Stereo to 4 channel tape

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently purchased a TEAC 3340 quad reel to reel deck. It is connected to my Marantz model 150 tuner and model 4140 quad amp. As with almost all quad stereo systems, The 4140 can take any stereo source and synthesize it into quad. I also have the SQ decoder. I was interested in taking a two channel source and using the 4140 matrix system, then recording that in quad on the tape deck. However, there is no signal to the tape deck for the rear channels using the matrix or the SQ decoder output. I am guessing that the quad decoding is done after the pre-amp output. Is there anyway to record The matrix or SQ output of the amp? The amp does have pre-out main-in jacks, but I don’t think using those would make any difference.

With the decoder built in and without doing surgery to the unit there would be no way to do what you are suggesting. You can do it with a separate decoder though. I fail to see the point when you can simply record the stereo and then play it through the 4140.

I recently purchased a TEAC 3340 quad reel to reel deck. It is connected to my Marantz model 150 tuner and model 4140 quad amp. As with almost all quad stereo systems, The 4140 can take any stereo source and synthesize it into quad. I also have the SQ decoder. I was interested in taking a two channel source and using the 4140 matrix system, then recording that in quad on the tape deck. However, there is no signal to the tape deck for the rear channels using the matrix or the SQ decoder output. I am guessing that the quad decoding is done after the pre-amp output. Is there anyway to record The matrix or SQ output of the amp? The amp does have pre-out main-in jacks, but I don’t think using those would make any difference.
You could use line output converters on the speaker terminals, I was going to put them on one of my receivers so I could see it on the scope but it not convenient and affected by tone/volume controls.

I found this image on line of the Marantz 4140.
1635363433774.png

From the rear shot it looks like you should have Tape Monitor In & Out to connect to enable record/playback.
1635363339557.png

The tape deck is currently connected to the amp through tape in and out connections. It seems that the only way you can get a four channel Output through those connections is to have a discrete four channel source. As par4ken mentioned, any 2 track tape played through the amp can then be synthesized into 4 channel, I was just experimenting with the new deck and I was surprised I can’t record an SQ LP in quad onto the deck. I may try running the deck through the pre in main out connections to see what happens. I appreciate the input, guys.

When I finish my setup, again, I am planning on coming out of the back my 8 in, 1 out unit and feed the one out into the Surround Master decoder and let it do its thing, and then when it is fed back into the 7.1 input channels on my a/v receiver I have 4 Y-Splitters on the four main channels which are going to go to my Teac 3440. I played the Steely Dan "can't buy a thrill " on the reel to reel the other day and ran the output end to the surround master, and at the end of one guitar solo there was a descending cord and it actually started in the right rear channel and then went over to the left rear channel which was pretty neat, so it does a good job of taking two channels and actually making a four Channel recording. so get a Surround Master:LB

Back