Stem separation for older music

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humprof

Junior Senior
QQ Supporter
piano Rear Left! horns Rear Right! this is much more Surround-y than the other Verve and Blue Note Atmos mixes of material of similar vintage! wonder how they achieved it.. 🤔
Didn't we hear from someone, somewhere, sometime recently (!), that they've begun using stem separation software on older material like the Motown stuff? Google's not helping me find anything about the recording of this particular album (which was nominated for Best Album at the very first Grammys--Ella ended up winning Best Female Vocalist), but it can't have been more than 3-track, can it?

Didn't we hear from someone, somewhere, sometime recently (!), that they've begun using stem separation software on older material like the Motown stuff? Google's not helping me find anything about the recording of this particular album (which was nominated for Best Album at the very first Grammys--Ella ended up winning Best Female Vocalist), but it can't have been more than 3-track, can it?
The Beach Boys used it for their Atmos release.

I had also posted about how Peter Jackson used it for Get Back to separate instruments on a mono mix.
Wasn’t it used to isolate dialogue, not instruments?

Back