StereoReview: TAPE RECORDER GUIDE 1973

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want to read about Enoch Light and his thoughts on 4 Channel Sound! Boy, I bet that magazine was just flying off the shelves just for that article alone :). I wonder if they had that advertisement in the back from the Locksmith school where you could “Solve all of your future problems” by becoming a Locksmith?

Thanks Jon, great to see info like that ............ and suddenly I was 16 years old again drooling over all hi-fi/Quad equipment and wondering how I could afford it!

Thanks Jon it was interesting to compare costs to what we paid at the PX overseas.

I found the name of the place in Naples where I got the stuff from. It was a NATO Audio Exchange, not a Navy Exchange. For you old timers, it was:

NATO AFSSouth Audio Store
Viale della Liberazione,
Bagnoli, 80125
Naples, Italy

How about that?

As for the scans, I find these old things fascinating. I hope it's not boring the hell out of the younger folks. Old guys lamenting old times. I seem to feel like we do that a lot.

I checked the archives. I am sure it's not there.

Well I just put this up for people who might not know about being able to read these back issues and where to find them. I have been able to avoid buying back issues from EBay just to look at one article thanks to this site. God bless to whoever scanned all of these.

P.91 - the Astrocom/Marlux 307 discrete Quad compatible compact cassette machine appears again (I wonder how close they came to marketing it, pictures and descriptions of it were published in various magazines for more than a year).

Kirk Bayne

Interestingly enough, I read a letter to the editor of one of these old magazines I had stashed away, and a writer asked about this very machine. Apparently, it was a normal cassette deck, but it had the ability to play all four tracks at the same time. Their assumption was that a quad cassette would be a one direction, long tape.

What a trip! Can you imagine listening to a stereo cassette, the front speakers having the 'A' side of the album playing normally, and the rear channels being played backwards from the end of the album to the front.

HooWee. Pass the pipe and the Doritos!! :giggle:

Interestingly enough, I read a letter to the editor of one of these old magazines I had stashed away, and a writer asked about this very machine. Apparently, it was a normal cassette deck, but it had the ability to play all four tracks at the same time. Their assumption was that a quad cassette would be a one direction, long tape.

What a trip! Can you imagine listening to a stereo cassette, the front speakers having the 'A' side of the album playing normally, and the rear channels being played backwards from the end of the album to the front.

Yeah I bet that the Beatles or Pink Floyd would had loved to get their hands on something like this.

Ah geez. I "made" one in about 1980 out of an Ampex top load deck and an autoreverse head and other surplus parts from catalogs. It was fun to do the switching/wiring, it was only record two tracks at once but play all four, with simulsync. A deck for overdubbing. Being an ambitious kid, I suspected there would be problems but I went for it. Should've taken pictures. It did not sound very good. I even got someone to make a larger motor pulley (not quite realizing that the speed difference would change the EQ).

There was also the wonderfully clunky Panasonic RS-296US -
Panasonic Changer
But my favourite was the fabulously low tech Philips N2401 fitted with the N6711 "Ski Slope"-
Philips Changer
That Panasonic was the one I was thinking about. The Philips is kind of a riot, I was waiting to see what was going to happen with that whole chute set-up. Thought maybe theater popcorn was going to come out of it!

Back