Stereo decoded into 4 channel via vintage decoder box.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many many moons ago, I worked for Lafayette.

They had several quad receivers, but also had some decoder boxes that did Composer, and SQ, and more, like the SQ-L and the SQ-W.

I remember that I hooked it up such that I had regular stereo sound in the front speakers, but out of the side speakers, I only had the difference between the L + R channel.

I remember that I could hear just guitar coming out of the left, or just drums with no vocals coming out of the right. It was way cool to hear Jimmy Page’s guitar solo’ed coming out of the rear speakers.

Problem is, I do not have a clue how I hooked it up. Tape loop? In between the preamp and the power amp? What?

I have a SQ-L and a SQ-W.

Any help would be really appreciated. I do not even remember if I used SQ or Composer.

This was not 4 channel discrete. It was a processed 4 channel derived from stereo records.

Someone out there knows. I don’t. Can someone bring me back my memory, as I am older now.

How did I achieve this? Any help is truly appreciated!!

Usually you would connect the tape output of your amp to the decoders input with the front output going back to the tape input of the same amp. The rear outputs connect in the same manner to the rear input of the same Amp (if Quad) or to a second amp if stereo. The owners manual for the SQ-W can be found here. Lafayette SQ-W - Manual - Full Logic 4 Channel Decoder - HiFi Engine You will have to create an account to download but it's free and you can get many, many vintage manuals from there.

Thanks for the reply. Could you be a little more descriptive.

I am using a Mac C-52 preamp with 2 stereo amplifiers. Not a receiver.

Thanks again.

The SQ-W is a limited preamp by itself.

With a stereo preamp, you can connect the output of the preamp to the decoder and then to the power amps via the decoder's 4-ch outputs.

Thanks!! Could you please tell me specifically what goes out to in, or in to out?

Please be specific. What goes to where?

Again,...it is truly appreciated.

I thought that I was specific. Preamp output goes to your amplifiers input. Use tape monitor input or auxiliary input, whatever you have.

Thanks!! Could you please tell me specifically what goes out to in, or in to out?

Please be specific. What goes to where?

Again,...it is truly appreciated.

L/R from the preamp to SOURCE (Sensitivity L) in the decoder (SQ-W)

OUTPUT 4-CH in the SQ-W to the stereo power amps.

You will need to adjust the volume control in the decoder and in the preamp to suit your needs. I would put the decoder's in unity gain by ear.

Last edited:
I have a Yamaha Natural Sound Amp/Receiver hooked up to my TV & 5.1 Speakers. I use 2 sound processors in it to create either a 5 channel - stereo mix or an Enhanced 5 channel mix highlighting the treble & bass instead of Dolby or DTS which keeps the sound in the front. It is great. The amazing thing I noticed is the different size speakers and the way it decodes some sounds stronger in the front or rear. It is the next best thing to a 5.1 discrete mix. I use those with any 2 channel source for a richer sound in the room. Try it.

Back