Steve Hackett: Genesis Revisited at the Hammersmith D.D. 5.1 DVD defect 5 Star Show

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m.k. smith

Before i review this concert which is bloody freaking fantastic, i'd like to warn all buyers: there is a slight defect on the concert DVD which really ticks me off. i am sick and tired of buying discs w/ defects that are batch/run problems so you can't get another issue soon to fix it (this is a another nightmare, like Peter Hammill: Live in Berlin 1992. see my Amazon review.) there is a skip where the picture freezes for a second or two, on the song I Know What I Like, a little over halfway into the song, during the word BET-TER, in the chorus: "getting BET-TER in your wardrobe...," but the disc keeps on playing (at least in my Pioneer DVD-A/SACD player. i was sent another issue and it has the exact same problem in the same spot, so this is a batch/run problem. other's have complained in various reviews. for some stupid reason there are no running times on these DVDs. the 2nd one has an interview. why couldn't that be the problem disc, w/ the defect after the 40 min duration? "Caveat emptor." there is a small white piece of grit in the substrate in exactly the same spot. how multiple copies can have this in the same place is unexplainable. it actually looks like a white particle under a 6X magnifying glass. i called them and they are investigating pulling it. i returned the first one it w/ the UPS sticker i printed from them. i told them what i did: the programs i tried to back-up/fix it w/ initially, do not have error correction. i have two that do; i should have tried them right away. the Full Disc mode of DVD Fab i think does have it, but i am only familiar w/ the Clone function, which just stops if it hits an error. Nero does the same thing. 1Click DVDCopyPro does does have error correction feature & i have been using since '06, mostly to back-up movies. i saw when it hit the error and note a few bad sectors, but it kept going! and when i burned it, it said that it removed the bad sectors. when i played the copy, a second or so hang-up, turned into a spliced BET-TER, w/ only a pause of about 75 milliseconds!!! i can certainly deal w/ that. so i immediately made a a few repaired back-ups. i have never seen 1Click DVDCopyPro perform so well under pressure. it detected the error, and deleted it. i am definitely getting my new license for updates. (the disc is not encrypted, so you don't have to use an add-on decrypter, like DVD-43, which is free). you may get varying results playing the repaired disc in different players. my piece of crap Samsung BluRay didn't like the menu!, and the pause in my Panasonic DVD recorder/VHS was somewhat longer, but it still didn't skip, and kept playing. i refused to return the second one, for them to "compare," i sent it and the error corrected back-up to my brother for Christmas. customer service this AM said: "We need that for comparison!" i said i have gone out of my way, and at a great inconvenience to deal w/ this; pull one out of stock, and compare it. i am not returning it, especially after finding a way to doctor it. and that was that. no refund, even tho i sent the first one back. and ended up w/ a defective one. i guess that's kind of fair.
now the incredible concert: first off Steve Hackett has assembled a band that is very Genesis at their progressive peak. whatever you can say about it, Genesis themselves are NEVER going to do all this well loved material. the audience is all my age! late 40s to 50s or so and ecstatic too. mostly men w/ some wives & girlfriends, that go absolutely crazy! even dancing in aisles. they kno every note. first musician, Rob Townsend is the equivalent of Ian McDonald on saxes, flute, keyboard, percussion, vocals, keyboard that goes very well w/ the material, especially the Gabriel flute stuff, and adds a fusion sound to the whole thing.. Lee Pomeroy, bass/12 string, bass pedals vocals, rivals Rutherford, better on guitar i think. Roger King on keys; he has had before. don't miss the mellotron. he does it digital somehow, unless he is hiding it, and can really do solos, like the beginning of Firth of Fifth. very accomplished. the drummer, Gary O'Toole is sort of a punk Collins w/ a derby who sings, and does a great Broadway Melody of 1974 & Blood on the Rooftops, and many other bits sitting down, and while playing. he is fantastic. but the vocalist and the guests are what makes it. my younger bother & i, (i turned on to prog), like Marillion, who sounded just like early Genesis in the early '80s. their vocalist, Fish, was a dead ringer in sound for Gabriel, but he left around '86 to go solo. (they were still great w/ them singing and guitarist Steve Rothery. i saw them '87.) this Swedish vocalist, Nad Sylvan (from Agents of Mercy & Unifaun) sounds just like a cross between Fish & Gabriel. it is bloody uncanny. and he has black eye shadow brows, long fizzy hair, and a tambourine & cane sometimes, which is a great image for Dance on a Volcano. you have to hear to believe. now don't go saying he's a tribute band knock-off; he fits this perfect, and Yes has been doing this for decades off & on w/ good success. the guests are wonderful. Nik Kershaw comes out and sings a sublime The Lamia, commenting on the interview disc he saw the Lamb Lies Down on Broadway w/ Gabriel in early '75, and now he can't believe now he is singing The Lamia. (i saw Genesis w/ Gabriel in Rochester, N.Y. when i was 17 & 18 doing Selling England by the Pound and The Lamb, and later Trick of the Tail & Wind & Wuthering - in Paris, twice in four nites where Seconds Out was recorded - as well as And Then There Were Three, and again in '92. there is no comparison in earlier & later groups.) then Steve Rothery (again a Marillion connection) shows up later during The Lamia guitar solo and duels w/ Hackett. John Wetton sings Afterglow. perfect choice. Jakko Jakszyk sings Entangled. also a perfect choice. there is this beautiful woman, Amanda Lehman who does guitar and vocals in The Shadow of the Hierophant (only song on a Hackett rather than a Genesis Album), and sings in other parts, including Entangled. she's a keeper. you will be shocked at how damn good this is, and it is all on one DVD, and runs 2 hrs, 41 mins, 20 secs. the 2nd DVD has a Behind the Scenes that is 37 minutes, w/ an good interview w/ Hackett and why this music is so appealing to a bunch of people, and what he was aiming at w/ this band. and the guests add their bits... and all three CDs are the same as the sho, but in stereo; the sho is in Dolby Digital 5.1, and it quite a mix. so for all you hardcore Genesis fans, who feel that Genesis became a slick, overproduced, hit machine, after Hackett left, this is for you. the selections are great choices. the whole sho has plenty of surprises and variety. i couldn't go to bed. you will be amazed. it is worth a second long glitch. (it appears Amazon pulled the U.S. version. good luck in finding a playable one soon.) this music is part of the soundtrack of my life. it is imprinted on me. i love seeing it get re-imagined so well.

ॐ matthew ॐ

"A little of what you fancy does you good.... or so it should."
Ian Anderson

Back