HiRez Poll Steely Dan - GAUCHO [DVD-A/SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/SACD of Steely Dan - GAUCHO

• Total voters
Gaucho was my second pick after Avalon.
I was a lucky man to find two outstanding 5.1 mixes at first.

Just checking - what was being analysed above was the Gaucho dvda, and not the sacd? I have the sacd (and I voted 10 for it) and not the dvda

Last edited:
I love this disc, 10 all the way for me. I don't need to know how we got there(ultrasonic noise or any spatial anomaly that disrupts the space time continuum). Folks, put down those slide rulers and tuck the charts and graphs away and just enjoy the music. Let the music engulf you like a warm summer breeze. Despite what Pink Floyd said you actually can have your pudding without eating the meat, trust me, you can.

I'm surprised I hadn't voted on this yet. It was one of my first surround purchases as well (DVD-A) back in the days when my local Best Buy had a dedicated SACD/DVD-A section with dozens and dozens of titles (sigh). Scheiner's mix is absolutely brilliant. So seamless, as if this album was conceived for surround. It's not my favorite Dan LP (that would have to be Royal Scam) but even 2nd tier Steely Dan is remarkable and essential (IMO!). A 10 for me.

I'm surprised I hadn't voted on this yet. It was one of my first surround purchases as well (DVD-A) back in the days when my local Best Buy had a dedicated SACD/DVD-A section with dozens and dozens of titles (sigh). Scheiner's mix is absolutely brilliant. So seamless, as if this album was conceived for surround. It's not my favorite Dan LP (that would have to be Royal Scam) but even 2nd tier Steely Dan is remarkable and essential (IMO!). A 10 for me.

Can you imagine The Royal Scam in Surround!? Wowzers.. what an album!!! :yikes

I love this disc, 10 all the way for me. I don't need to know how we got there(ultrasonic noise or any spatial anomaly that disrupts the space time continuum). Folks, put down those slide rulers and tuck the charts and graphs away and just enjoy the music. Let the music engulf you like a warm summer breeze. Despite what Pink Floyd said you actually can have your pudding without eating the meat, trust me, you can.

indeed with this SACD you can...outstanding in every regard imo...'nother tenner!

Sometimes I don't need an analysis....if it sounds superb....
Will your listening to this disc change now after you made the spectral analysis? :)

I have the DTS-CD and the DVD-A. So I'm comparing 16/44.1 with 24/96. The DTS-CD is very impressive. It's not the same master/mix as the DR measurements are different with the CD being higher by some margin. I've only just done the DR comparison but it may explain why I keep going back to the DTS-CD when 'logic' tells be the DVDA should sound best.

In fact I'm starting to believe higher DR is the driver for higher poll scores right across all our polls here. Now DR is almost never published (so measured DR is not a factor) but when I've done my own readings consistently higher DR equates to higher poll scores (I've not done any real statistical analysis I have just become aware of this trend).

I've been thinking about posting DR analysis on QQ but not sure where. Is it acceptable to add a post to each Poll thread?

Time to vote, I have the DVD Audio and it's a true ten. Concerning the ultrasonics, no hot ears or unexplained headaches here and the feline is even close by. To think some years ago I thought I didn't like the Dan. Uh oh, apparently I did vote but because it's not a public poll I don't know what I gave it, hopefully I made a comment and gave it at least a nine:mad:@:

Time to vote, I have the DVD Audio and it's a true ten. Concerning the ultrasonics, no hot ears or unexplained headaches here and the feline is even close by. To think some years ago I thought I didn't like the Dan. Uh oh, apparently I did vote but because it's not a public poll I don't know what I gave it, hopefully I made a comment and gave it at least a nine:mad:@:

Click the number of people who voted to see the names of the voters, you gave it a ten! i just gave it a ten too. One of the first multichannel discs I ever bought way back for my Oppo 83se. Excellent mix, great sound quality, great band and songs. Another easy vote for me...

If you look at the poll results, and you indeed voted, the number rating you gave it will be shown in italics. For example, I gave this one a "9" and when I look at the results the "9" shows up in italics.

I've often used Steely Dan (SD) albums as audio quality reference discs. This is my first SD multi-ch SACD. Clearly (no pun intended) this is a sonic 10. It joins the ranks of my show-off media.

It is magical to feel a solid wall of sound imbued with simultaneous transparency and detail. I hope there are more such treasures to come.

It's a 9 from me. Not my favorite SD album, but for surround and fidelity it's hard to beat. Love "Babylon Sisters", "Hey Nineteen", and "Time Out Of Mind".

Last edited:
Back