Steve Hackett Selling England by the Pound and Spectral Mornings live at the Hammersmith 5.1 mixed by Steven Wilson

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not really familiar with early Genesis or Hackett's solo work, but all the great reviews are tempting me to pick this one up. How does the 5.1 mix compare with say, The Eagles' Farewell Tour or Loggins & Messina's Live At The Santa Barbara Bowl? Those two are my 'gold standards' for live surround mixing.

Nothing to add about the mix or sound quality, both are wonderful in this release. Against my expectations, I'm liking more the first half of the concert rather Selling England... Virgin and the Gypsy, Tigermoth and Spectral Mornings in a raw are magnificent.
My only complaint is about the video, as sometimes the image get slightly out of focus, did anyone noticed that too?

Nothing to add about the mix or sound quality, both are wonderful in this release. Against my expectations, I'm liking more the first half of the concert rather Selling England... Virgin and the Gypsy, Tigermoth and Spectral Mornings in a raw are magnificent.

I found the same - but then I’ve never quite got into the less well known songs from SEBTP, although of course tracks like Firth of Fifth and Cinema Show never disappoint. A great surround mix, no doubt helped by Mr Wilson having already done a 5.1 mix of the Spectral Mornings album.

I just ordered this from Steve's website last night and it just shipped. I have always had to adjust my 3 x 12" subs down quite a bit on his other live releases due to possible damage to my domicile by cranked Taurus pedals. I'm hoping based on previous comments that this won't be required on this one. Can't wait to watch it. From what I have heard I have perfect bass on most other titles and watching a 4K movie is something else.

I just ordered this from Steve's website last night and it just shipped. I have always had to adjust my 3 x 12" subs down quite a bit on his other live releases due to possible damage to my domicile by cranked Taurus pedals. I'm hoping based on previous comments that this won't be required on this one. Can't wait to watch it. From what I have heard I have perfect bass on most other titles and watching a 4K movie is something else.

There’s still plenty of bass pedal action, just much more controlled and not overpowering, and although it is pretty heavy on the first song (Everyday) from then onwards I found it just right.

FYI - Truth be told, these are not actual physical Taurus I pedals these days but triggered samples. Pumped up through a PA system they get pretty close at times. These MIDI pedal controllers would be triggered by Lee Pomeroy (bass / 2nd guitar) full time and then less by Nick Beggs and Roine Stolt who followed. Rob Townsend (horns, KB) would sometimes and Rob told me that Roger King (main keyboards) had taken some of the bass pedal duties.

Why do so many sites give you no clue if it's the correct version as no idea if this is the cd\bluray.
I looked up the UPC code and some of the seller's have it listed as cd\dvd so have sent a message to this seller if it's the bluray. I was waiting till amazon.ca had it but says not in stock so that's why looking else where.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/HACKETT-STE...E-POUND-SPECTRAL-MORNINGS-CD-NEW/233745839754

This is sometimes frustrating that you have to look at the pictures to know what version it is and sometimes it could be misleading. In this case Hackett blu-ray will be sold on Amazon ca November 6. What I don't like is that Amazon doesn't work with the UPC code but their own asin catalog number.

On my first listen which was just the beginning of Selling England By The Pound I leaped from my chair. I had the volume up quite a bit as I thought the roof was going to come off the house when the bass kicked in. Way too much. It seems to be mixed like a movie. So I will try it again today with my 3 subs set to movie mode which is a way lower volume from my music settings. At least I think this Hackett release will be adjustable to be listenable anyway. His other Blu Rays weren't. His releases seem to be the only ones were I have to make adjustments to the bass.

Yup the movie settings on the subs just about fixed it. It's just about perfect as concert mixes go. The only thing I would have done differently in the mix is cut back the kick drum a bit and increase Steve's guitar by quite a bit.

On my first listen which was just the beginning of Selling England By The Pound I leaped from my chair. I had the volume up quite a bit as I thought the roof was going to come off the house when the bass kicked in. Way too much. It seems to be mixed like a movie. So I will try it again today with my 3 subs set to movie mode which is a way lower volume from my music settings. At least I think this Hackett release will be adjustable to be listenable anyway. His other Blu Rays weren't. His releases seem to be the only ones were I have to make adjustments to the bass.
It is a common theme, even with the albums. The last album At the Edge Of Light has some horrible, bloated, boomy bass. It is unlistenable. I have had to adjust it in audacity, and will be burning my own disc.

Back