Steve Hackett - "Wolflight" (New Solo Album)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw Steve Hackett post this on twitter today:

"If anyone needs direct answers from me, email me via [email protected] and I'll attempt to answer all questions."

I sent this in(was in a hurry did not do spell check,that wasn't smart). Maybe someone that is a way better wordsmith than I can send in something to Steve as well asking him about his surround output.

Steve, I want to thank you for all the wonderful music you have created over the years with Genesis and your Solo output. I truly mean this as I have always admired what you first brought to the table in genesis with your great guitar playing and wish they had listened to you more about accepting more of your songs to be included into the Genesis albums. The albums you were apart of are my favorite genesis albums as you and peter gabriel added so much to the sound of Genesis. Your solo stuff continued the great tradition of great music.

My question is a bit of a critical one about your solo albums that have been done in surround, your stereo album and cd’s are stellar, the surround recordings I am afraid to say are very weak.
Roger King seems to have a good ear for recording your music in stereo but he does not understand surround I am afraid.
The Roger King surrounds of yours both the last 2 live albums and your last album(Wolflight) just sound like a stereo recording just mapped out to the rear speakers and I don’t think the centre chanell speaker is used or very little use.
A good surround should spread out the vocals and instruments to the whole surround field and rear speakers should be used just as heavily as front speakers in reproducing and making a 3D sound experience.
This spreading out should give you the sound that you are right in the middle of the band with band playing to your front left,main vocals in centre channel,and rear speakers for secondary vocals or maybe a second guitar back right,drums front or back,bass same could be in front or back etc.

I have over 500 surround recordings and most people from the surround site I am a part of are music fans that all came to surround the same way, we could not believe how much albums could be opened up or heard in a different way by having all 5.1 speakers used evenly in spreading the music around.

Steven Wilson understands how surround music should be done and I am so glad to see that he is doing one or 2 of your original albums.
Which albums did he do?

I hope you don’t mind this criticism as its because your music is so fantastic and it deserves to be heard in the best way possible and the surround is a fail not just for me but for I would say 100’s or maybe even 1000’s of music fans.

See here as a example of some posts from surround forum site with about 8,000 members.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ght-quot-(New-Solo-Album)&highlight=wolflight

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...-back-catalog-in-surround&highlight=wolflight

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/entry.php?210-wolflight-steve-hackett-5-1-mix

peter

I appreciate your enthusiasm about wanting to express your disappointment in the surround mix to Steve Hackett himself, but the whole point of the email address is to ask Steve questions, which you barely did. The only real question you asked was about what albums Steven Wilson has remixed in surround (and thanks for doing so!)
Besides that, it was just a criticism of how bad the surround mix of "Wolflight" is.

How do you honestly think he'll respond to something like that? Artists never like to be put on defense, especially for something as relatively minuscule as this, and especially when we are getting better surround mixes of better SH albums very soon!

We all were properly warned that RK mixed this in surround, and that he has a very unsatisfactory track record for doing surround mixes, so most complaints are pretty moot IMHO.

I'd encourage people to not go down the same route to complain about the surround mix unless you can actually form your complaint into a short and precise question.

I appreciate your enthusiasm about wanting to express your disappointment in the surround mix to Steve Hackett himself, but the whole point of the email address is to ask Steve questions, which you barely did. The only real question you asked was about what albums Steven Wilson has remixed in surround (and thanks for doing so!)
Besides that, it was just a criticism of how bad the surround mix of "Wolflight" is.

How do you honestly think he'll respond to something like that? Artists never like to be put on defense, especially for something as relatively minuscule as this, and especially when we are getting better surround mixes of better SH albums very soon!

We all were properly warned that RK mixed this in surround, and that he has a very unsatisfactory track record for doing surround mixes, so most complaints are pretty moot IMHO.

I'd encourage people to not go down the same route to complain about the surround mix unless you can actually form your complaint into a short and precise question.

The only way progression occurs is if we voice our discontent. Obsequious ones get nothing in life.

I saw Steve Hackett post this on twitter today:

"If anyone needs direct answers from me, email me via [email protected] and I'll attempt to answer all questions."

I sent this in(was in a hurry did not do spell check,that wasn't smart). Maybe someone that is a way better wordsmith than I can send in something to Steve as well asking him about his surround output.

Steve, I want to thank you for all the wonderful music you have created over the years with Genesis and your Solo output. I truly mean this as I have always admired what you first brought to the table in genesis with your great guitar playing and wish they had listened to you more about accepting more of your songs to be included into the Genesis albums. The albums you were apart of are my favorite genesis albums as you and peter gabriel added so much to the sound of Genesis. Your solo stuff continued the great tradition of great music.

My question is a bit of a critical one about your solo albums that have been done in surround, your stereo album and cd’s are stellar, the surround recordings I am afraid to say are very weak.
Roger King seems to have a good ear for recording your music in stereo but he does not understand surround I am afraid.
The Roger King surrounds of yours both the last 2 live albums and your last album(Wolflight) just sound like a stereo recording just mapped out to the rear speakers and I don’t think the centre chanell speaker is used or very little use.
A good surround should spread out the vocals and instruments to the whole surround field and rear speakers should be used just as heavily as front speakers in reproducing and making a 3D sound experience.
This spreading out should give you the sound that you are right in the middle of the band with band playing to your front left,main vocals in centre channel,and rear speakers for secondary vocals or maybe a second guitar back right,drums front or back,bass same could be in front or back etc.

I have over 500 surround recordings and most people from the surround site I am a part of are music fans that all came to surround the same way, we could not believe how much albums could be opened up or heard in a different way by having all 5.1 speakers used evenly in spreading the music around.

Steven Wilson understands how surround music should be done and I am so glad to see that he is doing one or 2 of your original albums.
Which albums did he do?

I hope you don’t mind this criticism as its because your music is so fantastic and it deserves to be heard in the best way possible and the surround is a fail not just for me but for I would say 100’s or maybe even 1000’s of music fans.

See here as a example of some posts from surround forum site with about 8,000 members.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ght-quot-(New-Solo-Album)&highlight=wolflight

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...-back-catalog-in-surround&highlight=wolflight

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/entry.php?210-wolflight-steve-hackett-5-1-mix

peter

Great stuff.

Voice of reason. You are correct I framed a major complaint and only asked one correct question. Guess that's what happens when I was working with many problems at my work today and am also working on very little sleep so when I saw Steve's twitter post, thought here's my chance and quickly fired that off while solving some network issues at work at same time. Oh well.......

The only way progression occurs is if we voice our discontent. Obsequious ones get nothing in life.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't necessarily voice your discontent, but there's a right and a wrong way to do it, so do it the right way, and make sure you're addressing the right person when doing so!

SH is an intelligent artist. I'm pretty sure if he reads through peterzach's email at all then he will think about it. What he'll be doing afterwards is another question...

I'm not saying that you shouldn't necessarily voice your discontent, but there's a right and a wrong way to do it, so do it the right way, and make sure you're addressing the right person when doing so!

What is the right way then? King is unreachable.

What is the right way then? King is unreachable.

In this instance, it would have been phrasing the complaint into a more precise question, especially one that is not as "preachy".
And another thing, even if you could contact King, any "advice" given would be futile as he's gonna mix as he wants as long as the client likes it. That's the way it is. You mix for yourself and whomever you're mixing for (aka whomever's paying you...). If mixing guys listened to the advice of every fan that told them how to do things, they would never get anything done as there would be contradictions of opinions everywhere.

In this instance, it would have been phrasing the complaint into a more precise question, especially one that is not as "preachy".
And another thing, even if you could contact King, any "advice" given would be futile as he's gonna mix as he wants as long as the client likes it. That's the way it is. You mix for yourself and whomever you're mixing for (aka whomever's paying you...). If mixing guys listened to the advice of every fan that told them how to do things, they would never get anything done as there would be contradictions of opinions everywhere.

King's mix is nothing like Steve said it would be. He will continue to put out poor mixes if WE the consumer accept it, and say nothing. We can at least hope our discontentment inspires him to change his approach.

There was a European band that remastered an album because fans complained the original was too compressed!

Voicing one's opinion is never futile. I have spoke to a few engineers via emails over the years and not all are closed minded, some like input!

I understand about giving artists feedback, but aren't we closing the barn door after the cow has already left? SH got SW to do his latest surround mixes. I'd think a simple "so glad you're now using SW for your surround mixes, since he's one of the best and RK's surround mixes leave a lot to be desired" would be sufficient.

I understand about giving artists feedback, but aren't we closing the barn door after the cow has already left? SH got SW to do his latest surround mixes. I'd think a simple "so glad you're now using SW for your surround mixes, since he's one of the best and RK's surround mixes leave a lot to be desired" would be sufficient.

Giving feedback on past releases is never futile, for it could lead to better quality in the future. Obviously one has to phrase it in the correct manner, I agree with that.

We can barely hear something in the rears on short passages, doesn't worth to have this BLu-Ray edition.

I listened to WOLFLIGHT tonight in its entirety (again) this time treating it with Ultra Bit Diamond + and although it doesn't restore the somewhat vacant surrounds....what it did do was create an incredible soundfield which reverberated to the rears.

I love this album and hate to see it disappear into the recesses of one's listening room because with a little TLC....this is a wonderful listening experience. It rocks, it's proggy has some beautiful vocals and melodies which played at a robust volume fills the room with some of Hackett's most inspired music in awhile.

I give it a SOLID 8.

I listened to WOLFLIGHT tonight in its entirety (again) this time treating it with Ultra Bit Diamond + and although it doesn't restore the somewhat vacant surrounds....what it did do was create an incredible soundfield which reverberated to the rears.

I love this album and hate to see it disappear into the recesses of one's listening room because with a little TLC....this is a wonderful listening experience. It rocks, it's proggy has some beautiful vocals and melodies which played at a robust volume fills the room with some of Hackett's most inspired music in awhile.

I give it a SOLID 8.

I really like this album, I wish it would have been mixed in surround. ATMOS would be killer.

Back