Steve Hackett - "Wolflight" (New Solo Album)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, it's really not that bad.
Wait and judge for yourself.

I've heard many worse titles. :)

Just to have a reference point you said you would rate this as a 7. What would you have given Squakett?
I just looked and I rated Squakett as a 6 but I think I should have given it a 3 or 4, to me Squakett sounded like a muddy compressed mess.
If you are saying this is sounding cleaner than I might still keep my order as my ears do not do well with compressed disk's as i need to crank disk's because of some age related hearing loss that I have and then I get ear faitigue for sure.

peter

My Wolflight is on the way and should be with me tomorrow or Monday. I wouldn't have cancelled, as I would have bought the cd anyway - its Steve Hackett! As for Squakett - it pains me to admit it, but, as much as I love Squire and Hackett, I think part of the problem was that the songs weren't very good in the first place.

Just to have a reference point you said you would rate this as a 7. What would you have given Squakett?
I just looked and I rated Squakett as a 6 but I think I should have given it a 3 or 4, to me Squakett sounded like a muddy compressed mess.
If you are saying this is sounding cleaner than I might still keep my order as my ears do not do well with compressed disk's as i need to crank disk's because of some age related hearing loss that I have and then I get ear faitigue for sure.

peter

I only heard Squackett one time and didn't buy it.
But as I remember I would haven given it 2 or 3.

The new Hackett is much better.

I'm listening right now about 35 minutes and I can tell you, that it is more front-heavy.
The rears are used to create an open sounding mix.
It is open sounding but a little too conservative.

If you want an immersive surround experience - you will be dissapointed.
But I like it, and I am a big fan of immersive surround.

It is a good release and the accoustic songs are really nice.
Definately worth to have it and not a Squackett-wise desaster. :)

If I had to vote right now I would give it a solid 7. :)

But have to listen to it more.

My copy arrived yesterday and I've listened to it a couple of times now. I have to agree with everything that IMachine has said about it. Not immersive or discrete really at all. I always think that its never a good sign if you continually have to step right up to the rear speakers to try and hear if there is anything really coming from them in the surround mix. This is unfortunate, as the album is excellent in terms of the quality of the songs. Much better songs than on Squackett.

Is there Hi-Res stereo on this one guys? Sound any good to you if so? (Amazon still not despatched mine..) I'm thinking if the stereo's good and the albums solid might be worth a try running it thru PLII Music, or Surround Master, etc.?

My copy arrived yesterday and I've listened to it a couple of times now. I have to agree with everything that IMachine has said about it. Not immersive or discrete really at all. I always think that its never a good sign if you continually have to step right up to the rear speakers to try and hear if there is anything really coming from them in the surround mix. This is unfortunate, as the album is excellent in terms of the quality of the songs. Much better songs than on Squackett.

This is what happens when the artist leaves it to an engineer who does not have a clue. Just like when Metallica left the mixing of Death Magnetic to be dictated by Rick 'brickwall' Rubin. I am not surprised, in fact I knew how it would end up. Major waste.

Is there Hi-Res stereo on this one guys? Sound any good to you if so? (Amazon still not despatched mine..) I'm thinking if the stereo's good and the albums solid might be worth a try running it thru PLII Music, or Surround Master, etc.?

It is a sad state when we have to do that! Maybe somebody will do a great upmix from the hi rez files? Do not write off upmixes, they often sound better than 90% of real 5.1 mixes.

Some songs do definately use the rears more.
Especially when it comes to orchestral or accoustic elements.

The rears are not only used for ambience, but often.

Imagine there's no stereo (listening to "Imagine" right now in my car :) )

Some songs do definately use the rears more.
Especially when it comes to orchestral or accoustic elements.

The rears are not only used for ambience, but often.

Imagine there's no stereo (listening to "Imagine" right now in my car :) )

I'll have to listen to it again closely, and also try and find time to listen to the stereo version on the bluray for Mr Blue. I have listened to the cd and that was excellent sounding. As I said, I think this is a great album and will get many plays. I'm not sure at the moment though how many of these plays will be the cd and how many the surround blu ray (sacrilege I know :spot!). I found listening to the "surround" version a bit wearing, as I felt that I couldn't relax and just listen to the songs, as I was straining to try and catch any surround moments.

I found listening to the "surround" version a bit wearing, as I felt that I couldn't relax and just listen to the songs, as I was straining to try and catch any surround moments.

How ironic, given that most exclusively stereo listeners often label an active surround mix as being "distractive". I think your posts shows that the opposite is true (at least for most of us here).

How ironic, given that most exclusively stereo listeners often label an active surround mix as being "distractive". I think your posts shows that the opposite is true (at least for most of us here).

Indeed, not to mention annoying. I am always thinking that instrument could of been coming out of the rears or 'why aren't those background vocals in the rears'.

I really like the album but the 5.1 mix is really just a slightly expanded stereo version. At least the sound isn't brickwalled so it's still an enjoyable experience once you get over the nagging feeling that so much more could have been done with the surround mix.

peter

This is not a 7. I would rate the 5.1 mix a 3, and that is being kind. ABYSMAL.

Wow! Wooooh! With a better surround mix this could have been the best new surround album of 2015 (besides SW's HCE) in my book. I appreciate that Mr Hackett has been into surround none the less.

Wow! Wooooh! With a better surround mix this could have been the best new surround album of 2015 (besides SW's HCE) in my book. I appreciate that Mr Hackett has been into surround none the less.

Indeed. The album is really good, beautiful guitar tones, great production, shame there is no real 5.1 mix.

Totally agree, I have lots of stereo albums that have much more of a surround feel in fake surround, too bad, the album is really good though music and production wise as you said.

I have the Blu Ray and I have also looked at tracks in Audacity. I can't find anything in rears that is not in front speakers. It is a complete joke. I have 200 upmixes superior to this. Make me pretty p*ssed off to be honest!

Back