm that the DVD-Audio offers the exact same content as the SACD? (high-res stereo and surround mixes) No other bonus tracks or videos?

easily one of my all-time fave surround albums, this and The Nightfly are on heavy rotation.

I also prefer the DVDA to the SACD.. but I tend to spin the SACD more nowadays, as I don't have to switch the projector on and go faffing about with menus etc..

plus it takes my setup a fraction longer to lock onto the PPCM of the DVDA than it does the DSD stream of the SACD and so the first little drum intro of Babylon Sisters gets cut off on my DVDA :eek:

Can someone please direct me to somewhere that I can get a basic description of the technical differences between 5.1 dts CDs, multi-channel SACDs, DVD-Audio and Blu-Rays?

The SACD of Steely Dan's 'Gaucho' is easily one of my all-time favorites. I have always been very surprised to not see 'Aja' in the same format. I did just recently get the new Japanese SACD (of Aja) which sounds phenomenal, but it's not in surround. Gaucho got me back into Steely Dan and resulted in my getting both "Last Mall" and "Everything Must Go". While in my opinion not as good as Gaucho, they both sound excellent in surround. I haven't noticed much of a difference between the SACD & dts CD (of Gaucho). Maybe I will give them both a spin tonight to see!

Blu ray audio spec (from the Wikipedia entry for "Blu Ray")

For audio, BD-ROM players are required to support Dolby Digital (AC-3), DTS, and linear PCM. Players may optionally support Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD High Resolution Audio as well as lossless formats Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio.[102] BD-ROM titles must use one of the mandatory schemes for the primary soundtrack. A secondary audiotrack, if present, may use any of the mandatory or optional codecs.

The same page has a table with all the sound formats (and their variations) available to authors of Blu Ray discs.

The SACD of Steely Dan's 'Gaucho' is easily one of my all-time favorites. I have always been very surprised to not see 'Aja' in the same format. I did just recently get the new Japanese SACD (of Aja) which sounds phenomenal, but it's not in surround. Gaucho got me back into Steely Dan and resulted in my getting both "Last Mall" and "Everything Must Go". While in my opinion not as good as Gaucho, they both sound excellent in surround. I haven't noticed much of a difference between the SACD & dts CD (of Gaucho). Maybe I will give them both a spin tonight to see!

Some of the "Aja" albums' multi-track masters are missing (the title track and 'Black Cow' I believe) hence no 5.1 DTS cd, DVDA or SACD :(

Some of the "Aja" albums' multi-track masters are missing (the title track and 'Black Cow' I believe) hence no 5.1 DTS cd, DVDA or SACD :(

Yes and there is a reward being offered for them by Mr Fagen. Now that would be the album to hear in HR 5.1!
who knows maybe they will turn up. How do you loose something like that?It's been stolen.

You lose something like that because ABC, and later MCA didn't run the tightest ship.

When I bought this I thought it was a Gaucho Marx album. I checked the credits and he's not on it.

Hooray for Captain Spaulding, the African explorer! Did someone call me schnorer?

Yes and there is a reward being offered for them by Mr Fagen. Now that would be the album to hear in HR 5.1!
who knows maybe they will turn up. How do you loose something like that?It's been stolen.

You lose something like that because ABC, and later MCA didn't run the tightest ship.

When I bought this I thought it was a Gaucho Marx album. I checked the credits and he's not on it.

Hooray for Captain Spaulding, the African explorer! Did someone call me schnorer?

Do you think they're simply missing Linda or do you think they really have been stolen?
What would/could an average Joe Schmo do with the multitrack tapes!?

Back