Quad LP/Tape Poll Steely Dan: Pretzel Logic [QS/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Pretzel Logic"

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Third and final Quad release for the group(not the last multichannel, as it turned out), from '74.

Side 1:

1. Rikki Don't Lose That Number
2. Night By Night
3. Any Major Dude Will Tell You
4. Barrytown
5. East St. Louis Toodle-Oo

Side 2:

1. Parker's Band
2. Through With Buzz
3. Pretzel Logic
4. With A Gun
5. Charlie Freak
6. Monkey In Your Soul

I recently listened to the QS of this one, and it sure sounded like double stereo to me.

It is definitely different then the Stereo version, so they must have remixed it, but something clearly didn't go right...

This one was a major disappointment. It's my favorite Steely Dan album, but this quad mix was very sub par.

ABC Records was somewhat conservative in its quad mixes, but I thought this was a very well done recording overall. It would have been nice if ABC would have put a QS logo on their quad records so listeners would have known the right setting to use. I knew several people who thought they were SQ until I set them straight.

Definitely not an aggressive mix, but there are some subtle quaddy things going on musically, for example in Duke Ellington's "East St. Louis Toodle-oo." Agreed with Dylan in that it's an outstanding album, with tracks like "Pretzel Logic" and "Charlie Freak" (a pre-Dan Becker & Fagen song) for us Dan wackos, and of course "Rikki" which I believe was mentioned in a review somewhere as "the perfect pop song."

I wish it were more aggressive, but it still sounds great to me...

Mark Z

I have to disagree that this title (well, the Q8 anyway) is double stereo. However the Q8 does suffer from incorrect channel placement. Swapping right back to right front and right front to the back seems to open up the Quad window.

Very noticeable on the song "With a Gun", guitars in the fronts, drums in the back.

A pretty subtle quad mix, very similar to Three Dog Nights' "Hard Labour" album.

I didn't really know where to put this post, so if it is better served elsewhere please move it. I got an email today from CDJapan with the release date of Pretzel Logic on August 27th. The offerings included a SHM-CD, Platinum SHM-CD and SHM-SACD. It appears the SACD isn't multi channel:(

I didn't really know where to put this post, so if it is better served elsewhere please move it. I got an email today from CDJapan with the release date of Pretzel Logic on August 27th. The offerings included a SHM-CD, Platinum SHM-CD and SHM-SACD. It appears the SACD isn't multi channel:(

Stereo only afaik. I'll still buy it tho, come onnnn it's The Dildo's! :p (I literally have everything by them, so this'll just be another version of PL.. I think it'll be my 4th version on CD alone! :eek:

Which version will you buy?

Probably just the SHM-CD, as I've kinda gotten into the habit of buying the SHM-SACD for double albums that wouldn't fit on one CD but will fit on one SACD and then SHM-CDs for everything else and they all sound really great, most of them excellent in fact.. masterings the same on all 3 variations on the SHM theme.. and I don't need the bulky packaging of the white boxes the Platinum discs come in, shelves are already pretty full.. :p How about you Clint? What would you choose? Do you feel lucky? ;)

Probably just the SHM-CD, as I've kinda gotten into the habit of buying the SHM-SACD for double albums that wouldn't fit on one CD but will fit on one SACD and then SHM-CDs for everything else and they all sound really great, most of them excellent in fact.. masterings the same on all 3 variations on the SHM theme.. and I don't need the bulky packaging of the white boxes the Platinum discs come in, shelves are already pretty full.. :p How about you Clint? What would you choose? Do you feel lucky? ;)

So you hear no difference between the SHM-CD's and the SHM-SACD's?

I've not A-B'd any of the SHM-CDs against SHM-SACDs where they both share the same mastering :)

I guess I'm kind of surprised by that as you have so many versions of some of these titles. I quess I'm a little reluctant to choose CD's over SACD's of the same title, it's all perception I guess. Of course the whole SHM vs conventional discs is another can of worms too. After I bought my first SHM SACD of Aja I questioned the quality of SHM vs a standard hi rez disc. I recently bought both versions of Styx Paradise Theater and IMO the SHM SACD sounds just like the AF SACD, I really couldn't hear any difference.

I guess I'm kind of surprised by that as you have so many versions of some of these titles. I quess I'm a little reluctant to choose CD's over SACD's of the same title, it's all perception I guess. Of course the whole SHM vs conventional discs is another can of worms too. After I bought my first SHM SACD of Aja I questioned the quality of SHM vs a standard hi rez disc. I recently bought both versions of Styx Paradise Theater and IMO the SHM SACD sounds just like the AF SACD, I really couldn't hear any difference.

there's also timing, which leads to added cost.. the SACDs of things like Supertramp, Marvin Gaye etc have become really pricey now since I held off getting them when they first came out, so due to financial considerations I got Breakfast In America SHM-CD for £19 shipped from Japan whereas I couldn't find the SACD for anywhere near approaching sensible money when I was shopping for it recently and when I played the Supertramp CD it really sounded amazing.. that was me hooked on these DSD flat transfers and settled for CD where it all fits on one disc :)

there's also timing, which leads to added cost.. the SACDs of things like Supertramp, Marvin Gaye etc have become really pricey now since I held off getting them when they first came out, so due to financial considerations I got Breakfast In America SHM-CD for £19 shipped from Japan whereas I couldn't find the SACD for anywhere near approaching sensible money when I was shopping for it recently and when I played the Supertramp CD it really sounded amazing.. that was me hooked on these DSD flat transfers and settled for CD where it all fits on one disc :)

Whoa, I didn't see that coming! Financial considerations and fredblue shouldn't be used in the same sentence when it comes to music:yikes. Like the other contradictions in life, Civil War, CIA, Microsoft Works:cool:

Back